wazua Wed, Sep 25, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Car technicians-Help
Nomanoma
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 11, 2013 10:29:42 AM

My car is overheating when I move at...
1. Coolant level okay...
2. Cooling fan okay speeds over 80 km/h
What else should I check before i resort to a mechanic? Please!!!
Rankaz13
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 11, 2013 11:01:00 AM

Nomanoma wrote:
My car is overheating when I move at...
1. Coolant level okay...
2. Cooling fan okay speeds over 80 km/h
What else should I check before i resort to a mechanic? Please!!!

Hapa sidhani kuna ujanja, you just have to contact your mechanic roho safi, D-I-Y ni ngumu. It could be something as simple as some sensors that require servicing or the more complex (and hopefully not) cracks in your cylinder head that may necessitate its replacement. Some of those hirline cracks are pretty difficult to spot. Or it could even be a simple cylinder head gasket that requires replacing, or the water pump might be faulty, etc.
Life is like playing a violin solo in public and learning the instrument as one goes on.
Nomanoma
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 11, 2013 2:09:59 PM

@Rankaz13...Thanks bro...some gauge has gone ore questions...
1. I have just not noticed that the temperature gauge has gone back to normal after I had the engine washed...How hot should the coolant tank be even when the car is not overheating? How hot should the engine be too...What other tell tale signs should I look for even when the temperature gauge is normal...
Rankaz13
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 11, 2013 4:21:48 PM

Nomanoma wrote:
@Rankaz13...Thanks bro...some gauge has gone ore questions...
1. I have just not noticed that the temperature gauge has gone back to normal after I had the engine washed...How hot should the coolant tank be even when the car is not overheating? How hot should the engine be too...What other tell tale signs should I look for even when the temperature gauge is normal...

First verify that all your gauges are actually working. If they are, then I think you have no worries at all. I have only ever come across two cases where engine was overheating (coolant wa actually boiling) yet temperature gauge was normal. I'm told that can happen in case coolant level is insufficient (investigate for leakage, if any). In both cases, the fellows ended up having to replace cylinder heads (one had some very fine hairline cracks, the other had some obvious ones).

In the same breath, you may wanna avoid this idea of car wash guys literally washing your engine with that pressurized water thingie. Water can easily get into some electrical connections and stall your engine.

If engine has been running for a while, e.g on a long journey and you notice coolant is insufficient, let it air-cool on it's own (usually about 8hrs) before adding cold coolant/water.

That said, pay a visit to your mechanic just to be sure. All the best pal.
Life is like playing a violin solo in public and learning the instrument as one goes on.
Nomanoma
#5 Posted : Thursday, July 11, 2013 7:14:52 PM

@Rankaz13...Went to a mechanic...He removed the thermostat and told me it was the one that was spoilt and hence blocking circulation of the coolant...Do you know if the thermostat is necessary for cars in Africa or hot climate?
Prime
#6 Posted : Thursday, July 11, 2013 7:39:13 PM

Nomanoma wrote:
@Rankaz13...Went to a mechanic...He removed the thermostat and told me it was the one that was spoilt and hence blocking circulation of the coolant...Do you know if the thermostat is necessary for cars in Africa or hot climate?

There is a very narrow gap between the two. I have been down that debate with friends. Would be interesting to get wazuans opinion. Even google will have very extreme opinions... But generally in favor of "let the thermostat stay in there
Rankaz13
#7 Posted : Thursday, July 11, 2013 8:19:44 PM

Nomanoma wrote:

Aha, that. I'm actually in favor of let the thermostat go. The first time I had issues with it was on a toyota liteace, got rid of it and never had a problem. Second time, toyota hiace. Got rid of it too and changed temp. gauge just to be sure, again my problems were solved. Hopefully, yours should be.