wazua Wed, May 22, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

architect & house plan
junior
#1 Posted : Wednesday, April 08, 2009 4:15:00 PM

Hi SKerians

My landlord has milked me enough with ever-increasing rent at N-West.

I intend to put a small house and from my search on houseplans,i have identified one from this site

http://www.drummondhouse...etail/info/1002416.html

However,if i modify and purchase the plan from those guys,i will still require a qualified architect for approval. the other alternative is to have an architect whom can replicate the plan with a few modications. any architect in the forum or a referral

thanks

Investing is a zero sum game: you either gain or loss
kishindo
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 09, 2009 9:33:00 AM

That house is sure steep!
where do you want to build?

kishindon@gmail.com

less is more for Architects only!!
Less is more....for Architects only!!
KenSaf
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 09, 2009 9:45:00 AM

There is a guy called Nyangao in this forum. Try him,he sounds smart

You can’t always control the wind,but you can control the sails
Doors of opportunity don't just open , they have to be unlocked & it's up to you to turn the knob.
karimijkk
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 09, 2009 11:00:00 AM

you can talk to me and we can work out your preffered house design. 07215609919
McReggae
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 09, 2009 11:38:00 AM

KIshindo.......huh were you in 'THE' - Architecture class of 2001 (2007 graduands).....man I need to know,we could discuss a few things here n' there!!!!

Make money.....then you will enjoy all the fine things in life!!!
..."Wewe ni mtu mdogo sana....na mwenye amekuandika pia ni mtu mdogo sana!".
Drummond
#6 Posted : Thursday, April 09, 2009 11:46:00 AM

Hello!

I own the company www.DrummondHousePlans.com and would like to suggest that you buy a reproducible master,in order to have a local architect make some changes on any of our house plans (that are all protected by copyrights).

However,we do offer an ONLINE house plan modification service... you should have a look at it: http://www.drummondhouse...ification-services.html You can get a FREE cost estimate for your changes.

Here's a beautiful photo of that house plan (W6816),built: http://www.drummondhouse...ges/info/photo/238.html (this home is also one of my favorites ;-)

Thanks and don't hesitate to call Doreen if you need more information: 1-800-567-5267 or to write to me directly: mfroger@drummondhouseplans.com

Marie-France Roger

www.DrummondHousePlans.com

VP Executive & Senior Partner

Marie-France Roger www.DrummondHousePlans.com
Njunge
#7 Posted : Thursday, April 09, 2009 11:58:00 AM

Haiyaaaaaaaa.............!!!.....Kumekujwo...!!!

Guka wa bijuti...
Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
kishindo
#8 Posted : Thursday, April 09, 2009 12:01:00 PM

@ McReggae yes its me,small online world,get in touch we catch up

@ Drummond,just seen the photo of the built house and it depicts perfect execution in construction,congratulations!

Alfa
#9 Posted : Thursday, April 09, 2009 12:05:00 PM

kumekujwo!!!!!!! hehehehe - typical kikuyu!!!

Life is short,enjoy to the fullest,But only AFTER investing
McReggae
#10 Posted : Thursday, April 09, 2009 12:36:00 PM

Kishindo.....you can catch me at mcreggae2008 @ yahoo dot com

Make money.....then you will enjoy all the fine things in life!!!
..."Wewe ni mtu mdogo sana....na mwenye amekuandika pia ni mtu mdogo sana!".
mukiha
#11 Posted : Thursday, April 09, 2009 2:54:00 PM

Why haven't kenyan architects used this method of selling house plans?

Americans started doing it long before the internet was invented. Architectural firms have been producing marketing magazines for eons...but here in Kenya we have to rely on expensive 'custom-designed' plans that are adopted from some foreign magazine.

Architects; wake up!
Nothing is real unless it can be named; nothing has value unless it can be sold; money is worthless unless you spend it.
kishindo
#12 Posted : Thursday, April 09, 2009 4:18:00 PM

first things first KUMEKUJWO!

Back to business

@ Mukiha; you have raised a few issues but for your information,it goes beyond architects. Maybe the 6 YEAR training just takes a toll.

1. I will NEVER sell my designs online why?
(a) Kenyans looooooooooove pirating stuff so i won’t waste time uploading stuff that will just be downloaded by people who then pay technicians/draughts men to churn out working drawings.
(b) Most clients will come to you and say nataka design kama hii ya so and so and they want you to modify it so why cant i just wait?
(c) Regardless of whether i sell you designs online you will still have to go for approvals from the local authorities(Municipality/county councils) and therein lies the REAL MESS.
The rules are so rigid with numerous red tapes awaiting at every stage tailored to squeeze cash from the clients.
(d) The building code is standard in kenya(obsolete by the way) but most of the local authorities have their own numerous by laws that affect design so prototypes may not always work.

WAY FORWARD;
1. The AAK is already pushing for reforms especially at City Hall Nairobi so that the approval process can be done at the various departments and tracked online accordingly.... BUT...The level of resistance is SUPER STIFFFF,yes its because the guys at city hall rake in as much as 200k per project depending on size and location. the alternative is of course your approvals dragging for even 2 years!!
If the City Hall is fixed there will no doubt be a very big difference in the construction industry in kenya.

my experience;
Most kenyans like cheap stuff so they always seek shortcuts and eventually pay more when things get messed up. Professional input always pays off in the long run especially in real estate. By the way,A four storey building has just collapsed this afternoon in Mombasa n my guess is as good as yours...Cheap is expensive.

In terms of design,what you call 'customized' design is a must. A building must be suited for its own unique setting for it to function well holistically.
however I live in a realistic world so i try educate my clients as much as possible,if they take up the advice cool,if they want unreasonably cheap..i let go.

The demand for high end homes plus institutional projects makes us busy because we are too few and that could be a problem too but trust me YOU ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

The clients i love the most??? Those who learn the hard way like Kihonge because they appreciate through experience the true value of professional input.