wazua Tue, Sep 24, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages123>»
preowned cars
lexx
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 07, 2014 6:36:18 PM

I am intending to buy a pre-owned car.

Dear wazuans,
How does the mileage of the car help in assessing the condition of the vehicle & if it has been tampered with, what would be the drawbacks?

Thank you
ZZE123
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 07, 2014 6:55:57 PM

lexx wrote:

Dear wazuans,
How does the mileage of the car help in assessing the condition of the vehicle & if it has been tampered with, what would be the drawbacks?

Thank yuo

90% of the times this has been fiddled with.
The man who marries a beautiful woman, and the farmer who grows corn by the roadside have the same problem
webish
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 07, 2014 7:19:21 PM

ZZE123 wrote:
lexx wrote:

Dear wazuans,

Thank yuo

Ok. with above noted, what would be a safe car mileage for pre-used purchase? Assuming from Japan?

<70K KMS?
<100K KMS?
<200K KMS?

Life is joy, death is peace, but the transition is very difficult.
seppuku
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 07, 2014 7:58:25 PM

webish wrote:
ZZE123 wrote:
lexx wrote:

Dear wazuans,

Thank yuo

Ok. with above noted, what would be a safe car mileage for pre-used purchase? Assuming from Japan?

<70K KMS?
<100K KMS?
<200K KMS?

I believe most of them are tampered with once the car gets here so you can trust the ones you see in Japan but not in Kenya. But maybe I am just being naive about the Japanese, but hapa kwetu it is a poorly guarded secret.

I personally treat cars whose mileage works out to less than 10,000 km a year with a lot of suspicion. In my view, it is possible but not likely.

That being said, the single greatest risk I see with driving a fake mileage car is inadvertently neglecting to change your timing belt when you should. Granted that many cars will carry on for thousands - some even tens of thousands - of kilometers after when the manufacturer says you should change it, it is not a chance you want to take if you can help it.

In my opinion, a 7 year old ex-Japan car with between 70,000 and 120,000 km is a good buy, though in general the price should go down with the mileage. Lower than that I would smell a rat. Higher than that I would start worrying it might feel a tad too old. Rattling parts and all.

Still, I have seen a good number of decent, high-mileage off-roaders. Old-school Mercs and Volvos too. For those I would make an exception. But nothing beats personally checking out a car yourself if you can. With a bit of horse sense and good old Google, you should know how to spot the common signs of trouble. You don't need a mechanic to see that a car has an oil leak for example.

My two cents.
Learn first to treat your time as you would your money, then treat your money as you do your time.
jerry
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 07, 2014 9:10:47 PM

Check the general mileage of cars from www.japan-partner.com.
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it's conformity.
JkMwatha
#6 Posted : Tuesday, January 07, 2014 11:57:15 PM

seppuku wrote:
webish wrote:
ZZE123 wrote:
lexx wrote:

Dear wazuans,

Thank yuo

<70K KMS?
<100K KMS?
<200K KMS?

I believe most of them are tampered with once the car gets here so you can trust the ones you see in Japan but not in Kenya. But maybe I am just being naive about the Japanese, but hapa kwetu it is a poorly guarded secret.

I personally treat cars whose mileage works out to less than 10,000 km a year with a lot of suspicion. In my view, it is possible but not likely.

That being said, the single greatest risk I see with driving a fake mileage car is inadvertently neglecting to change your timing belt when you should. Granted that many cars will carry on for thousands - some even tens of thousands - of kilometers after when the manufacturer says you should change it, it is not a chance you want to take if you can help it.

My two cents.

in some cars, if that belt snaps while the car/engine is running.. it may damage the pistons and valves as well as affect other components.... crankshaft, connecting rods, camshaft.
In all cases, when the timing belt fails, the engine instantly stops.

If you're not sure, have the timing belt changed, regardless.
lexx
#7 Posted : Wednesday, January 08, 2014 8:07:02 AM

I appreciate your inputs,
at what mileage should the timing belt be changed and at what cost & process
ahoo
#8 Posted : Wednesday, January 08, 2014 9:58:40 AM

At 100,000 kms is the general rule
You were put on this earth to achieve your greatest self, to live out your purpose, and to do it fearlessly.
Money Whisperer
#9 Posted : Wednesday, January 08, 2014 11:32:32 AM

lexx wrote:

change that damn thing the moment you buy the car and start your service timings from there.
"Money never sleeps"
Odec
#10 Posted : Wednesday, January 08, 2014 1:17:16 PM

You have been a member since:: 8/14/2009
Also check the exhaust if oily or smoky especially on start - up know the rings & valve seals are nearing their end life even though the car mileage says 30000km
LiVE sIMpLE thiNk BiG
radio
#11 Posted : Wednesday, January 08, 2014 1:35:05 PM

Money Whisperer wrote:
lexx wrote:

change that damn thing the moment you buy the car and start your service timings from there.

Costs?
Chaka
#12 Posted : Wednesday, January 08, 2014 1:42:19 PM

ahoo wrote:

What about vehicles having a timing chain i/o timing belt?
lexx
#13 Posted : Wednesday, January 08, 2014 2:03:41 PM

radio wrote:
Money Whisperer wrote:
lexx wrote:

Costs?

what would be the cost of doing this? Why would a person opt to rewind the odometer as compared to replacing the belt?
seppuku
#14 Posted : Wednesday, January 08, 2014 2:06:22 PM

Chaka wrote:
ahoo wrote:

Leave it alone. Those ones are generally designed to last the life of the car. Still, RTFM smile
Learn first to treat your time as you would your money, then treat your money as you do your time.
seppuku
#15 Posted : Wednesday, January 08, 2014 2:08:58 PM

lexx wrote:
radio wrote:
Money Whisperer wrote:
lexx wrote:

Costs?

what would be the cost of doing this? Why would a person opt to rewind the odometer as compared to replacing the belt?

I spent KES 35,000 on my Subaru Impreza, at the dealership. I am sure you will hear different prices for different cars and different repair shops so this should only be indicative.
Money Whisperer
#16 Posted : Wednesday, January 08, 2014 2:10:23 PM

Chaka wrote:
ahoo wrote:

chains are meant to last a lifetime but some don't. For such you wait till you hear the krrr sound you know the chain is slipping or you open the cover and inspect it kama chain ya bike
"Money never sleeps"
seppuku
#17 Posted : Wednesday, January 08, 2014 2:12:00 PM

seppuku wrote:
lexx wrote:
radio wrote:
Money Whisperer wrote:
lexx wrote:

Costs?

I spent KES 35,000 on my Subaru Impreza, at the dealership. I am sure you will hear different prices for different cars and different repair shops so this should only be indicative.

As for the question about tampering with the odometer, it is not instead of replacing the timing belt, it is instead of NOT tampering with the odometer. When you phrase it like that the answer becomes more obvious: because that will fool Kenyans into paying more for the car. Actually some people will simply walk away from an otherwise good car on the basis of high mileage alone.
radio
#18 Posted : Wednesday, January 08, 2014 2:20:53 PM

seppuku wrote:
lexx wrote:
radio wrote:
Money Whisperer wrote:
lexx wrote:

Costs?

Thank you for the cost approximation!
lexx
#19 Posted : Wednesday, January 08, 2014 2:39:11 PM

seppuku wrote:
seppuku wrote:
lexx wrote:
radio wrote:
Money Whisperer wrote:
lexx wrote:

Costs?

As for the question about tampering with the odometer, it is not instead of replacing the timing belt, it is instead of NOT tampering with the odometer. When you phrase it like that the answer becomes more obvious: because that will fool Kenyans into paying more for the car. Actually some people will simply walk away from an otherwise good car on the basis of high mileage alone.

I appreciate your insight on the highlighted
kenmac
#20 Posted : Wednesday, January 08, 2014 9:57:26 PM

I would not personally consider the mileage as the most important factor while purchasing a second hand car. Whereas it is a pointer of wear and tear, it is the maintenance of the vehicle that matters most. I know of a Mitsubishi pajero owned by an institution and has been used since circa 1989. It has done about 570,000kms and several people have been waiting for its auction, even though it seems not forthcoming. The point is, maintenance and the condition of the car are the most important factors to consider when buying a preowned car. This might be hard to establish when importing though because it can be a low mileage car previously involved in some serious accidents. If possible to get a history of the car, and do a physical inspection of the car, i think it would be most helpful.
......Ecclesiastes