wazua Wed, Sep 25, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

7 Pages«<4567>
First timer-Cars
kryptonite
#101 Posted : Wednesday, July 10, 2013 11:36:27 AM

That 'L' sticker is an invitation for other drivers to bully you on the road...just do without it and take things one step at a time
The harder you work, the luckier you get
Meduza
#102 Posted : Wednesday, July 10, 2013 11:54:50 AM

kryptonite wrote:
That 'L' sticker is an invitation for other drivers to bully you on the road...just do without it and take things one step at a time

gosh i have been...am hoping to get used to being bullied(does that happen really?)...worse is a truck driver with that loud horn...ouch
You cant win, unless you first begin....
wilyum
#103 Posted : Wednesday, July 10, 2013 11:58:01 AM

Meduza wrote:
kryptonite wrote:

gosh i have been...am hoping to get used to being bullied(does that happen really?)...worse is a truck driver with that loud horn...ouch

i cant agree more, its a total disaster if you have this thing. from experience also,just drive carefully and slowly,mwenye anataka kupita,wacha apite kama ako na haraka.

limanika
#104 Posted : Wednesday, July 10, 2013 1:21:57 PM

If the mileage is past 100,000km, ask if engine has timing belt. If yes, ask if it was ever replaced. Replace this at every 100,000km to avoid abrupt engine failure.
kryptonite
#105 Posted : Wednesday, July 10, 2013 1:37:15 PM

Meduza wrote:
kryptonite wrote:

You'll only get used to it if you can bully back.Usijali payback time will come, though don't mess with the truck drivers, kwanza kwa roundabout.

They usually kula two lanes when exiting the roundabout, so you have to watch out.
The harder you work, the luckier you get
Rankaz13
#106 Posted : Wednesday, July 10, 2013 9:01:08 PM

limanika wrote:
If the mileage is past 100,000km, ask if engine has timing belt. If yes, ask if it was ever replaced. Replace this at every 100,000km to avoid abrupt engine failure.

Make that 80,000km. Reason being, you never quite get one whose quality is as good as the 'original' one. I learnt that the hard way. Oh how I wish all manufacturers used a chain instead.
Life is like playing a violin solo in public and learning the instrument as one goes on.
Kenyan Oracle
#107 Posted : Saturday, July 13, 2013 1:11:05 PM

Rankaz13 wrote:
limanika wrote:

Make that 80,000km. Reason being, you never quite get one whose quality is as good as the 'original' one. I learnt that the hard way. Oh how I wish all manufacturers used a chain instead.

@Rankaz13 The chain was tried but without success. It failed especially in the Nissan Sunny B13 models. Unless now its been refined in newer vehicle models
You lose money chasing women, but you never lose women chasing money - NAS
Rankaz13
#108 Posted : Saturday, July 13, 2013 3:30:36 PM

Kenyan Oracle wrote:
Rankaz13 wrote:
limanika wrote:

@Rankaz13 The chain was tried but without success. It failed especially in the Nissan Sunny B13 models. Unless now its been refined in newer vehicle models

The toyota liteace KR-42 model, the one with 7K petrol engine, uses a chain.
Life is like playing a violin solo in public and learning the instrument as one goes on.
Kratos
#109 Posted : Saturday, July 13, 2013 7:02:17 PM

Kratos wrote:
Has anyone ever paid the penalty for late transfer of ownership to shed some light on this?

Yaani hii watu yote hakuna majibu??Sad Sad

β€œPeople will believe a big lie sooner than a little one, and if you repeat it frequently enough, people will sooner or later believe it.” ― Walter C. Langer
limanika
#110 Posted : Saturday, July 13, 2013 7:33:27 PM

Rankaz13 wrote:
limanika wrote:

There are those who drive past 140,000KM without any problems. However, most manufacturers recommend the change every 50,000-60,000 miles. This translates to 80,000-96,000KM. A change somewhere within that range is OK.
Rankaz13
#111 Posted : Saturday, July 13, 2013 8:46:47 PM

limanika wrote:
Rankaz13 wrote:
limanika wrote:

There are those who drive past 140,000KM without any problems. However, most manufacturers recommend the change every 50,000-60,000 miles. This translates to 80,000-96,000KM. A change somewhere within that range is OK.

True. But when I look at the cost of that belt vs. the cost of repairing/replacing what gets damaged, I'd rather just replace the belt at the recommended intervals.
Mukiri
#112 Posted : Tuesday, July 16, 2013 12:26:18 AM

kryptonite wrote:
Meduza wrote:
kryptonite wrote:

You'll only get used to it if you can bully back.Usijali payback time will come, though don't mess with the truck drivers, kwanza kwa roundabout.

They usually kula two lanes when exiting the roundabout, so you have to watch out.

An invitation to the thugs too

Proverbs 19:21
Meduza
#113 Posted : Tuesday, July 16, 2013 12:29:50 PM

as a new driver what are the challenges of traveling long distance...
JkMwatha
#114 Posted : Tuesday, July 16, 2013 2:19:11 PM

Meduza wrote:

Lots of advice given above is useful for long distance driving...

Do all the usualy car checks...

On a two-way road try to remain behind cars rather than being the leading car. you are less likely to have a head-on prang.

Avoid driving at night,.. if you have to, do the same as above

see this
jguru wrote:
1. Keep distance. You should drive "3 seconds" behind a car while driving at all speeds.

2. Carry a first aid box, a fire extinguisher, 2 safety triangles, spare, jack and wheel spanner in your car at all times. Plus an empty jerrican (ya kubebea mafuta ikiisha). Accidents and emergencies can happen at any time.

3. Learn how to dim lights at night especially when approaching other cars or pedestrians.... ( + cyclist)

4. Keep left unless overtaking. Don't overtake on the left. I think this is the most abused rule on our roads. ...

Seatbelts - Use them.
Siringi
#115 Posted : Wednesday, July 17, 2013 8:28:34 AM

Meduza wrote:

Shame on you Rests very muhimu say you are doing City to Coast - there is a reason why Mtito Andei and Voi Towns have been put up sio madoido.
Take rests and stretch wash your face in the rest rooms - buy something and haggle keeps you alert.
Otherwise you may doze.

Try early morning departures trust me the sun is an enemy of drivers esp long distance ones.
"πŸ˜–πŸ˜‘KQ makes money for everyone except the shareholder 😏😏 " overheard in Wazua
Meduza
#116 Posted : Wednesday, July 17, 2013 10:22:59 AM

Siringi wrote:
Meduza wrote:

Shame on you Rests very muhimu say you are doing City to Coast - there is a reason why Mtito Andei and Voi Towns have been put up sio madoido.
Take rests and stretch wash your face in the rest rooms - buy something and haggle keeps you alert.
Otherwise you may doze.

Try early morning departures trust me the sun is an enemy of drivers esp long distance ones.

thanks
Punda Mlia
#117 Posted : Wednesday, July 17, 2013 3:01:41 PM

New driver travelling long distance...my advice, make sure you are comfortable with the car in terms of handling, braking, overtaking and all. Then you need an experienced driver as your co-driver just to make sure things are going well in the cockpit. The rest has been said, check vehicle, approach the journey in portions..i.e. Nairobi to Kitale..think about making it to Nakuru, then think about Nakuru Eldoret. Make frequent stops...do not switch off the car if the stop for like 10 mins...saa hizo gari imeshika moto, inataka kutavuna lami.
obiero
#118 Posted : Wednesday, July 17, 2013 7:55:11 PM

Punda Mlia wrote:
New driver travelling long distance...my advice, make sure you are comfortable with the car in terms of handling, braking, overtaking and all. Then you need an experienced driver as your co-driver just to make sure things are going well in the cockpit. The rest has been said, check vehicle, approach the journey in portions..i.e. Nairobi to Kitale..think about making it to Nakuru, then think about Nakuru Eldoret. Make frequent stops...do not switch off the car if the stop for like 10 mins...saa hizo gari imeshika moto, inataka kutavuna lami.

wewe! unataka gari iibiwe ama? lazima nizime gari

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 23,800 ABP 6.45
Punda Mlia
#119 Posted : Thursday, July 18, 2013 12:51:36 PM

Kama unanyora kando ya barabara, utazima gari? hata ukizima and goons show up, bado utawasha tu na uwaelezee mahali cut out iko. After engine running for long, its advisable to let it idle for 4-5 mins to cool down at idle speed before switching off.
radio
#120 Posted : Thursday, July 18, 2013 1:28:31 PM

Anyone knows where I can get a Crankshaft position sensor? For a toyota nze.