wazua Mon, May 6, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Mergers and acquisitions of small businesses in Kenya
xtina
#1 Posted : Saturday, February 01, 2014 11:15:33 AM

Has anyone been involved in one? And I'm not talking about Safaricom-level type of M&As, just small Kenyan business, preferably those worth less than 0.5 million dollars.
Apart from looking at aspects like registration,governance, P and L, cash-flow and the balance sheet, structures, operations, etc, what else should one look at? Apart from this 'obvious' things, what else should one really look at, zile za ndani?

What about those who have worked in companies that were acquired? What did they look at? How was the process? Again, I'm not looking at big companies as what I've read seems to be quite different.

Anyone whose career is in M and A? Would love to hear all this opinions.
Rollout
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 05, 2014 10:19:33 PM

xtina wrote:
Has anyone been involved in one? And I'm not talking about Safaricom-level type of M&As, just small Kenyan business, preferably those worth less than 0.5 million dollars.
Apart from looking at aspects like registration,governance, P and L, cash-flow and the balance sheet, structures, operations, etc, what else should one look at? Apart from this 'obvious' things, what else should one really look at, zile za ndani?

What about those who have worked in companies that were acquired? What did they look at? How was the process? Again, I'm not looking at big companies as what I've read seems to be quite different.

Anyone whose career is in M and A? Would love to hear all this opinions.

The challenge is always how in sync the businesses/ companies..... Thats the biggest! Once you have that, you can answer the intergration questions.
Scooby
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 05, 2014 10:57:58 PM

Hi xtina,

Other aspects of an M & A transaction do include - the impact of the key persons (or major owner - shareholders) on the transaction. Is (s)he willing to stay on a bit longer for transition purposes, their remuneration compared to market rates and the extent of self - financing to the business in comparison to financing at market rates.

Also, an analysis of key customers is important should the current owners cease to run the business - they could opt out as well. On the same breadth is the "ownership" of the brand(s), logo(s) or even company name.

Closely related to the above stuff is whether a there is a need for a non - compete agreement (like what the owner of Nice & Lovely) had to commit to.

This are the stuff I could think at the moment. If I get more stuff later, will share that with you.

Hope this helps.
xtina
#4 Posted : Saturday, February 08, 2014 4:44:57 PM

Thanks, taken notes.