wazua Mon, May 6, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

A Simple Rule to Eliminate Useless Meetings
sherrif
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 04, 2013 10:04:02 PM

Came across something I thought I could share.
I am not a fan of meetings especially when I have a tight work schedule.

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly I love the leader and the lady's shoes LOL!

1. Define the objective of the meeting. Asking one simple question at the onset of the meeting, "What is the objective of this meeting," can prove invaluable in terms of ensuring everyone is on the same page and focused on keeping the meeting on point, rather than allowing it to devolve down endless ratholes unrelated to the matter at hand. I've seen some companies go as far as including the meeting objective on the cover sheet of the materials.

2. Identify who is driving. Each meeting needs one person behind the wheel. More than one driver and it's going to be prohibitively difficult to keep the car on the road. The primary role of this point person is to ensure the conversation remains relevant, that no one person ends up dominating the discussion, and that adjunct discussions that arise during the course of the meeting are taken offline.

3. Take the time to define semantics (and first principles). It never ceases to amaze me how often meetings go off the rails by virtue of semantic differences. Picture a United Nations General Assembly gathering without the real-time translation headphones and you'll have the right visual. Words have power, and as such, it's worth investing time upfront to ensure everyone is on the same page in terms of what certain keywords, phrases, and concepts mean to the various constituencies around the table.

4. Assign someone to take notes. This should not be the equivalent of a court stenographer documenting every word uttered, but rather someone who is well versed in the meeting's objectives and who has a clear understanding of context that can capture only the most salient points. This not only avoids the classic Rashomon effect -- multiple people recalling one event in multiple ways -- but also creates a plan of record for what was discussed and agreed to. This can also be particularly valuable for invitees who weren't able to make the meeting.

5. Summarize key action items, deliverables, and points of accountability. Don't end the meeting without summarizing key conclusions, action items, and points of accountability for delivering on next steps. This summary is usually the first thing to suffer if the meeting has run long and people start running off to their next scheduled event. However, it's arguably the single most important thing you'll do at the meeting (and is ostensibly the reason for the meeting to begin with). Have the discipline to ensure attendees sit tight and remain focused while next steps are being discussed and agreed to.

6. Ask what you can do better. I like to gather feedback at the end of meetings I'm responsible for (particularly if it's a new standing meeting) by asking whether or not the attendees found it valuable and what we can do to improve it in the future. There is no better way to ensure the meeting is necessary. If it's not, either change the objective and/or format, or take it off the calendar.

http://www.linkedin.com/today/p...mp;action_ref_map=%5B%5D
obiero
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 04, 2013 11:36:19 PM

I hate meetings and thought you actually had advice on how to eliminate not improve.. Anywho, thanks

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
Jump-steady
#3 Posted : Wednesday, July 10, 2013 3:27:06 PM

obiero wrote:
I hate meetings and thought you actually had advice on how to eliminate not improve.. Anywho, thanks

hehehehe! Some decisions have to be made by more than one person who have to come together in a meeting smile
sherrif
#4 Posted : Saturday, July 13, 2013 10:27:00 AM

Jump-steady wrote:
obiero wrote:

hehehehe! Some decisions have to be made by more than one person who have to come together in a meeting smile

people should meet and agree online then come for 5 minute briefings.
I esp hate it when I see tea being brought cz it signifies the amount of time to be spent.