wazua Tue, Sep 24, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages12>
Safaricom - NFC SIM Cards
mv_ufanisi
#1 Posted : Monday, March 17, 2014 12:19:07 PM

SCOM has one up their sleeves. What do you think will happen?

http://techmoran.com/developing...disrupt-mobile-payments/
symbols
#2 Posted : Monday, March 17, 2014 12:36:50 PM

smile
webish
#3 Posted : Monday, March 17, 2014 1:00:59 PM

mv_ufanisi wrote:
SCOM has one up their sleeves. What do you think will happen?

http://techmoran.com/developing...disrupt-mobile-payments/

Good things will happen. Uptake of "fancier" technology. smile

Wouldn't mind tapping my NFC enabled gadget to pay. Not sure though about the effect on the already existing "channel partners & ecosystem" for MPESA Payments/Lipa na MPESA etc.

Life is joy, death is peace, but the transition is very difficult.
muganda
#4 Posted : Monday, March 17, 2014 2:13:57 PM

Leader in Kenya NFC space is BebaPay from Google/Equity Bank, though even their results are mixed. So government steps in forcing all PSV to require such payments.

Safaricom has a knack for announcing, announcing, announcing; but what of action!
o Content streaming, TV leader is Zuku
o Online professional courses following MSK, KSPS, Inoorero
o Internet to Schools piqued by Wananchi
o Matatu MPesa pay bill first announced Sep 2013

KulaRaha
#5 Posted : Monday, March 17, 2014 2:50:44 PM

They will cannibalize their own Mpesa.
Business opportunities are like buses,there's always another one coming
muganda
#6 Posted : Monday, March 17, 2014 9:10:24 PM

Oh I missed another business by announcement; Safaricom and warehouse receipting for maize and cereals http://www.businessdailyafrica....84/-/jvj1uj/-/index.html

KulaRaha wrote:
They will cannibalize their own Mpesa.

@KulaRaha, not if the NFC uses the same MPesa wallet, deducting MPesa value after every transaction like in Vodafone Fiji. All those independent cards like NMG prepaid, MiFone etc. & their own I&M MPesa Prepay Safari card may face some pressure though.

washiku
#7 Posted : Tuesday, March 18, 2014 1:56:37 PM

This could be a great hit for them. The challenge with Mpesa has been the STK issue. If they are able to integrate Mpesa to the NFC Sim card, it means they will be the leaders in Matatu payments, supermarket payments, etc. That way they will be truly unbwogable.

ION, the reason why Mpesa does so well in this market is coz banks think its easier to work alone instead of together. I wonder why I should withdraw money from my account to Mpesa so as to be able to send to someone else real-time. If banks were better inter-linked, they would easily by-pass Mpesa.
washiku
#8 Posted : Tuesday, March 18, 2014 2:02:24 PM

Am also wondering...will Safcom allow these Sim cards to be integrated with Mobile Banking platforms such that one can make a payment via NFC directly from their bank account?
webish
#9 Posted : Tuesday, March 18, 2014 2:58:05 PM

washiku wrote:

ION, the reason why Mpesa does so well in this market is coz banks think its easier to work alone instead of together. I wonder why I should withdraw money from my account to Mpesa so as to be able to send to someone else real-time If banks were better inter-linked, they would easily by-pass Mpesa.

smile

bird_man
#10 Posted : Tuesday, March 18, 2014 3:18:49 PM

webish wrote:
washiku wrote:

ION, the reason why Mpesa does so well in this market is coz banks think its easier to work alone instead of together. I wonder why I should withdraw money from my account to Mpesa so as to be able to send to someone else real-time If banks were better inter-linked, they would easily by-pass Mpesa.

smile

How else would you want to do it?I think your SIM CARD must be out there before you even think of being a dominant player in mobile money.
Formally employed people often live their employers' dream & forget about their own.
webish
#11 Posted : Tuesday, March 18, 2014 4:35:35 PM

bird_man wrote:
webish wrote:
washiku wrote:

smile

How else would you want to do it?I think your SIM CARD must be out there before you even think of being a dominant player in mobile money.

I think @Washiku meant, that Banks should have made it "extremely" easy to transfer money, so that we wouldn't have to 'download into mpesa before finally sending to someone.
That's exactly what MPESA did.

bird_man
#12 Posted : Tuesday, March 18, 2014 5:36:56 PM

webish wrote:
bird_man wrote:
webish wrote:
washiku wrote:

smile

I think @Washiku meant, that Banks should have made it "extremely" easy to transfer money, so that we wouldn't have to 'download into mpesa before finally sending to someone.

Formally employed people often live their employers' dream & forget about their own.
symbols
#13 Posted : Friday, March 28, 2014 9:11:58 PM

I want to see how they will convince people to show their phones in public.
vky
#14 Posted : Friday, March 28, 2014 10:30:41 PM

local banks should jump on to this NFC bus and roll out NFC enabled ATM cards now that they are upgrading to chip tech, i use one and its very convinient
'One headache for famous medieval holy people was that someone might murder you to acquire your body parts for the relics trade'
washiku
#15 Posted : Sunday, March 30, 2014 1:29:37 PM

webish wrote:
bird_man wrote:
webish wrote:
washiku wrote:

smile

Exactly. Interbank transfer should be easy, straightforward and real time. Banks can always agree on how to settle with each other. Its very doable.
washiku
#16 Posted : Sunday, March 30, 2014 1:31:32 PM

vky wrote:
local banks should jump on to this NFC bus and roll out NFC enabled ATM cards now that they are upgrading to chip tech, i use one and its very convinient

By the way is the current Equity card being advertised NFC enabled?
vky
#17 Posted : Sunday, March 30, 2014 1:38:58 PM

washiku wrote:
vky wrote:

its enabled, the little wi-fi like sign next to the chip shows its NFC enabled
'One headache for famous medieval holy people was that someone might murder you to acquire your body parts for the relics trade'
XSK
#18 Posted : Monday, March 31, 2014 8:16:42 AM

vky wrote:
washiku wrote:
vky wrote:

@vky

Where do you use it in KE? I mean what kind of transaction?
You will know that you have arrived when money and time are not mutually exclusive "events" in you life!
vky
#19 Posted : Monday, March 31, 2014 10:28:53 AM

XSK wrote:
vky wrote:
washiku wrote:
vky wrote:

@vky

sorry didnt clarify where, i dont use it in KE, i use it mostly to pay for tickets (train, tram and bus) and anywhere where there is NFC point of sale where you tap the card
XSK
#20 Posted : Monday, March 31, 2014 10:55:38 AM

vky wrote:
XSK wrote:
vky wrote:
washiku wrote:
vky wrote:

@vky

sorry didnt clarify where, i dont use it in KE, i use it mostly to pay for tickets (train, tram and bus) and anywhere where there is NFC point of sale where you tap the card

@Vky

Understood smile
You will know that you have arrived when money and time are not mutually exclusive "events" in you life!