wazua Sat, May 18, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Pineapple farming -
sosewe
#1 Posted : Friday, April 12, 2013 6:09:21 PM

Hallo Guys,

Hope you are all keeping up well with this weather,In looking for an economical investment,I decided to try pineapple farming and so far so good,I tried with 10,000 heads and in 2 weeks time,they will be ready for the market,anybody experienced in fruits export ? the firm is in Homa-Bay.
xtina
#2 Posted : Friday, April 12, 2013 7:28:47 PM

Sosewe,
Congrats for your bountiful harvest. However, I feel you should have identified the markets (local or export) before you planted them. If I get your question correct, you want to export them once you harvest? Look at the FPEAK website and while at it think about value addition.
Mukiri
#3 Posted : Friday, April 12, 2013 9:27:15 PM

sosewe wrote:
Hallo Guys,

Hope you are all keeping up well with this weather,In looking for an economical investment,I decided to try pineapple farming and so far so good,I tried with 10,000 heads and in 2 weeks time,they will be ready for the market,anybody experienced in fruits export ? the firm is in Homa-Bay.

Luopean aren't you? The firm... the farm?d'oh!

Proverbs 19:21
Kaka M
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 18, 2013 3:05:35 PM

xtina wrote:
Sosewe,
Congrats for your bountiful harvest. However, I feel you should have identified the markets (local or export) before you planted them. If I get your question correct, you want to export them once you harvest? Look at the FPEAK website and while at it think about value addition.

Indeed Value addition would be the best way to go but this requires abit of resources and if you are successiful either on your own or in a partnership/ Joint-venture the rest might be history.
We might be reading about you in the paper having closed deals worth billions like we did recently about interconsumer.
Given that you have minimal time before they r ready for the market you may need to load them onto trucks n distribute to places like Kisumu, Eldoret etc.
You will need to act fast before they over ripen rendering them unsellable which would cause very heavy losses and your spirit maybe even more hit than the pocket/bank account.
Wish you all the best.

xtina
#5 Posted : Friday, April 19, 2013 7:14:42 PM

Kaka M wrote:
xtina wrote:
Sosewe,

Indeed Value addition would be the best way to go but this requires abit of resources and if you are successiful either on your own or in a partnership/ Joint-venture the rest might be history.
We might be reading about you in the paper having closed deals worth billions like we did recently about interconsumer.
Given that you have minimal time before they r ready for the market you may need to load them onto trucks n distribute to places like Kisumu, Eldoret etc.
You will need to act fast before they over ripen rendering them unsellable which would cause very heavy losses and your spirit maybe even more hit than the pocket/bank account.
Wish you all the best.

I know too many people who plant then start looking for markets months/weeks/days before harvest,and obviously they end up burning their fingersSad Kwanza vile pineapples za nyanza ndio poa,Drool Drool Drool Drool
essyk
#6 Posted : Sunday, April 21, 2013 1:51:57 PM

Quote:
Manufacturers in a developing country preparing to access the EU should be aware of the
market access requirements of their trading partners, the EU and national governments of EU
countries. Requirements are specified through legislation and through labels, codes and
management systems. These requirements are based on environmental, consumer health and
safety and social concerns. You need to comply with EU legislation and have to be aware of the
additional non-legislative requirements that your trading partners in the EU might request.
In general, many EU importers of fresh produce seek a long term relationship with their suppliers. They have high demands on the quality of the produce and the reliability of the
supply. Trust, quality focus and reliability are therefore important ingredients for a sustainable
business relation.

For you to penetrate the foreign perishable market,be keen on CSR cz it's a key selling point.
Build a school,support a worthy community project and show proof of it.
The direct foreign markets care more about the poor farmers who plant and don't mind paying more for a pineapple if you take good care of your community.

Do you have a website? What is your fruit export company's name/full address?
Do you have the quantities? can you be reliable? See,Orders can come through then you fail to supply the required volumes and the importer will seek a reliable supplier.
How about variety.Different markets demand diff varieties. Find out the target market for your variety.
Have you complied with the set international standards?Remember each country has its own set of requirements to comply with.
They can be very stressful.
You can't be ready for direct export without all these in place.
Perhaps you can begin by supplying a local certified and approved fruit export company.
Your pineapples will have to pass the required test though.

Anyway once you have it all in place I may come knocking.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good.