wazua Wed, Sep 25, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages12>
Subaru Forester Non-Turbo or X-Trail
tnai9
#1 Posted : Monday, July 15, 2013 10:43:24 AM

Hi Wazuas,

I appreciate the invaluable advice i get here on a wide range of issues.
I am looking to upgrade from the car in front(ground floor version) to a semi-1st floor car(we describe corollas as ground floor cars @work).
I have the X-japans latest Subru forester non-turbo version or the X-Trail in mind. Would you kindly advice on pros and Cons of the car with specifics on
1. Maintenance costs - heard from a drunk in a local that Subru plugs cost Ksh 7200 and i freaked.
2. Fuel consumption
3. sturdiness

I drive off-road occasionally.

Much thanks

"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence." ― Charles Bukowski
wilyum
#2 Posted : Monday, July 15, 2013 1:59:47 PM

fanya search kwa hii forum starting with this.........

forester
limanika
#3 Posted : Monday, July 15, 2013 4:00:26 PM

tnai9 wrote:
Hi Wazuas,

I am looking to upgrade from the car in front(ground floor version) to a semi-1st floor car(we describe corollas as ground floor cars @work).
I have the X-japans latest Subru forester non-turbo version or the X-Trail in mind. Would you kindly advice on pros and Cons of the car with specifics on
1. Maintenance costs - heard from a drunk in a local that Subru plugs cost Ksh 7200 and i freaked.
2. Fuel consumption
3. sturdiness

Much thanks

Why change from car in front. Is it that you want to be able to overtake every car you find in front?
JkMwatha
#4 Posted : Monday, July 15, 2013 4:35:43 PM

tnai9 wrote:
Hi Wazuas,

2. Fuel consumption
3. sturdiness

Much thanks

http://www.wazua.co.ke/f...aspx?g=posts&t=15674
tnai9
#5 Posted : Tuesday, July 16, 2013 8:56:15 AM

wilyum wrote:
fanya search kwa hii forum starting with this.........

forester

Noticed after I had posted that the topic had been discussed though not so exhaustively. I appreciate though. Any more views will be appreciated
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence." ― Charles Bukowski
tnai9
#6 Posted : Tuesday, July 16, 2013 8:57:58 AM

limanika wrote:
tnai9 wrote:
Hi Wazuas,

2. Fuel consumption
3. sturdiness

Much thanks

Why change from car in front. Is it that you want to be able to overtake every car you find in front?

Not really. I was a speed guy before i became a parent. Not anymore. I do 110km/h at most.
#7 Posted : Wednesday, July 17, 2013 6:25:33 PM

If you are going for status go for the X-Trail.

BBI will solve it
:)
tnai9
#8 Posted : Thursday, July 18, 2013 12:48:30 PM

2012 wrote:

Actually not status. Am among those who really freak attention. I have in mind the comfort of my family, reliability, reasonable running costs(Kenyan standards) and off-road capabilities. I suffer so much when I have to go to shags and it rains. Usually, I have to park in a tao before our shags, wait for the rural road to dry, rush home and return before it rains again.
wanyee
#9 Posted : Thursday, July 18, 2013 1:15:35 PM

cars are not benchmarks of status ..more so the X-trail if it was European ..luopean ..yeah but sio japanese junkie noo..afana
tnai9
#10 Posted : Thursday, July 18, 2013 4:56:54 PM

wanyee wrote:
cars are not benchmarks of status ..more so the X-trail if it was European ..luopean ..yeah but sio japanese junkie noo..afana

In this part of the world, they are. Compare the number of Kenyans who buy new cars vizav X-whatever?

Over 90% of cars on our roads are imported. So an X-Trail will feel prestigious in our poor, capitalist world
wanyee
#11 Posted : Thursday, July 18, 2013 5:29:03 PM

Sad
tnai9 wrote:
wanyee wrote:

In this part of the world, they are. Compare the number of Kenyans who buy new cars vizav X-whatever?

Over 90% of cars on our roads are imported. So an X-Trail will feel prestigious in our poor, capitalist world

Sad Shame on you not an x-trail ..a poor man's prado ..nooooo
kamundu
#12 Posted : Thursday, July 18, 2013 9:37:27 PM

I would go for Honda CRV
Peace in our Homeland.
guru me
#13 Posted : Thursday, July 18, 2013 10:42:29 PM

@ Wanyee IMHO status is very subjective and is pegged to the society one lives in and their finacial demographic. Each car has its level of status depending on these demographics . For example what you consider a status symbol (a Prado from your post) may be consdiered by some to be a poor mans Range Rover /Landrcruiser Amazon. And what you may consider a poor mans Prado-The Xtrail -to someone living in a middle class society where perhaps most drive Corrollas would be considered quite an achievement. In the States for example the Chrysler 300 is frowned upon by most as it is considered a not so good knock off of a Rolce Royce Phantom (I think). In Kenya it appears to be the in thing and every bride worth her salt demands a ride in it on her wedding day. Either way to me none of the cars being evaluated have a class difference (advantage or disadvantage). They are all relatively in the same "class".
tnai9
#14 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2013 9:18:07 AM

guru me wrote:
@ Wanyee IMHO status is very subjective and is pegged to the society one lives in and their finacial demographic. Each car has its level of status depending on these demographics . For example what you consider a status symbol (a Prado from your post) may be consdiered by some to be a poor mans Range Rover /Landrcruiser Amazon. And what you may consider a poor mans Prado-The Xtrail -to someone living in a middle class society where perhaps most drive Corrollas would be considered quite an achievement. In the States for example the Chrysler 300 is frowned upon by most as it is considered a not so good knock off of a Rolce Royce Phantom (I think). In Kenya it appears to be the in thing and every bride worth her salt demands a ride in it on her wedding day. Either way to me none of the cars being evaluated have a class difference (advantage or disadvantage). They are all relatively in the same "class".

I was to say this exactly. @Guru me, thanks for putting it so clearly. A former boss of mine had a Range Rover which he bough for 34M, yes am right. He would say prados and Land cruisers are for starters. So status really is so subjective. There is a picture on the thread of funny pictures, about y women are attracted to men in cars! In most villages, if u have a datsun(sp) KDX, you will be a 'celeb' and 'respected'. U may be called to keep the Sub-chief company on the high table during village meetings
wanyee
#15 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2013 10:11:14 AM

tnai9 wrote:
guru me wrote:

I was to say this exactly. @Guru me, thanks for putting it so clearly. A former boss of mine had a Range Rover which he bough for 34M, yes am right. He would say prados and Land cruisers are for starters. So status really is so subjective. There is a picture on the thread of funny pictures, about y women are attracted to men in cars! In most villages, if u have a datsun(sp) KDX, you will be a 'celeb' and 'respected'. U may be called to keep the Sub-chief company on the high table during village meetingsApplause Applause Applause Laughing out loudly DND datheka nginya dathuria

tnai9
#16 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2013 11:02:15 AM

Quote:
datheka nginya dathuria

Just asked for the meaning of dathuria and ..Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly wacha tu
AlphDoti
#17 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2013 11:09:53 AM

tnai9 wrote:
2012 wrote:

Actually not status. Am among those who really freak attention. I have in mind the comfort of my family, reliability, reasonable running costs(Kenyan standards) and off-road capabilities. I suffer so much when I have to go to shags and it rains. Usually, I have to park in a tao before our shags, wait for the rural road to dry, rush home and return before it rains again.

@tnai9 from the tone of your words, I think you are biased towards X-trail. Just go for it.

But don't confuse status and attention. They're two different things.

I think since you don't want attention, X-trail will give you the peace you want, compared to Forester, which are most attention calling especially those fitted with "muffler".

X-trail will give you the status, without attention, but it's not cheap to maintain as you may think.
mawinder
#18 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2013 11:33:14 AM

tnai9 wrote:
guru me wrote:

I was to say this exactly. @Guru me, thanks for putting it so clearly. A former boss of mine had a Range Rover which he bough for 34M, yes am right. He would say prados and Land cruisers are for starters. So status really is so subjective. There is a picture on the thread of funny pictures, about y women are attracted to men in cars! In most villages, if u have a datsun(sp) KDX, you will be a 'celeb' and 'respected'. U may be called to keep the Sub-chief company on the high table during village meetings

Last time I was at CMC I didnt see any Rangerover going for over twenty million.
tnai9
#19 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2013 12:35:15 PM

mawinder wrote:

Last time I was at CMC I didnt see any Rangerover going for over twenty million.

This was custom made, imported from Britain, and put on a flight to Nairobi. When you sit on the drivers seat, the steering wheel adjusts itself automatically, to an ergonomic position for your comfort. It was armoured. Those are the few details I heard about. He is a rich man by any standards. Goes for a meeting outside (in Africa)and the hotel he stays in BB he pays 1100 USD, yes, like 94k now. I saw an invoice for this, with my naked eyesSad

Bought a new sporty toureg(sp) for the 19yr old son (who was a fresher in the UK) from Germany at think 7 or 9M, and it was also flown in. Btn placing the order for the Toureg and receiving it here, took 3 days.
tnai9
#20 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2013 12:42:53 PM

AlphDoti wrote:

....................X-trail will give you the status, without attention, but it's not cheap to maintain as you may think.

Ok, those words are kinda confusing....and English was not one of my very strong areas.

By this..but it's not cheap to maintain as you may think....how do the running costs for the two compare? I believe they are comparable. A brief summary will really be appreciated