wazua Wed, Sep 25, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Engine revs.....Help!
Njung'e
#1 Posted : Monday, August 26, 2013 4:17:17 PM

Out of the blues,my engine revs have suddenly shot up a while ago and the car is now uncontrollable.It starts well but once i engage D,damn revs start going up with my foot off the accelerator.The thing shifts gears thus without any aid but the shocker is when i stop and put the car in P.The revs are suddenly jumping from an average of 2K to around 4K.I am not near a dealer and i fear driving it all the way as i may cause more damage.What could this be?.Fuel?,choked oil filter?AT failure?.It's hardly 900Km from the last service and i have done around 600Km in the last 2 days eventlessly.Pray
Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
Njung'e
#2 Posted : Monday, August 26, 2013 6:24:51 PM

No clues good people?
jamplu
#3 Posted : Monday, August 26, 2013 6:35:08 PM

Check all Vacuum hoses for leaks if that doesn't work. check your Idle Air Control (Valve)-IACV might need some cleaning or replacement.
What car is it?
digitek1
#4 Posted : Monday, August 26, 2013 6:45:55 PM

stuck accelerator cable? common with toyos
I may be wrong..but then I could be right
Njung'e
#5 Posted : Monday, August 26, 2013 7:48:10 PM

jamplu wrote:
Check all Vacuum hoses for leaks if that doesn't work. check your Idle Air Control (Valve)-IACV might need some cleaning or replacement.
What car is it?

@Jamplu/Digitek
Hoses checked.Stuck acelerator cable.Not possible.The Idle Air Control?I think i need an expert.It's an E200.
jamplu
#6 Posted : Monday, August 26, 2013 9:00:12 PM

Njung'e wrote:
jamplu wrote:
What car is it?

@Jamplu/Digitek
Hoses checked.Stuck acelerator cable.Not possible.The Idle Air Control?I think i need an expert.It's an E200.

Is there noticeable loss of power? mass air flow sensor would result to that too but. maf problem would however be easily detected if right diagnostic tool is used and done by someone who knows what they are doing. caution don't start replacing parts if not sure what the problem is...
mlefu
#7 Posted : Monday, August 26, 2013 10:39:45 PM

E200...madam admin...please bring back guka wa bijuti ...hapa siwesmake!

Impunity
#8 Posted : Tuesday, August 27, 2013 11:15:39 AM

Open the bonnet and remove the vacuum hoses as the eng idles and see if there is any change in Revs...if not then the vacuum hoses are okay. Check the accelerator pedal position sensors they could have having dust and thus misreading the position, also check the throttle position sensors/gear lever position sensors...these may require to be done in a garage...Before you replace anything please start with inspecting and cleaning the sensor targets!
If you were driving your personal bijuti made in 1967 you wont be having these problems of sensor since the car only had a fuel tank quantity sensor!
Portfolio: Sold
You know you've made it when you get a parking space for your yatcht.

Njung'e
#9 Posted : Tuesday, August 27, 2013 1:28:37 PM

@Jamplu,
Your input has been valuable and thanks so much.I was zeroing in on MAF but wait until you here the problem.

@Digitek,
You were right.Very right my man.I was looking in the wrong place.

@Mlefu,
Ungirohia nda ugichunga.

@Impunity,
Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly I am going back to my Bijuti.Hii Ndijito ni ngumu!

Problem solved.Here is what happened.Some weeks back,the bonnet cable detached from it's lever with a damaged retainer hole.I decided to change the lever and the guy who did the job did not secure the plastic cover well.The cover is usually insulated with lagging material (Anti-heat).Seems as i used the car,this lagging material ,aided by the loose cover finally found it's way to the front of the second acceleration lever and wedged it forward thus pushing the accelerator in.......After securing the cover,all went back to normal.relief nayo?....So Digitek was right,only that i was looking from under the bonnet.Cheers all and thanks.Applause
innovator
#10 Posted : Tuesday, August 27, 2013 1:53:56 PM

This is what i have learnt over the years, most of our problems are created in the garage, when there are looking for one problem, they create more than other two.
Loose/missing bolts and nuts.
missing parts.
Wrong parts.

Just to name a few.

jamplu
#11 Posted : Tuesday, August 27, 2013 3:14:00 PM

Njung'e wrote:
@Jamplu,
Your input has been valuable and thanks so much.I was zeroing in on MAF but wait until you here the problem.

@Digitek,
You were right.Very right my man.I was looking in the wrong place.

@Mlefu,
Ungirohia nda ugichunga.

@Impunity,
Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly I am going back to my Bijuti.Hii Ndijito ni ngumu!

Problem solved.Here is what happened.Some weeks back,the bonnet cable detached from it's lever with a damaged retainer hole.I decided to change the lever and the guy who did the job did not secure the plastic cover well.The cover is usually insulated with lagging material (Anti-heat).Seems as i used the car,this lagging material ,aided by the loose cover finally found it's way to the front of the second acceleration lever and wedged it forward thus pushing the accelerator in.......After securing the cover,all went back to normal.relief nayo?....So Digitek was right,only that i was looking from under the bonnet.Cheers all and thanks.Applause

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly that was an easy one next time watch keenly what those guyz are doing under the bonnet. sometimes they need a keen eye to watch over how they are reassembling stuff.
Njung'e
#12 Posted : Tuesday, August 27, 2013 3:32:01 PM

@Jamplu,
At DT Dobbie,they never allow you beyond the reception.Whether they hump your car's exhaust,you will never know...lol.
mlefu
#13 Posted : Tuesday, August 27, 2013 3:32:46 PM

hehehe..E200 Kirinyaga road Sad ..haki old habits die hard...wanted to use that saying with new lines and dogs Laughing out loudly ..but we are talking about E200..tell me..do you get police to salute?
Njung'e
#14 Posted : Tuesday, August 27, 2013 4:29:11 PM

mlefu wrote:
..tell me..do you get police to salute?

You idiot!....They salute the driverDrool smile
jamplu
#15 Posted : Tuesday, August 27, 2013 4:35:52 PM

Njung'e wrote:
@Jamplu,
At DT Dobbie,they never allow you beyond the reception.Whether they hump your car's exhaust,you will never know...lol.

try to get yourself a good mechanic nauache mambo ya DT dobie. i stopped using dealership services when i realized the foreman of the place i was going couldn't even change timing belt system and when they lied to me they had fixed something and realized they never did.
Njung'e
#16 Posted : Tuesday, August 27, 2013 4:48:34 PM

jamplu wrote:
[quote=Njung'e]@Jamplu,
try to get yourself a good mechanic nauache mambo ya DT dobie. i stopped using dealership services when i realized the foreman of the place i was going couldn't even change timing belt system and when they lied to me they had fixed something and realized they never did.

True that!.....but knowlegeable,reliable and honest ones are hard to come by.....Yesterday,one even suggested that my engine had developed pressuresmile
Fabrice
#17 Posted : Tuesday, August 27, 2013 7:53:10 PM

Njung'e wrote:

True that!.....but knowlegeable,reliable and honest ones are hard to come by.....Yesterday,one even suggested that my engine had developed pressuresmile

@ Njung'e you remind me of my village mechanics who specialize in Landrover 109 and Landcruiser za green (don't know the model). Ukipeleka gari they ask if kama unawaenjoy. But I like their honesty.

Once, after heavy night downpour..i couldn't operate the power windows. Took the car to some mechanics in Narok. Jamaa alizunguka gari like 20 times looking for fuse box, checked the one under the bonnet, things were fine...then he set off to dismantle the switches after almost kung'oa mlango. When I saw he wasn't going to solve the problem, I paid his 5 sok for his efforts. My kawa mechanic just located the right fuses under the glove compartment and replaced it in seconds and all was well.

Then there was this time I arrived at a jua kali to check drive train lubricant levels, a mechanic approached the vehicle na spanner na nyundo. After being told, 'special tools' were required by some mjuaji...he pocketed the items and slowly backed off whistling Laughing out loudly

NB: I'm a member here but forgot my password/for some reason can't get to log in or recover password.
Njung'e
#18 Posted : Tuesday, August 27, 2013 8:15:18 PM

@Fabrice,

I should know you then.At some point you wanted to build a water harvesting pan in you ka-plot huko Narok.No?
GGK
#19 Posted : Tuesday, August 27, 2013 9:00:09 PM

Fabrice wrote:

NB: I'm a member here but forgot my password/for some reason can't get to log in or recover password.

I know the feeling.. you become a new farer. lakini serikali ya wazua inaweza saidia.
"..I am because we are. "― Ubuntu, Umtu,
Fabrice
#20 Posted : Wednesday, August 28, 2013 6:20:16 PM

Njung'e wrote:
@Fabrice,

I should know you then.At some point you wanted to build a water harvesting pan in you ka-plot huko Narok.No?

Nope...but when you see the guy who wanted to built a water harvesting pan, I can give him free technical advice.