wazua Tue, Sep 24, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages<12
Subaru Legacy BL5 thoughts
kivairu
#21 Posted : Wednesday, January 04, 2012 9:55:10 AM

perminusotieno wrote:
I agree 100% with Harrydre. We have destroyed the value chain that comes from an established market for brand new cars. Think of all the jobs that would be created and skills that would be passed to our economy if we were assembling Toyotas and other makes in large numbers. The benefits to our emerging economy would be enormous. In my opinion, our reliance on mitumba goods from cars and clothes to spare parts has done so much to destroy industry in this country.
Does anyone seriously believe that the widespread importation of Japanese rejects adds any value to our economy? I challenge anyone to prove how these mitumbas have benefited Kenya's economy.

True dude, its a war we lost a long time ago, and cannot win anytime.... as you write this i'm sure you are probably doning a swiss watch, an italian suit / shoes, french cologne...its lost cause dude

Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value. –Albert Einstein.
poundfoolish
#22 Posted : Wednesday, January 04, 2012 10:55:14 AM

For Sport wrote:
harrydre wrote:
Peeps should stop buying these so called imported vehicles from japan or dubai. 1st they hurt our economy, hurt our environement, are not safe and they are as old as mugumo tree. these cars have usually travelled over 100km and just get polished kiasi the odometer is re-adjusted (yes like those old pendulum clocks that were hand wound every morning). Once it gets to your compound, u have spent relatively close or around kshs - 1M and then your troubles begin here. You keep saying you just imported a new car whereas you are mostly in garage. Lets kill this habit and go for those brand new assembled in Kenya car or import directly from the factories. Spend slightly higher and have a good product that will last you twice as much time.

keeping a car for 20 years is overrated

I too agree with Harrydre...

These imports are a waste.. sio NZE then the hype moves to Fielders then proboxes, then another one and another..
in 2/3 years your average 2nd hand import will require an upgrade/resell while the guy who bought a local showroom car or 2nd owner showroom car still has his and in good condition..
After 20 years you do the maths.. you will have spent more on 'fad imports' in the name of "spareparts ni cheap na hakakunywi mafuta"..
at that time ndo unaona sasa unaweza pata ka-loan kununua the 15yr old Range or BMW the show room guy is disposing..

Mkimwa
#23 Posted : Wednesday, January 04, 2012 11:05:42 AM

perminusotieno wrote:
I agree 100% with Harrydre. We have destroyed the value chain that comes from an established market for brand new cars. Think of all the jobs that would be created and skills that would be passed to our economy if we were assembling Toyotas and other makes in large numbers. The benefits to our emerging economy would be enormous. In my opinion, our reliance on mitumba goods from cars and clothes to spare parts has done so much to destroy industry in this country.
Does anyone seriously believe that the widespread importation of Japanese rejects adds any value to our economy? I challenge anyone to prove how these mitumbas have benefited Kenya's economy.

All boils down to economics.
In the US, a brand new Rav 4 goes for about $22000 (about 2m KES). The same costs 4.8m according to KRA CSRP.

The choice becomes - buy the brand new one at 4.8m, or get a mtumba one for 1.5m. The running cost of the Mtumba one in 5 years will not exceed the 3.3m difference. Economically - makes sense to buy the mtumba one, after all, it still works.

If Toyota had a factory in Athi River and was able to sell the Rav4 locally at 2.5m, that would be attractive. But they dont, so we dont have any option as an economy but to depend on what we can afford.

That said, we should be encouraging the likes of toyota to setup factories. In S.A, every major manufacturer has a factory, showroom. Factors: cheap power, high buying power, an economy that works. We should be creating the environment for such.
accelriskconsult
#24 Posted : Wednesday, January 04, 2012 11:08:36 AM

There is a good argument for locally assembled cars but the reason why Kenyans do not buy them is that they are expensive. Government policy favours second hand imports at the expense of local manufacturing. If tax policies were well thought out, we would have a thriving locally assembled new cars market right here in Kenya. The tax collections and employment benefits would by far outweigh what the government collects from the mitumba and spare parts imports. The cost of environmental degradation and frequent breakdowns (think blocked roads and traffic jams) of the mitumba seems not to feature in government calculations.
jamplu
#25 Posted : Wednesday, January 04, 2012 2:11:32 PM

Toxicity wrote:
harrydre wrote:
Peeps should stop buying these so called imported vehicles from japan or dubai. 1st they hurt our economy, hurt our environement, are not safe and they are as old as mugumo tree. these cars have usually travelled over 100km and just get polished kiasi the odometer is re-adjusted (yes like those old pendulum clocks that were hand wound every morning). Once it gets to your compound, u have spent relatively close or around kshs - 1M and then your troubles begin here. You keep saying you just imported a new car whereas you are mostly in garage. Lets kill this habit and go for those brand new assembled in Kenya car or import directly from the factories. Spend slightly higher and have a good product that will last you twice as much time.

How higher is slightly higher? i think not all Kenyans who want to drive around considering the state of the Kenyan public transport sector can afford brand new cars from factories or locally assembled!! Anyway any more information on the Subaru?

Not all of us can afford new cars and yet we need the convenience of owning one. The problem with most kenyans is to just go to the internet and order the cars they see there. You need to be intouch with someone in japan who can pick a good car for you and for the record 99% of the odometer tampering is done in kenya. The reason most cars break after 1 year in kenya is mainly poor maintenance all the stories that toyota has cheaper parts are just but stories go ask for genuine Toyota brake pads at toyota kenya and go ask for genuine subaru brake pads the price is more or less same.

@Toxicity you can also try subatech for minor services they have a shop motor world opp. nyayo stadium i get my parts there and a repair shop in industrial area. Always ensure you use genuine parts on subaru's.
Nobby
#26 Posted : Wednesday, January 04, 2012 3:56:52 PM

perminusotieno wrote:

If you want us to buy showroom cars then let them be fully Kenyan made and they should be affordable like 1M!
The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Toxicity
#27 Posted : Wednesday, June 19, 2013 2:27:50 PM

Why have they changed the design of the new model, i prefer the 2005-2006 model, In fact only the forester new model is an improvement!!! Or it is the Merge with the Toyota and the Toyota designers were given a chance?(No offence to Toyota)
update president set president = speaker where president is null
redondo
#28 Posted : Wednesday, June 19, 2013 3:14:26 PM

Toxicity wrote:
Why have they changed the design of the new model, i prefer the 2005-2006 model, In fact only the forester new model is an improvement!!! Or it is the Merge with the Toyota and the Toyota designers were given a chance?(No offence to Toyota)

@ Toxicity, you are spot-on with that observation. Since Toyota acquire a majority stake in Fuji Heavy Industries (subaru's parent company)Subarus are looking more like toyotas. The design language has changed! The sleek models have been replaced by rather trite designs
ZILLION
#29 Posted : Wednesday, June 19, 2013 4:50:47 PM

Great car especially the non-turbo. Town run you will get 10km/l ,14km/l on the highway depending on driving and maintenance.Always buy genuine parts for your routine maintenance and make sure you know how to check fluid levels yourself and check regularly.
Go for it you will never regret if you take great care of her the only shortcoming is resale value but once you drive her trust me you will never think of selling.
iMANI
#30 Posted : Wednesday, June 19, 2013 6:25:16 PM

ZILLION wrote:
Great car especially the non-turbo. Town run you will get 10km/l ,14km/l on the highway depending on driving and maintenance.Always buy genuine parts for your routine maintenance and make sure you know how to check fluid levels yourself and check regularly.
Go for it you will never regret if you take great care of her the only shortcoming is resale value but once you drive her trust me you will never think of selling.

@zillion

any stats on the turbo version...I've got one arriving in 3 wks...as shown in link below...

Subaru Image
Life and beer are very similar........chill for best results.

jamplu
#31 Posted : Wednesday, June 19, 2013 7:40:20 PM

iMANI wrote:
ZILLION wrote:

@zillion

any stats on the turbo version...I've got one arriving in 3 wks...as shown in link below...

Subaru Image

so long as you can mantain the turbo you will enjoy the speed. before you make that mad run from mombasa to nairobi... make sure you service it well.
Toxicity
#32 Posted : Wednesday, June 19, 2013 8:14:53 PM

on servicing subarus who has used subatech motors ? how are they?
mzeiya411
#33 Posted : Friday, June 21, 2013 9:49:25 AM

Toxicity wrote:

They are quite fair in their charges and they offer genuine parts.
Toxicity
#34 Posted : Saturday, June 22, 2013 8:17:34 PM

mzeiya411 wrote:
Toxicity wrote:

They are quite fair in their charges and they offer genuine parts.

went there today .....enjoyed the services they explain everything they do....would recommend to any Subaru driver and their prices are quite fair...

Toxicity
#35 Posted : Wednesday, December 17, 2014 4:01:25 PM

Where can I purchase a GROM-AUDIO USB Interface?
link for Connecting it to a Subaru head Unit