wazua Wed, Sep 25, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Sound proofing floor slabs
kamundu
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 24, 2013 8:58:22 PM

Any ideas? I can hear footsteps and furniture dragging in room above. How do I reduce noise?
Peace in our Homeland.
Gordon Gekko
#2 Posted : Sunday, November 24, 2013 9:22:52 PM

Are the inconveniencing sounds from dragging furniture or aviation matters? Buy them those sticky pads one gets at Nakumatt to put on feet of furniture to prevent scratching of bamboo/wooden flooring. They go for about ksh 100/= for a set of 4 pads.
kamundu
#3 Posted : Sunday, November 24, 2013 9:38:58 PM

Ha ha, no not really, i was thinking in terms of what flooring material would you do on the upper surface of a slab to avoid hearing noises while below?
Peace in our Homeland.
a4architect.com
#4 Posted : Monday, November 25, 2013 9:37:57 AM

floor boards with extra thick cushion underlay or double underlay made of cork or rubber would reduce this noise.

Quote:
1. What is your purpose for the underlayment?

-Underlayment is used for a variety of reasons. Foam Underlay can be used to add cushion under carpet. Polyvinyl and plastic underlay can be used to provide a moisture barrier under hardwood flooring systems. Cork and rubber underlayment offer the best solution for dampening sound transmission between floor levels and cork simultaneously acts as an excellent insulator against temperature transmission. Recycled cotton and fiber underlayment products help to decrease sound transmission a little bit but also do an excellent job insulating against temperature transmission.
http://blog.rubberflooringinc.com/2012/06/20/flooring-underlayment-four-questions-to-best-solution/
As Iron Sharpens Iron, So one Man Sharpens Another.
mmarto
#5 Posted : Monday, November 25, 2013 9:55:10 AM

i have seen some people use hollow bricks when laying the slab. i gues this works as air is a poor conductor that solids
The only time you should be looking down on others is when you are helping them up.
kamundu
#6 Posted : Monday, November 25, 2013 11:30:11 AM

mmarto wrote:
i have seen some people use hollow bricks when laying the slab. i gues this works as air is a poor conductor that solids

Thanks a4architect. Would have used hollow bricks, but now coz slab is already done, guess my flooring ill have to be soundproofed.
Peace in our Homeland.