wazua Tue, Sep 24, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages123>»
Fuel tank logic
CLK
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 13, 2013 7:20:34 AM

So my car displays the number of kilometers i have to go with the fuel i have left in the fuel tank at any one point.
I however noticed something strange, i have the habit of visiting the filling station only when the light shows, so on a full tank it would show 700km to go, by the time the trip shows 350-400km, the fuel gauge shows half, which makes sense, however the remaining half rarely does 200km, meaning i spend more when i have less fuel in the fuel tank which beats the logic since i had assumed that if you are carrying luggage in this case about 70 litres of fuel, the car is heavier hence should spend more and not the other way round.
Could someone explain why this is so.

N/B: This conclusion was arrived at since i use this car Monday to Friday to and from work, same route and same time with little or no stop overs or detours
harrydre
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 13, 2013 7:33:00 AM

well the gas in the fuel tank acts as a 'coolant' for the tank and slows down the fuel consumption. the lower the gas means more overheating in the tank therefore more fuel consumption and wastage through evaporation etc.

Note also that having your tank over half all the time extends the life of the fuel pump.
i.am.back!!!!
seppuku
#3 Posted : Tuesday, August 13, 2013 9:04:56 AM

Another factor may be the accuracy of the measuring instrument.
Learn first to treat your time as you would your money, then treat your money as you do your time.
Magigi
#4 Posted : Tuesday, August 13, 2013 9:18:25 AM

how big is the fuel tank...could compare with manual calculation...fill three tank and reset the trip meter and see how that compares with the fuel gadget fitted in your car
Siringi
#5 Posted : Tuesday, August 13, 2013 9:21:54 AM

methinks this thread is misplaced... inafaa kuwa huko Technical /Review

Iko makanika wa grogoni ngara na kadharika
"😖😡KQ makes money for everyone except the shareholder 😏😏 " overheard in Wazua
Mukiri
#6 Posted : Tuesday, August 13, 2013 9:22:05 AM

Impurities in the fuel, and by extension, the tank might make up part of the volume of fuel being read by the gauge. Don't forget to change your fuel filter when servicing.

Proverbs 19:21
wilyum
#7 Posted : Tuesday, August 13, 2013 9:25:08 AM

NA hii gadget,did it came with your car ama you installed locally?
McReggae
#8 Posted : Tuesday, August 13, 2013 9:25:21 AM

There can be so many factors:
1. Shape of the tank, have seen it, it might be smaller at the bottom yet the gauge is linear.

2. The fuel pump only sucks in liquid and not vapour so as explained up there, room for evaporation is more when the tank is empty.

3. Some gauges are designed to show that FULL is FULL but EMPTY is never EMPTY....this helps you not to run out of fuel.

4. Your fuel gauge is not necessarily an accurate precision instrument!!!!!
..."Wewe ni mtu mdogo sana....na mwenye amekuandika pia ni mtu mdogo sana!".
Mkimwa
#9 Posted : Tuesday, August 13, 2013 11:02:10 AM

Have also noted the same with my car.. The first half tank does about 350-450kms, the second half of the tank does 200-250kms at most.. Same driving style, same driver, same routes..

The shape of fuel tank - surely the manufacturers should consider that when placing the sensors for the fuel gauge.

Why do people think that the fuel gauge is not correct? It shows full when its full, and lights up at exactly same point every time..
Siringi
#10 Posted : Tuesday, August 13, 2013 11:41:55 AM

Agreed try This Fuel Full tank ile mpaka imwagike. Drive Nairobi Mombasa or Kisumu and Vice Versa.

My Experience. 1st leg you arrive with 1/2 tank 350Kms - Oksum citi or 500Kms MSA/Nrb

on return leg dont add fuel... Tank ampty after 200-250kms

my experience is with the car infront... siyui hiyzo zigine

Mkimwa wrote:
Have also noted the same with my car.. The first half tank does about 350-450kms, the second half of the tank does 200-250kms at most.. Same driving style, same driver, same routes..

The shape of fuel tank - surely the manufacturers should consider that when placing the sensors for the fuel gauge.

Why do people think that the fuel gauge is not correct? It shows full when its full, and lights up at exactly same point every time..

"😖😡KQ makes money for everyone except the shareholder 😏😏 " overheard in Wazua
Punda Mlia
#11 Posted : Tuesday, August 13, 2013 11:50:06 AM

Mkimwa wrote:

Simple:
1. When you fill your tank, note it takes almost 80-100kms before the gauge moves from above full to the F position. Sasa start computing from there. By the time it hits E and lights up, depending on the car, you should have atleast 5 litres in there.
2. Fuel gauges are not designed for extreme precision. They could be but car manufactures do not see the benefit and is not worth the effort.
3. Just take note of your car's consumption and estimate mileage. Once you top up. Reset the trip meter and now the least kms you can get depending on whether it is city or highway driving. Use fuel gauge as confirmation/backup.
4. If you want more accuracy, if your car has a trip computer this data is available. Since gari zetu ni wasi wasi, I mostly rely on my understanding of the car.
Punda Mlia
#12 Posted : Tuesday, August 13, 2013 11:56:12 AM

Siringi wrote:
Agreed try This Fuel Full tank ile mpaka imwagike. Drive Nairobi Mombasa or Kisumu and Vice Versa.

My Experience. 1st leg you arrive with 1/2 tank 350Kms - Oksum citi or 500Kms MSA/Nrb

Take note of the space between floater (linked to fuel gauge and upper roof of the tank). The fuel stored there ndio hutudanganya. By the time you hit half tank, actually you have consumed 1/2 + ile space iko juu ya floater. I know some of you hupandisha one tyre kwa ramp to accommodate more fuel.
Impunity
#13 Posted : Tuesday, August 13, 2013 1:06:50 PM

Mkimwa wrote:

The tank is shaped that way for structural and engineering reasons.
The scavenging system works with that design,the pump sucks fuel at the lowest point of the tank to ensure you run on "reserve" fuel in times of emergency.
Portfolio: Sold
You know you've made it when you get a parking space for your yatcht.

Impunity
#14 Posted : Tuesday, August 13, 2013 1:10:42 PM

Punda Mlia wrote:
Siringi wrote:

Take note of the space between floater (linked to fuel gauge and upper roof of the tank). The fuel stored there ndio hutudanganya. By the time you hit half tank, actually you have consumed 1/2 + ile space iko juu ya floater. I know some of you hupandisha one tyre kwa ramp to accommodate more fuel.

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
Applause Applause Applause

CLK
#15 Posted : Tuesday, August 13, 2013 3:07:46 PM

wilyum wrote:
NA hii gadget,did it came with your car ama you installed locally?

Its not a gadget, car displays how much fuel you have both on the fuel gauge and also in terms of kilometers, you press this button that changes the views to show other stuff like how many kilometers to a liter, for a given trip, it can show, how long in hrs and minutes, fuel consumption average, speed average etc ,besides the normal views on the speedometer.
CLK
#16 Posted : Tuesday, August 13, 2013 3:11:06 PM

Magigi wrote:
how big is the fuel tank...could compare with manual calculation...fill three tank and reset the trip meter and see how that compares with the fuel gadget fitted in your car

Tank is about 70 liters i think, 10 litres reservoir, i have measured by letting the fuel go to almost totally empty, fuel light was on and it showed i had 20km on remaining fuel. Fueled about 64 liters making it full tank, this is abt 7k worth of fuel. reset the trip to zero and this is how i ended up with the conclusion above.
CLK
#17 Posted : Tuesday, August 13, 2013 3:18:23 PM

McReggae wrote:
There can be so many factors:
1. Shape of the tank, have seen it, it might be smaller at the bottom yet the gauge is linear.

2. The fuel pump only sucks in liquid and not vapour so as explained up there, room for evaporation is more when the tank is empty.

3. Some gauges are designed to show that FULL is FULL but EMPTY is never EMPTY....this helps you not to run out of fuel.

4. Your fuel gauge is not necessarily an accurate precision instrument!!!!!

Highly doubt the shape of the tank would matter since am looking at the number of kilometers the car says the fuel should take me not the pin position.
Full tank=700km, when i measure the number of kilometers at half tank, its abt 350-400km and the cars says so, however even when the car says i have 350km worth of fuel it will only take me for 200km.
So i used to fuel 3 times in a month full tank always, so when i realized this, i started refilling the tank at every half tank, which was equal to 4 refills of half a tank each, saving a full tank worth of fuel in the process. This is what did not make sense. And maybe what harrydre said would explain it..

CLK
#18 Posted : Tuesday, August 13, 2013 3:25:10 PM

Mkimwa wrote:

I always assumed the reason for this was the gradient of the road smile say you go downhill ukienda coast ama Isebania (two routes i frequent)and that when coming back from shagz i would have carried everything that would fit in the car including relas who decided to visit the city and when going there it was just me in the car.
However am looking back and i can swear i lost a lot of fuel last 3 years, used to fuel only when the fuel light came on and at specific filling stations, so it equaled to two fuel tanks a month for a 1500cc engine.
Now that i decided to top up every half tank, i am ending up with two fuel tanks per month on a 2000cc car..d'oh! d'oh! d'oh!
Impunity
#19 Posted : Tuesday, August 13, 2013 4:58:09 PM

CLK wrote:
Mkimwa wrote:

I always assumed the reason for this was the gradient of the road smile say you go downhill ukienda coast ama Isebania (two routes i frequent)and that when coming back from shagz i would have carried everything that would fit in the car including relas who decided to visit the city and when going there it was just me in the car.
However am looking back and i can swear i lost a lot of fuel last 3 years, used to fuel only when the fuel light came on and at specific filling stations, so it equaled to two fuel tanks a month for a 1500cc engine.
Now that i decided to top up every half tank, i am ending up with two fuel tanks per month on a 2000cc car..d'oh! d'oh! d'oh!

Maybe the 2000cc "new" car is more fuel efficient than the 1500cc..like its a VVTi-GDI-with chain timing belt!
d'oh! d'oh!

CLK
#20 Posted : Tuesday, August 13, 2013 5:16:37 PM

Impunity wrote:
CLK wrote:
Mkimwa wrote:

Maybe the 2000cc "new" car is more fuel efficient than the 1500cc..like its a VVTi-GDI-with chain timing belt!
d'oh! d'oh!

1500cc =VVTi
2000cc =FSI

ideally i shouldn't compare the two but now that it seems am using the same amount fuel with that difference in engine size...