wazua Wed, Sep 25, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

7 Pages123>»
First timer-Cars
Meduza
#1 Posted : Monday, June 17, 2013 9:06:49 PM

What do you need to know about cars especially being a first car? or should I just expect the mechanic to do everything.
You cant win, unless you first begin....
Tokyo
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 18, 2013 7:47:25 AM

To drive
work to prosper
Tokyo
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 18, 2013 7:53:27 AM

4 important points.
-battery oil
- radiator
-engine oil
- brake fluids
Be gentle with acceleration
Tire for your dear life
and finally safe driving if you aren't ready to meet your maker soonest
work to prosper
XSK
#4 Posted : Tuesday, June 18, 2013 8:06:30 AM

Tokyo wrote:
4 important points.
-battery oil
- radiator
-engine oil
- brake fluids
Tire for your dear life

@Tokyo

What is that?
You will know that you have arrived when money and time are not mutually exclusive "events" in you life!
Tokyo
#5 Posted : Tuesday, June 18, 2013 8:21:03 AM

XSK wrote:
Tokyo wrote:
4 important points.
-battery oil
- radiator
-engine oil
- brake fluids
Tire for your dear life

@Tokyo

What is that?

Mafuta ya battery level
work to prosper
Sober
#6 Posted : Tuesday, June 18, 2013 8:51:13 AM

I always insost on the 'Engine Oil' lest your engine 'knocks' sooner than you expect.
African parents don't know how to say sorry.. the closest you will get to a sorry is a 'have you eaten'
Meduza
#7 Posted : Tuesday, June 18, 2013 11:32:30 AM

Thanks...at the moment its jargon when i open the bonnet...but then I guess with time am gonna know.
nakujua
#8 Posted : Tuesday, June 18, 2013 12:10:40 PM

as long as you have a dl, you are good to go and if you are lucky enough to get the car manual in a language you understand.
hiyo ingine leave to your mechanic and the petrol station guys - they mostly remove, dry and dip sticks after they open the bonnet, at times they add some water in a container labeled washer.

The mechanics are also weird guys all I see them do is take the jack and place it on the car body next to the wheels, there is usually a mark where they fit it, then they loosen the bolts and lift the car then remove the bolts and then the wheel. they then look at some little pad like things, then they look further in at some things that look like arms and proclaim that the bushes are ok.
there are more things they do I would need several pages to detail what I see them do - but as long as you can manage to turn the radio sound low periodically you will know when something goes wrong
jerry
#9 Posted : Tuesday, June 18, 2013 12:21:57 PM

Sober wrote:
I always insost on the 'Engine Oil' lest your engine 'knocks' sooner than you expect.

Blood is to heart as engine is to oil.
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it's conformity.
Siringi
#10 Posted : Tuesday, June 18, 2013 2:45:55 PM

Smiling at cops na Kusema Afande Sasa? especially when you flout the new traffic rules
Having the local 'traffic commandants' number or somebody who know's him on speed dial
mechanic's number na garage on speed dial
Some shops along Dar Es Salaam road ama Grogoni...
Fuel gauge... and jumpers
"😖😡KQ makes money for everyone except the shareholder 😏😏 " overheard in Wazua
Meduza
#11 Posted : Tuesday, June 18, 2013 2:57:59 PM

well thanks guys I sure will remember these. Its the high time i start smiling to copas...they freak me out...:(
McReggae
#12 Posted : Tuesday, June 18, 2013 5:38:41 PM

jerry wrote:
Sober wrote:

Blood is to heart as engine is to oil.

Oil is to Engine you mean?
..."Wewe ni mtu mdogo sana....na mwenye amekuandika pia ni mtu mdogo sana!".
digitek1
#13 Posted : Tuesday, June 18, 2013 6:07:13 PM

treat your car as if it has a soul, give it a name and occasionally give a rub of polish as you whistle your favorite tune, take photos with it and never admire other cars in traffic and it will never let you down smile
I may be wrong..but then I could be right
Prime
#14 Posted : Tuesday, June 18, 2013 6:29:30 PM

Be gentle with it. Treat it well and it will reciprocate. Dont fill a saloon car with 10 of your pals when from a rave. Accelerate gently, Release the accelerator early enough when you anticipate you will need to brake. Service it regularly. Use "original" parts. Cheapest may not last long. Wax your car at least once a month. Avoid omo. Weka seat covers esp of those beige fabrics. Second from last... To the best of your ability, be stingy with it. Only help those who you know beyond a shadow of doubt that they will take good care of it. Not those funny college dudes who will use it for drinking sprees and street racing. Last, and most important... Dont overtake on blind corners (or where you cannot clearly see ahead), Remember to drive within reasonable speeds, and within a reasonable distance from the person ahead. Isnt all I have said common sense anyway?
Prime
#15 Posted : Tuesday, June 18, 2013 6:32:24 PM

Meduza wrote:
What do you need to know about cars especially being a first car? or should I just expect the mechanic to do everything.

Be gentle with it. Treat it well and it will reciprocate. Dont fill a sal oon car with 10 of your pals when from a rave. Fuel at reputable stations. Not those selling fuel at 5 bob below market prices.Accelerate gently, Release the accelerator early enough when you anticipate you will need to brake. Service it regularly. Use "original" parts. Cheapest may not last long. Wax your car at least once a month. Avoid omo. Weka seat covers esp of those beige fabrics. Second from last... To the best of your ability, be stingy with it. Only help those who you know beyond a shadow of doubt that they will take good care of it. Not those funny college dudes who will use it for drinking sprees and street racing. Last, and most important... Dont overtake on blind corners (or where you cannot clearly see ahead), Remember to drive within reasonable speeds, and within a reasonable distance from the person ahead. Isnt all I have said common sense anyway?
Prime
#16 Posted : Tuesday, June 18, 2013 6:36:32 PM

deleted
Ngogoyo
#17 Posted : Tuesday, June 18, 2013 6:46:22 PM

nakujua wrote:
as long as you have a dl, you are good to go and if you are lucky enough to get the car manual in a language you understand.
hiyo ingine leave to your mechanic and the petrol station guys - they mostly remove, dry and dip sticks after they open the bonnet, at times they add some water in a container labeled washer.

The mechanics are also weird guys all I see them do is take the jack and place it on the car body next to the wheels, there is usually a mark where they fit it, then they loosen the bolts and lift the car then remove the bolts and then the wheel. they then look at some little pad like things, then they look further in at some things that look like arms and proclaim that the bushes are ok.
there are more things they do I would need several pages to detail what I see them do - but as long as you can manage to turn the radio sound low periodically you will know when something goes wrong

Especially that last activity. . . You should know your car normal feel and sound
Meduza
#18 Posted : Tuesday, June 18, 2013 9:50:16 PM

digitek1 wrote:
treat your car as if it has a soul, give it a name and occasionally give a rub of polish as you whistle your favorite tune, take photos with it and never admire other cars in traffic and it will never let you down smile

yeah sure...am thinking of giving her a name...smile smile
Meduza
#19 Posted : Tuesday, June 18, 2013 9:53:27 PM

Prime wrote:
Meduza wrote:

Be gentle with it. Treat it well and it will reciprocate. Dont fill a sal oon car with 10 of your pals when from a rave. Fuel at reputable stations. Not those selling fuel at 5 bob below market prices.Accelerate gently, Release the accelerator early enough when you anticipate you will need to brake. Service it regularly. Use "original" parts. Cheapest may not last long. Wax your car at least once a month. Avoid omo. Weka seat covers esp of those beige fabrics. Second from last... To the best of your ability, be stingy with it. Only help those who you know beyond a shadow of doubt that they will take good care of it. Not those funny college dudes who will use it for drinking sprees and street racing. Last, and most important... Dont overtake on blind corners (or where you cannot clearly see ahead), Remember to drive within reasonable speeds, and within a reasonable distance from the person ahead. Isnt all I have said common sense anyway?

Thanks alot...and ooh yes I plan to be stingy..LOL
Siringi
#20 Posted : Wednesday, June 19, 2013 8:09:47 AM

Shop around for reputable insurance - get expert advice
"😖😡KQ makes money for everyone except the shareholder 😏😏 " overheard in Wazua