wazua Wed, Sep 25, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages12>
Facebook buys WhatsApp
masukuma
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 20, 2014 9:59:24 AM

Brian Acton of WhatsApp

I am pretty sure that you already know (or soon will know) that Facebook bought whatsApp for a huge amount of money ($16 - $19 billion dollars in cash and stocks). What most people don't know is that one of the co-founders was actually rejected by facebook and twitter not so long ago!!

All Mushrooms are edible! Some Mushroom are only edible ONCE!
simonkabz
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 20, 2014 10:16:54 AM

Who owns Viber? It has far better features than whatsapp.
TULIA.........UFUNZWE!
masukuma
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 20, 2014 10:33:53 AM

simonkabz wrote:

Let me tell you - its not about the functionality, its about the people who are already in it! 1 million people a day signing up?

remember - If you are not paying for it, you are not the customer. You are the product.

secondly, they are different types of apps. i guess viber is also shopping out there for a buyer.... it may actually be Microsoft (remember they bought skype)
mkonomtupu
#4 Posted : Thursday, February 20, 2014 10:39:24 AM

whatApp has only 55 employees servicing 455 million people around the world. Damn that's efficiency
masukuma
#5 Posted : Thursday, February 20, 2014 10:45:34 AM

mkonomtupu wrote:
whatApp has only 55 employees servicing 455 million people around the world. Damn that's efficiency

nope... its called computing!! its probably a bunch of guys on the backend (maybe less than 10) and the rest are in teams doing the apps! android app, iOS, Windows Phone, Blackberry, apps for the OVi store e.t.c. plus a couple of administrative guys.
mkenyan
#6 Posted : Thursday, February 20, 2014 11:48:46 AM

masukuma wrote:
simonkabz wrote:

Let me tell you - its not about the functionality, its about the people who are already in it! 1 million people a day signing up?

remember - If you are not paying for it, you are not the customer. You are the product.

secondly, they are different types of apps. i guess viber is also shopping out there for a buyer.... it may actually be Microsoft (remember they bought skype)

viber was recently bought for usd 900 by rakuten. you should keep up to date with it news mr. it. smile
alma
#7 Posted : Thursday, February 20, 2014 11:54:59 AM

masukuma wrote:
simonkabz wrote:

Thats like a bit more than $40 per user.

Has anyone ever done a valuation of the value of a user in the Kenyan or African market?
Jose: If I make it through this thug life, I'll see you one day. The Lord is the only way to stop the hurt.
simonkabz
#8 Posted : Thursday, February 20, 2014 11:59:14 AM

mkenyan wrote:
masukuma wrote:
simonkabz wrote:

viber was recently bought for usd 900 by rakuten. you should keep up to date with it news mr. it. smile

900 what? Damn that was cheap!
TULIA.........UFUNZWE!
muganda
#9 Posted : Thursday, February 20, 2014 12:04:47 PM

Whatsapp user worth one-quarter a Facebook user

The news today is that Facebook has snorted its pout following Snapchat's earlier rebuff and conquered Whatsapp instead. How's that, looked down by an upstart so you link up with the fastest growing company in social media.

And on that note, you overlook your own mistake at turning down a guy who turned up for an interview Aug-2009 to come back and pay his company $19b instead.

Anyways, here's what you're worth as a social media user...
To Facebook $128
To Twitter $118
To LinkedIn $84
To Whatsapp $42
To Instagram $33
To Viber $3

At this insane valuations, a Whatsapp user will need to be on the app for 42 years just to even out. How much is a Wazua user worth?
http://www.forbes.com/sites/geo...bout-that-linkedin-drop/
muganda
#10 Posted : Thursday, February 20, 2014 12:07:59 PM

And next time your wowed by Safaricom's 3,500 employees just remember that this Whatsapp 19$bn company has only 50 employees.
#11 Posted : Thursday, February 20, 2014 12:11:18 PM

masukuma wrote:
I am pretty sure that you already know (or soon will know) that Facebook bought whatsApp for a huge amount of money ($16 - $19 billion dollars in cash and stocks). What most people don't know is that one of the co-founders was actually rejected by facebook and twitter not so long ago!!

Fascinating to know that FB would have saved $16-19b if they'd hired this guy. These stories just remind us of how great and dynamic life is...

BBI will solve it
:)
mkenyan
#12 Posted : Thursday, February 20, 2014 12:14:59 PM

simonkabz wrote:
mkenyan wrote:
masukuma wrote:
simonkabz wrote:

think they may probably be regretting selling at that price. and to imagine it even had voip calling. although despite the many features that viber has i have never lived it. and was pretty slow on my phone too.
simonkabz
#13 Posted : Thursday, February 20, 2014 12:17:54 PM

mkenyan wrote:
simonkabz wrote:
mkenyan wrote:
masukuma wrote:
simonkabz wrote:

think they may probably be regretting selling at that price. and to imagine it even had voip calling. although despite the many features that viber has i have never lived it. and was pretty slow on my phone too.

I like the emoticons n the VoIP. Whatsapp is too basic .....wacha niite goggles za vaimba
TULIA.........UFUNZWE!
innairobi
#14 Posted : Thursday, February 20, 2014 12:21:34 PM

If they hired him, he probably would never have come up with Whatsapp. An employee's scope of work is far more restricted than that of a business owner.

2012 wrote:
masukuma wrote:

Fascinating to know that FB would have saved $16-19b if they'd hired this guy. These stories just remind us of how great and dynamic life is...

All my friends are heathens, take it slow. Wait for them to ask you who you know. Please don't make any sudden moves.
McReggae
#15 Posted : Thursday, February 20, 2014 12:25:49 PM

innairobi wrote:
If they hired him, he probably would never have come up with Whatsapp. An employee's scope of work is far more restricted than that of a business owner.

2012 wrote:
masukuma wrote:

I agree with @innairobi, watssup may never have been!!!
..."Wewe ni mtu mdogo sana....na mwenye amekuandika pia ni mtu mdogo sana!".
Angelica _ann
#16 Posted : Thursday, February 20, 2014 12:33:22 PM

McReggae wrote:
innairobi wrote:

2012 wrote:
masukuma wrote:

I agree with @innairobi, watssup may never have been!!!

Such ideas are killed in brainstorming sessions and strategy meetings by your boss when you want to outhine them!
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
masukuma
#17 Posted : Thursday, February 20, 2014 12:42:14 PM

mkenyan wrote:
masukuma wrote:
simonkabz wrote:

i rarely pay attention to sub $1 billion buy outs. Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

i also think they will regret it as they have a healthy 550k user per day registration rate!
simonkabz
#18 Posted : Thursday, February 20, 2014 1:12:31 PM

What of the Chinese we chat?

5. Popularity Counts
It would appear that WeChat has the most
functionality and features to offer among the
three while Viber has more support on more
platforms , leaving WhatsApp as only a basic
messaging app that works for smartphones
(and one you have to pay to continue using)
But ask around and it’s probably that more
of your friends are using WhatsApp rather
than WeChat or Viber.
WhatsApp had the advantage as it was
released earlier than the other two apps,
hitting the smartphones in September 2011,
while Viber was released in Dec 2012 as a
direct competitor to Skype. Both reported
having 200 million users in April and May of
this year. In comparison, WeChat may have
400 million registered users but only around
50 million of them are outside of China.
Which Is Right For You?
If you want to meet new people for business
or leisure, then WeChat is definitely for you.
It is almost like a standalone social network
app which allows you to connect with
people outside of your contact list and is
enjoyed by many teenagers. It’s Hold to Talk
feature is also gaining popularity as some
people like to communicate by talking
instead of the slower text messaging.
You would like Viber if you’re constantly
working on a Windows or Mac computer as
you can quickly send messages to friends
on smartphones, without having to pick up
your mobile device. It’s also great for
business purposes with its ability of high
quality voice calls.
However, WhatsApp is still the app to have
mainly because most people have this "old"
app. But due to its limited functionalities
and it being a paid app, you may need to
find alternative methods to contact your
friends. What good is a messaging app if
you paid to use it but your friends don’t
want to? It’s always good to install a free
alternative just to keep close contact with
buddies.
Conclusion
As a conclusion, these 3 apps are amazing
tools for communication offering more than
a regular SMS service, without the need to
pay for sending messages. However, these
messaging apps may face competition from
the rise of Facebook Messenger, Hangouts
(formerly known as Google Talk) and Skype
which could possibly replace these apps
later on.

http://www.hongkiat.com/...viber-wechat-comparison/
TULIA.........UFUNZWE!
masukuma
#19 Posted : Thursday, February 20, 2014 2:05:47 PM

ah! this thread has been moved to 'Markets' to kill it!!
mkenyan
#20 Posted : Thursday, February 20, 2014 2:14:40 PM

masukuma wrote:
mkenyan wrote:
masukuma wrote:
simonkabz wrote:

i rarely pay attention to sub $1 billion buy outs. Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

i also think they will regret it as they have a healthy 550k user per day registration rate!

Laughing out loudly
viber wuz surely robbed. no wonder snapchat last year turned down billions from facebook.