wazua Thu, May 2, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Crazy Opportunity from the Budget.
JIT
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 16, 2009 3:51:00 PM

Guyz the budget presents a vibrant opprotunity for innovative bzzmen. Scan this provision in the Budget.Uhuru proposes to amend the Banking Act to allow banking to be offered through agencies. The agencies will be allowed to transact bank business and accept deposits. This means that banks do not have to incur arbitrary costs of opening branches,hiring staff and other operational costs such as rent. It will therefore be possible for Banks to offer banking services to members of the public through agents by simply paying them commisions. The banks will therefore be able to reach out to unbable especially in areas where it is not viable to offer branches. Once the CBK releases regulations,it is time to tale advantage of this window of opportunity. Who said there are no jobs in Kenya. Uhuru has Offered Kenyans an opportunity to invest. Looking it from another angle i think it could be a strageby by banks to beat MJ with his MPESA.

JIT
Njunge
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 17, 2009 5:00:00 AM

This agents would still need to operate in a secure brick and mortar environment.......and knowing Kenyans,anybody would be wary of agents.Look at the mess that is the insurance and capital market courtesy of similar agent arrangements.....I stilll would trust my mobile phone,MJ and his Mpesa than some red eyed agent (of doom?).Now,tell Uhuru to go find a better thing to beat mobile banking although am certain he won't get one in his lifetime...........Talking about opportunities,yes,the budget had a lot to offer.For me,it would be in three of my favourite. Farming,ICT and independent power producing.....There must be some more....

Yombo dhier....!!
Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
jammo
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 17, 2009 5:12:00 AM

Well well well! '....if it is not EXPRESSLY prohibited in law,DO IT!...' ...wonder what a visit with mr mwangi on this matter would yield. I wonder.

..if it is not expressly prohibited in law.. DO IT!!!!
FundamentAli
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 17, 2009 6:17:00 AM

During the last AGM for Coop,the MD mentioned about opening an agency in Voi. Did he know that the law was going to be changed?

Fundamentals + Sentiments = Position
gk
#5 Posted : Wednesday, June 17, 2009 6:35:00 AM

......the opportunities for banking agency would not go to individuals but other business outlets such as supermarkets etc.

...as for Mpesa youstill cant make huge payments and with the coming changes in clearing rules expected to reduce clearing cycle and limit cheque amounts to a mio,banks should continue to play the lead role in the payment system.

jammo
#6 Posted : Wednesday, June 17, 2009 7:03:00 AM

Consider it an opportunity to outsource front office functions...and those wretched queues too!!....also G4Securities..and all security firms that provide armed transport for banks ought to think settin up there agencies..they handle cash don't they?

mtaalam
#7 Posted : Wednesday, June 17, 2009 7:12:00 AM

I can already see in the rural being scammed by `agents`.

The best time to plant a tree is twenty years ago. The second best time is now.
jammo
#8 Posted : Wednesday, June 17, 2009 7:43:00 AM

Mtaalam ...do u mean to say that if YOU had the necessary capital..if YOU had the necessary capacity..If YOU had the necessary wherewithal to take advantage of this opportunity..YOU,as mtaalam would exploit n rip off folk?..whether rural or urban? ...there r some upright kenyan entrepreneurs u kno.

bwenyenye
#9 Posted : Wednesday, June 17, 2009 8:25:00 AM

Good people

Firstly please move this topic to the right category then the SK guys more focussed on these matters will probably respond more.

I see it maybe a little differently,that banks will form a link with M Pesa just like with Pesa point. You will access your cash and transact fully on the phone. The banks will thus reduce investment in Brick and mortar and they will reach the customer. Banks will pass on the cash risk to the MPesa guys. Mayabe the opportunity will be in investing in quality M pesa outlets. I do not rule out new the creation of new banks that serve all banks. It could be a revolution. If MPesa links all branches,why not run a branch of any bank?

food for thought for entreprenuers.
I Think Therefore I Am