wazua Wed, Sep 25, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Black Cotton and Clay Soil
webish
#1 Posted : Monday, June 24, 2013 10:00:09 AM

Hi Wazuans,

Forgive me if blonde. What is the difference between Clay Soil and Black cotton.

I always hear them say Black cotton is worse for building. Is clay soil any better?

Would you buy a plot that has clay soil? Or Black cotton? with intention of building on it?

Nichanue.

Life is joy, death is peace, but the transition is very difficult.
dunkang
#2 Posted : Monday, June 24, 2013 10:18:23 AM

If the price been asked justifies the work to be carried out for the foundation, it will be ok.

It would be better if you tell us the location, plot size and price for better answers.
Receive with simplicity everything that happens to you.” ― Rashi

majimaji
#3 Posted : Monday, June 24, 2013 10:29:43 AM

Black cotton and clay are used interchange-ably to mean the same thing. clay soil chemically behaves like plastic ie it can expand and contract esp in the presence of water, therefore if you build on it, your structure will move up and down and maybe even tilt.
Can i buy a buy land with such soil: answer is yes, but factor in its removal and backfilling costs when building. Fact: most of nairobi cbd and eastern side estates of the city have black cotton soil.
webish
#4 Posted : Monday, June 24, 2013 2:52:41 PM

Mhh, Okay.

@dunkang: This is one of those plots in Olduvai Gorge area, part of Kajiado (i think). 65K per eighth. Who has experience of that area?

Should be like 20Kms from Ole Polos.

webish
#5 Posted : Monday, June 24, 2013 2:53:59 PM

majimaji wrote:

Black cotton and clay are used interchange-ably to mean the same thing. clay soil chemically behaves like plastic ie it can expand and contract esp in the presence of water, therefore if you build on it, your structure will move up and down and maybe even tilt.
Can i buy a buy land with such soil: answer is yes, but factor in its removal and backfilling costs when building. Fact: most of nairobi cbd and eastern side estates of the city have black cotton soil.

So long as foundation is done right, all should be well? (of course considering the costs which you say are more). smile