wazua Wed, Sep 25, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

7 Pages«<567
First timer-Cars
radio
#121 Posted : Thursday, July 18, 2013 7:42:41 PM

radio wrote:
Anyone knows where I can get a Crankshaft position sensor? For a toyota nze.

Rankaz13
#122 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2013 12:32:31 AM

Punda Mlia wrote:
Kama unanyora kando ya barabara, utazima gari? hata ukizima and goons show up, bado utawasha tu na uwaelezee mahali cut out iko. After engine running for long, its advisable to let it idle for 4-5 mins to cool down at idle speed before switching off.

Especially if it's a diesel or turbo-powered engine. Careful with those.
Life is like playing a violin solo in public and learning the instrument as one goes on.
Siringi
#123 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2013 8:29:26 AM

Meduza wrote:
as a new driver what are the challenges of traveling long distance...

Here are a collection of tips from hapa na pale soem #Stolen

1. Inspect / Check the vehicle. (Service)

Prior to the trip, make sure to have the vehicle serviced. Car check-up: A week or so before you begin the trip, take your car to your neighborhood auto shop and have the mechanics thoroughly check the tires, engine, electricity, and the heat/air systems. Take care of whatever is recommended to be repaired or replaced.get a maintenance check for factors including tire tread depth, tire pressures (The correct inflation pressure is listed on the driver's door jamb and in the owner's manual )and engine & brake oil condition. Check your lights, signals, wiper blades, horn and radio. Also check the oil and coolant levels. *****Also check to see, if the spare tire is usable.

2. Rest: Get a good night sleep.Pray

Before heading out for the road, make sure to get full night’s rest. If you set off tired, it’s likely that you’ll feel fatigued throughout your trip. Whether you'll be driving in daytime or night, or both, get a regular eight hours of sleep immediately before you start your journey. Shower, eat a light meal and do 15 minutes of calisthenics or a vigorous walk. Then, you'll be alert and ready to begin your trip. Avoid sugar and caffiene before you're supposed to go to sleep. Ask Sir God for travelling Mercies.

3. Secure the luggage and cargo.
The word “vacation” may be synonymous with “luggage.” When loading the luggage, make sure to have your items well placed, so that they don’t move around during quick stops or turns.

4. Prepare an emergency kit.Pack car- Emergency kit -friendly items.

Related to the maintenance check, pack an emergency kit. A basic kit should include the car manual, a flashlight, extra batteries, a reflective triangle –chevrons? (in case you need to pull over), flares, basic hand tools and a first aid kit. Other items such as waterproof matches, a whistle, a blanket, a jumper cable, rope, cutting device umbrella and duct tape could be included. Keep the windows clean. Bring a bottle of window cleaner and paper towels to ensure that windows and lights are clear at all times. Emergency kit: Pack tools for emergency tire repairs, flashlight and small road flares in case your car is disabled at night or at any time on a busy road. The most important thing you can bring with you are flares and those little orange reflective triangle things. If you have to stop on the highway in the middle of the night and can't pull all the way over, flares could mean the difference between life and death. You basically want to do the "road work" thing and set them up so cars are gently directed around you. A reflective vest couldn't hurt either. Be sure they're handy too, you don't want to me rummaging around in your trunk for one for too long.
It’s helpful to bring wet wipes and to have easy-to-access trash bags in the car. Make your driving experience as comfortable and safe as possible. Remember to pack a hands-free device for your mobile phone to prevent distracted driving.

5. smile Bring food.

Pack snacks and a cooler with cold drinks. Avoid foods that melt or are messy.Sad
Comfort food and drink: Bring plastic bottles or a larger plastic container of filtered drinking water. If the weather is hot, take a thermos of ice cubes. If the weather is cold, take a thermos of hot black coffee. Also pack apples, bananas, snacks, energy bars and other easy-to-use food supplies.
Take some snacks for the road. A cooler filled with water and homemade snacks is a good idea for those who aren’t huge fans of convenience store food. However, avoid anything that has excessive sugar or salt. These foods can lead to changes in mood and energy. Eating heavy meals will bring your blood sugar down and make you feel tired. Try snacks like dried fruit or trail mix, which are easy to eat and store and are light on the sugar and salt. Avoid excessive salt and excessive sugar. Try not to eat heavy meals that will bring your blood sugar down to the point of making you tired. Sugar will mess with your mood, salt will just make you feel icky, though soda (caffiene) was a staple, it takes a little while to kick in.

6. Take breaks.

Take a break if feeling tired or sleepy. Taking even a five minute break to stretch your legs can make a big difference. As a general rule, stop at least once every two hours for a break. Frequent rests: Driving more than four hours without a break can bring on the dangers of drowsiness and inattention to what's happening along the road. For the long distance driver, those breaks should involve rest and nap periods at gas stations and roadside restaurants

7. Bring your favorite music.

Sickquot;
Bring your own music. Radio reception can come and go on the open highway.
Radio stations will vary by region and may not always be able to offer what you want. By preparing music, you don’t have to worry about fiddling around with the radio while you are driving. Upbeat music is best for helping to stay awake and energized while driving. Have cash on hand. Keep some small bills and change on hand to pay for

8. Shame on you No alcohol: It may seem obvious, considering the laws against drinking and driving, some drivers on long car journeys believe a quick shot of liquor or a bottle of beer can help them stay alert during the long hours on the road. Actually, alcohol works in exactly the opposite way. After a few moments of exhilaration, the brain reacts with lethargy, and in the most dangerous situations, sleepiness. Anyhow, if a driver who's had just one drink is pulled over by police, the journey could end in the local jail.

9. One thing that's helps me stay awake if I'm starting to get sleepy when I drive... fresh air. Turn that air conditioner off & open the window if the gum chewing, soda drinking, music-playing isn't doing it for you. AC can make you drowsy and find yoursel kissing the electricity lamposts or in the Bundus rolling

10. Research the route.
Check for local events and landmarks along your route that you may want to stop and see. Make your schedule flexible to allow for time to see extra sights. This also includes scoping out spots that have heavy traffic. Jot down the traffic stations along your route to get traffic news in real-time. Find out where and when to avoid certain areas, because nothing ruins a road trip like a traffic jam
Have fun.
With tips taken care of, you can relax and enjoy the ride
"😖😡KQ makes money for everyone except the shareholder 😏😏 " overheard in Wazua
tnai9
#124 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2013 9:35:41 AM

Punda Mlia wrote:
Kama unanyora kando ya barabara, utazima gari? hata ukizima and goons show up, bado utawasha tu na uwaelezee mahali cut out iko. After engine running for long, its advisable to let it idle for 4-5 mins to cool down at idle speed before switching off.

This is normally very funny. All the time I do it, I dont switch off the engine, but I relieve myself just afta a shopping center, near the car as much as psb, and when am doing it, am scanning the environment for any unusual or strange movements. Its worsened by the fact that i do kinda late journeys.
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence." ― Charles Bukowski
Impunity
#125 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2013 7:56:19 PM

tnai9 wrote:
Punda Mlia wrote:

This is normally very funny. All the time I do it, I dont switch off the engine, but I relieve myself just afta a shopping center, near the car as much as psb, and when am doing it, am scanning the environment for any unusual or strange movements. Its worsened by the fact that i do kinda late journeys.

One day the key will be locked in and you will seat for 5 hours waiting for the car to nyonya all the fuel before it can go off!
Pray
Portfolio: Sold
You know you've made it when you get a parking space for your yatcht.

Impunity
#126 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2013 8:01:05 PM

tnai9 wrote:
Punda Mlia wrote:

One day the key will be locked in and you will seat for 5 hours waiting for the car to nyonya all the fuel before it can go off!
Pray

Rankaz13
#127 Posted : Saturday, July 20, 2013 2:03:23 AM

Impunity wrote:
tnai9 wrote:
Punda Mlia wrote:

Pray

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
Life is like playing a violin solo in public and learning the instrument as one goes on.
Siringi
#128 Posted : Saturday, July 20, 2013 2:04:36 AM

Impunity wrote:
tnai9 wrote:
Punda Mlia wrote:

Pray

Tip- always keep the car alarm separate from the car keys hang the alarm on the trouser belt-loops. Kama keyless carry spare key.
"😖😡KQ makes money for everyone except the shareholder 😏😏 " overheard in Wazua
Impunity
#129 Posted : Saturday, July 20, 2013 12:57:31 PM

limanika wrote:
If the mileage is past 100,000km, ask if engine has timing belt. If yes, ask if it was ever replaced. Replace this at every 100,000km to avoid abrupt engine failure.

Explain this line using engineering facts please, especially the engineer failure part.

d'oh!

Impunity
#130 Posted : Saturday, July 20, 2013 1:04:35 PM

Punda Mlia wrote:
New driver travelling long distance...my advice, make sure you are comfortable with the car in terms of handling, braking, overtaking and all. Then you need an experienced driver as your co-driver just to make sure things are going well in the cockpit. The rest has been said, check vehicle, approach the journey in portions..i.e. Nairobi to Kitale..think about making it to Nakuru, then think about Nakuru Eldoret. Make frequent stops...do not switch off the car if the stop for like 10 mins...saa hizo gari imeshika moto, inataka kutavuna lami.

I can only let my car run in the parking that long if I have an oil well in my backyard!.
Shame on you Shame on you

Rankaz13
#131 Posted : Saturday, July 20, 2013 3:32:28 PM

Impunity wrote:
Punda Mlia wrote:
New driver travelling long distance...my advice, make sure you are comfortable with the car in terms of handling, braking, overtaking and all. Then you need an experienced driver as your co-driver just to make sure things are going well in the cockpit. The rest has been said, check vehicle, approach the journey in portions..i.e. Nairobi to Kitale..think about making it to Nakuru, then think about Nakuru Eldoret. Make frequent stops...do not switch off the car if the stop for like 10 mins...saa hizo gari imeshika moto, inataka kutavuna lami.

I can only let my car run in the parking that long if I have an oil well in my backyard!.
Shame on you Shame on you

For most present-day turbo Diesel engines, 5minutes is usually enough. If your engine doesn't already have it, consider installing a turbo timer for this purpose. You'll be glad you did.
Rankaz13
#132 Posted : Saturday, July 20, 2013 4:01:27 PM

Impunity wrote:
limanika wrote:
If the mileage is past 100,000km, ask if engine has timing belt. If yes, ask if it was ever replaced. Replace this at every 100,000km to avoid abrupt engine failure.

Explain this line using engineering facts please, especially the engineer failure part.

d'oh!

I presume you already know some parts of an engine such as crankshaft, camshaft, injector, etc. To recap, the crank converts the up/down movement if pistons into circular motion, and the cam controls the opening & closing of inlet valves (air and fuel) while the fuel injector does exactly that.

Now, in order for these parts to function in unison, they are interconnected via a timing belt, and hence what you might have heard your mechanic refer to as 'timing' especially hizo pande za ngirogoni. What this means is that the up/down movement of pistons closely regulated in tandem with opening/closing of valves so that the valves only open when the piston is at the maximum of the downstroke to inlet the air/fuel mix prior to ignition after which the exhaust valve will also need to open to let out the exhaust fumes, and on and on. You'll agree with me that these complex operations do indeed require very accurate timing.

Obviously, like all other car parts, the timing belt has a lifespan. After all, it being part rubber does indeed lose it's elasticity and indeed if you look closely at a well worn one, you can see some minor cracks along its outer surface. Now, imagine with me a situation where, in the midst of all this up/down piston movement and open/close valve operation, the timing belt suddenly snaps. What is likely to happen?

Bearing in mind the speed at which the engine was moving, several things may happen. One, the piston may come up and find the valve(s) still open. Once the valves hit the piston surface ;which they ordinarily shouldn't, you end up damaging both the valves and pistons, all of which will require replacement. Secondly, it is possible that when the belt snaps, the cam also breaks into small pieces (this happened to me Sad ) and in the process the valves are again affected along with valve seats, seals and a myriad of those other small 'thingies' associated with it. Worst case scenario, the pistons might hit the cylinder head so hard that they cause it to warp/nick (not common) or cause it to crack (more common) and obviously necessitating machining if you're lucky or total replacement. This happened to my pal. On a polite drive from church, gari ikajizima tu yenyewe and refused to start. On inspection at garage, 'twas found the timing belt had snapped and taken out the cylinder head and it's components along with it requiring replacement. Total bill = 100k. Total cost of belt = 4.5k at the time.

And that, @impunity, is my layman's way of putting it. Hope I've made things a bit clearer. Next time you're at the garage and you find them rebuilding an engine (kufunga engine as Kariúki in ngirogoni calls it), get close and observe. Ask some queries on what was wrong with it for instance, what caused it and how to prevent the same from happening. You'll come out better informed and as always, forewarned is forearmed.
Punda Mlia
#133 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2013 5:18:26 PM

Well explained @Rankaz13. Most people even do not notice the check timing belt light glowing on their dashboards. I've traveled in many matatus that have that light on. In some older vehicle models and in motorbikes, its actually a chain that is enclosed within the engine block and is lubricated with engine oil. In bikes, we have tensioners to adjust it as chains tend to grow longer with time due to elasticity of metals under tension. During major service, its one thing garages check along with your shocks, suspensions, engine mountings, drive shafts, etc
Rankaz13
#134 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2013 5:43:11 PM

Punda Mlia wrote:
Well explained @Rankaz13. Most people even do not notice the check timing belt light glowing on their dashboards. I've traveled in many matatus that have that light on. In some older vehicle models and in motorbikes, its actually a chain that is enclosed within the engine block and is lubricated with engine oil. In bikes, we have tensioners to adjust it as chains tend to grow longer with time due to elasticity of metals under tension. During major service, its one thing garages check along with your shocks, suspensions, engine mountings, drive shafts, etc

Very true. What most don't know is you can't rely on that dashboard indicator all the time, you better know the exact mileage. That dash indicator, when on, may indicate that the belt is worn and may snap in the next 5, 10,even 1000kms-in short, some indeterminate distance. Recording the mileage on that sticker is easier.
mpobiz
#135 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2013 6:25:14 PM

Rankaz13 wrote:
Impunity wrote:
limanika wrote:

d'oh!

I presume you already know some parts of an engine such as crankshaft, camshaft, injector, etc. To recap Mm, the crank converts the up/down movement if pistons into circular motion, and the cam controls the opening & closing of inlet valves (air and fuel) while the fuel injector does exactly that.

Now, in order for these parts to function in unison, they are interconnected via a timing belt, and hence what you might have heard your mechanic refer to as 'timing' especially hizo pande za ngirogoni. What this means is that the up/down movement of pistons closely regulated in tandem with opening/closing of valves so that the valves only open when the piston is at the maximum of the downstroke to inlet the air/fuel mix prior to ignition after which the exhaust valve will also need to open to let out the exhaust fumes, and on and on. You'll agree with me that these complex operations do indeed require very accurate timing.

Obviously, like all other car parts, the timing belt has a lifespan. After all, it being part rubber does indeed lose it's elasticity and indeed if you look closely at a well worn one, you can see some minor cracks along its outer surface. Now, imagine with me a situation where, in the midst of all this up/down piston movement and open/close valve operation, the timing belt suddenly snaps. What is likely to happen?

Bearing in mind the speed at which the engine was moving, several things may happen. One, the piston may come up and find the valve(s) still open. Once the valves hit the piston surface ;which they ordinarily shouldn't, you end up damaging both the valves and pistons, all of which will require replacement. Secondly, it is possible that when the belt snaps, the cam also breaks into small pieces (this happened to me Sad ) and in the process the valves are again affected along with valve seats, seals and a myriad of those other small 'thingies' associated with it. Worst case scenario, the pistons might hit the cylinder head so hard that they cause it to warp/nick (not common) or cause it to crack (more common) and obviously necessitating machining if you're lucky or total replacement. This happened to my pal. On a polite drive from church, gari ikajizima tu yenyewe and refused to start. On inspection at garage, 'twas found the timing belt had snapped and taken out the cylinder head and it's components along with it requiring replacement. Total bill = 100k. Total cost of belt = 4.5k at the time.

And that, @impunity, is my layman's way of putting it. Hope I've made things a bit clearer. Next time you're at the garage and you find them rebuilding an engine (kufunga engine as Kariúki in ngirogoni calls it), get close and observe. Ask some queries on what was wrong with it for instance, what caused it and how to prevent the same from happening. You'll come out better informed and as always, forewarned is forearmed.

Applause Applause hapo hapo. You have forgotten to tell them that this is normally a Toyota problem. Toyota loves timing belts most of the other Japanese models use timing chains or gears

Politics is just things to keep the people divided and foolish and put your trust in men and none of them can do nothing for you...