wazua Sun, May 19, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Faced between with 2 job opportunities
kysse
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 06, 2013 6:03:41 PM

If you had the option of working for a regional/local company or a multinational,which one would you prefer and why?
What would be the motivating factor -Money or Future prospects?

The benefit of multinationals are many.
-The great professional network whose value we cherish.
-To secure a great job with another multinational anywhere in the world,mostly requires one who's had previous knowledge/experience with one.
-By dominating the market the multinationals feel bossy and are always given priority wherever they go.Be it in meetings,appointments,trust me you will get to speak to a CEO fast if you introduce yourself as working for a multinational as compared to a local/regional co.
That means the road to acquiring new business has less hurdles.
-It feels good to belong to a global network.It's one big family.
The disadvantage however is the long chain of command.From overseas to the local office.

The regional/local business on the other hand is growing, aiming to become a multinational and the prospects aren't bad.
But they face multiple challenges during growth as they compete with the multinationals, meaning you will die before they attain that level since some of these Multinationals have been in operation since 1800's.

But suppose the regional/local co.offers slightly higher pay,more travel than the multinational but lots of working hours for growth.

your opinions appreciated.

mawinder
#2 Posted : Saturday, April 06, 2013 6:15:19 PM

kysse wrote:
If you had the option of working for a regional/local company or a multinational,which one would you prefer and why?
What would be the motivating factor -Money or Future prospects?

The benefit of multinationals are many.
-The great professional network whose value we cherish.
-To secure a great job with another multinational anywhere in the world,mostly requires one who's had previous knowledge/experience with one.
-By dominating the market the multinationals feel bossy and are always given priority wherever they go.Be it in meetings,appointments,trust me you will get to speak to a CEO fast if you introduce yourself as working for a multinational as compared to a local/regional co.
That means the road to acquiring new business has less hurdles.
-It feels good to belong to a global network.It's one big family.
The disadvantage however is the long chain of command.From overseas to the local office.

The regional/local business on the other hand is growing, aiming to become a multinational and the prospects aren't bad.
But they face multiple challenges during growth as they compete with the multinationals, meaning you will die before they attain that level since some of these Multinationals have been in operation since 1800's.

But suppose the regional/local co.offers slightly higher pay,more travel than the multinational but lots of working hours for growth.

your opinions appreciated.

Weka the names of the companies and figures involved to get help.
kysse
#3 Posted : Saturday, April 06, 2013 7:32:07 PM

mawinder wrote:

Weka the names of the companies and figures involved to get help.

One is top 3 worlwide in the related Industry
The other aspires to be an African leader but it's remarkable.
mentioning names would jeopardise everything.
kripp
#4 Posted : Monday, April 08, 2013 10:18:15 AM

Based on your own comparative list of advantages, I would go for the MNC.
A MNC offers you a global experience in that you learn from the best, and if you do well then you have the whole world as opposed to only one continent/region to conquer.
brightstar
#5 Posted : Monday, April 08, 2013 11:45:07 AM

I second kripp, go global and gain the experience and exposure. One day the guys aspiring to be African leaders might head hunt you once they see how you progressed. My 2 cents.
KiambuSubChief
#6 Posted : Monday, April 08, 2013 5:16:41 PM

It all depends on what organisations though and your role... but, I would say go for the local/regional especially if the growth potential is huge. This may be the one that makes you meet the upcoming movers and shakers and those are the guys that will remember you. My issue with MNC is that you tend to be too restricted to a role (again depending on the role) and cannot explore new avenues. With the emerging regional, you might be exposed to projects outside your normal remit, and these could prove to be the ones... although you could also end up doing very KYM work.

My 10 cents, pick the 2 cents carefully! And all the best with your decision.
kysse
#7 Posted : Monday, April 08, 2013 10:56:49 PM

@ all thanks.Settled