#21 Posted : Wednesday, January 08, 2014 11:56:26 PM

seppuku wrote:
lexx wrote:
radio wrote:
Money Whisperer wrote:
lexx wrote:
I appreciate your inputs,
at what mileage should the timing belt be changed and at what cost & process

change that damn thing the moment you buy the car and start your service timings from there.

Costs?

what would be the cost of doing this? Why would a person opt to rewind the odometer as compared to replacing the belt?

I spent KES 35,000 on my Subaru Impreza, at the dealership. I am sure you will hear different prices for different cars and different repair shops so this should only be indicative.

I think i spent about 3k for a corolla about 3yrs ago. I was in traffic when the old one suddenly snapped and had to call my mechanic who surprisingly turned up with a new timing belt and fitted it on the side of the road.
seppuku
#22 Posted : Thursday, January 09, 2014 2:25:17 PM

jaggernaut wrote:
seppuku wrote:
lexx wrote:
radio wrote:
Money Whisperer wrote:
lexx wrote:

change that damn thing the moment you buy the car and start your service timings from there.

Costs?

what would be the cost of doing this? Why would a person opt to rewind the odometer as compared to replacing the belt?

I spent KES 35,000 on my Subaru Impreza, at the dealership. I am sure you will hear different prices for different cars and different repair shops so this should only be indicative.

I think i spent about 3k for a corolla about 3yrs ago. I was in traffic when the old one suddenly snapped and had to call my mechanic who surprisingly turned up with a new timing belt and fitted it on the side of the road.

Quick sale: Subaru Impreza. Trade in with Toyota Corolla is acceptable. smile
Learn first to treat your time as you would your money, then treat your money as you do your time.
Impunity
#23 Posted : Thursday, January 09, 2014 5:40:13 PM

Money Whisperer wrote:
lexx wrote:

What will happen if I dont change it at 100K? Will the risk of it snapping pap without warning increase or is their some fuel saving?
Those two concerns are key to me, the rest are aesthetics.

Portfolio: Sold
You know you've made it when you get a parking space for your yatcht.

Money Whisperer
#24 Posted : Thursday, January 09, 2014 7:52:45 PM

Impunity wrote:
Money Whisperer wrote:
lexx wrote:

What will happen if I dont change it at 100K? Will the risk of it snapping pap without warning increase or is their some fuel saving?

yes the risks of the belt snapping will be at an all time high and snap it will one day around Voi. Once it snaps the risk of bending the valves increase and with it a week at Njoro the mechanic's yard while you run up and down grogon with your oily sample in hand
"Money never sleeps"
jaggernaut
#25 Posted : Thursday, January 09, 2014 10:06:48 PM

Impunity wrote:
Money Whisperer wrote:
lexx wrote:

You will know the importance of changing it at100k km when it snaps hapo makaburini near nyayo stadium at 3am when you are getting home from the pub in town. Choices have consequences.
premio
#26 Posted : Thursday, January 09, 2014 11:00:56 PM

All VVTI engines for Toyota are controlled by oil pressure and solenoids, they are a chain engine. This is good economy wise because the timing varies with the changing operating conditions. Less maintenance because the belt does not need changing, but care must be followed to change the oil at the recommended intervals
EFI premios Carinas Ae110 should be changed every 100000kms other models like mazda nissan mitshubishi ask your local dealer not the polytechnik mechanic

Jus Blazin
#27 Posted : Friday, January 10, 2014 12:58:22 AM

Impunity wrote:
Money Whisperer wrote:
lexx wrote:

I took someone to the airport for their honeymoon. I could hear a krrr sound, but the Kenyan in me lengad. Return journey, the car stalled 3 times. I was lucky to reach bellevue oil libya where it stalled completely. Cost me over 60k to repair, sijui gasket iliumia, sijui valves, sijui nini. Wee! A timing belt normally looks like a small thing to consider but, it's true; choices have consequences.
Luck is when Preparation meets Opportunity. ~ Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Bababoi
#28 Posted : Friday, January 10, 2014 3:37:17 PM

The timing belt on my "pre-owned" impreza snapped....Jeez..wont go into the details. Decided to replace the parts with brand new parts (to be safe) the quotation including labour came to 75K....I bought a new engine at 65K and paid labor of 5K to fit it (staki stress) The old engine sits in my dads garage that I cannibalise to sell for parts
jaggernaut
#29 Posted : Friday, January 10, 2014 4:34:04 PM

Subaru engines are very vulnerable to catastrophic engine failure after timing belt snapping because of the way they are designed i.e interference horizontally opposed boxer engines.
www.nicecarinc.com/faqs/...-subaru-timing-belt.html
Stra
#30 Posted : Friday, January 10, 2014 4:39:02 PM

Mine has just crossed the 100k kms. For those who have changed, do you buy the full timing kit including tensioners ama ni belt pekee?
lexx
#31 Posted : Friday, January 10, 2014 4:50:37 PM

Stra wrote:
Mine has just crossed the 100k kms. For those who have changed, do you buy the full timing kit including tensioners ama ni belt pekee?

good question

I am following this
seppuku
#32 Posted : Friday, January 10, 2014 5:09:28 PM

lexx wrote:
Stra wrote:

good question

I am following this

Full kit. All those components tap out about the same time.
Learn first to treat your time as you would your money, then treat your money as you do your time.
JkMwatha
#33 Posted : Friday, January 10, 2014 6:21:40 PM

jaggernaut wrote:
Subaru engines are very vulnerable to catastrophic engine failure after timing belt snapping because of the way they are designed i.e interference horizontally opposed boxer engines.
www.nicecarinc.com/faqs/...-subaru-timing-belt.html

Hence some Subarus with H6 engine (eg Outback) have timing chains instead of belts.
jaykay
#34 Posted : Friday, January 10, 2014 7:54:47 PM

@JkMwatha: i thought all subaru boxer engines below 2,000cc are non-invasive i.e. if timing belt snaps the engine isn't damaged.However, 2500cc boxer subaru engines aren't the same the belt katikas- toast goes your engine.

On Mileage rule of the the thumb is below 120,000Kms with good maintenance-you'll do fine.The hard part is finding out if maintenance was done.
PEULIAR KENYANS- If you look at Japan Motis, prices drop considerably after 130,000 kms regardless of condition."Bright" Kenyans buy cars on mileage NOT condition.Have you seen the KBX Toyota's that smoke in the jam?Till the buyers get savvier, they keep buying RA Grade "30,000Km" 7 year old cars
JkMwatha
#35 Posted : Saturday, January 11, 2014 12:49:15 AM

jaykay wrote:
@JkMwatha: i thought all subaru boxer engines below 2,000cc are non-invasive i.e. if timing belt snaps the engine isn't damaged.However, 2500cc boxer subaru engines aren't the same the belt katikas- toast goes your engine.

I don't know about the smaller engines... as a matter of fact, the H6 I was referring to, is the sweet sounding 245bhp Outback 3.0 R Premier package.
wilyum
#36 Posted : Saturday, January 11, 2014 9:13:52 AM

seppuku wrote:
lexx wrote:
Stra wrote:

good question

I am following this

Full kit. All those components tap out about the same time.

good to knw,am almst there too and the price at subaru kenya,wolololo.

@seppuku, where did you buy yours?
AlphDoti
#37 Posted : Saturday, January 11, 2014 10:52:38 AM

Money Whisperer wrote:
lexx wrote:

This discussion is very good, but I wonder what advice @Money Whisperer is giving here smile
Are you telling the guy to emphasize the lie tto himself and next owner that the car is now brand new from show room with 0km odometer? I thought you don't need to have brand new odometer in order to know when is next service, just note down current reading x, next service is x+5000km Liar
wilyum
#38 Posted : Saturday, January 11, 2014 11:20:58 AM

jaggernaut wrote:
seppuku wrote:
lexx wrote:
radio wrote:
Money Whisperer wrote:
lexx wrote:

Costs?

wewe,hii 3k ni belt pekee yake ama the whole system including tensionsers and gears?
JkMwatha
#39 Posted : Saturday, January 11, 2014 11:52:44 AM

AlphDoti wrote:
Money Whisperer wrote:
lexx wrote:

This discussion is very good, but I wonder what advice @Money Whisperer is giving here smile
Are you telling the guy to emphasize the lie tto himself and next owner that the car is now brand new from show room with 0km odometer? I thought you don't need to have brand new odometer in order to know when is next service, just note down current reading x, next service is x+5000km Liar

@AlphD, if I'm not wrong I think he means change the timing belt rather than the speedo.
AlphDoti
#40 Posted : Saturday, January 11, 2014 11:01:53 PM

JkMwatha wrote:
AlphDoti wrote:
Money Whisperer wrote:
lexx wrote:

@AlphD, if I'm not wrong I think he means change the timing belt rather than the speedo.

Pwaaah it's true, I just re-read his post and surely he was referring to the belt not odo d'oh!
@MW lol smile