wazua Fri, Mar 29, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages12>
Sinking a borehole
KiambuSubChief
#1 Posted : Monday, March 25, 2013 11:29:02 AM

Anybody with recent experience of sinking a borehole? What was the cost and if possible please give a breakdown of material equipment used.

Also any tips will be greatly appreciated. I want to get one done in Kiserian.

Asante.
Chaka
#2 Posted : Monday, March 25, 2013 4:50:51 PM

KiambuSubChief wrote:
Anybody with recent experience of sinking a borehole? What was the cost and if possible please give a breakdown of material equipment used.

Asante.

I read somewhere that there is a big water project which was to be commissioned at Kiserian today.If this is the case would it make sense to sink a borehole?
KiambuSubChief
#3 Posted : Monday, March 25, 2013 5:10:52 PM

I think this was something to serve Rongai/Kiserian/Matasia etc but I am 15k from the town on Pipeline road. I am looking to do this for farming.
brayokasa4
#4 Posted : Monday, March 25, 2013 5:14:55 PM

KiambuSubChief wrote:

Asante.

So far, I have drilled two boreholes In Loitokitok area.
Cost varies , depending on the soil structure and also how deep down the borehole will go.I paid approx 6000 shillings for one metre and my borehole was 90m deep. Came to about 540,000. Then there is casing which is done and mobilization fee, and blah blah and it came to around 1.2m. That is drilling ONLY. After drilling you have to equip the borehole and that involves getting a submersible borehole pump which can cost anywhere from 100k-400k. There are riser pipes , control panel, wiring etc. to be considered. First thing you have to do is get a Hydrogeologist who will give you a Hydrogeological Survey Report after a site visit which is a booklet showing the soil structure, the water table, nearby boreholes etc. Will cost you 50k-100k . I can hook you up with a friend. After the HSR you apply for a Water Permit from WARMA. Armed with the HSR and the Permit then you can approach the drillers for a quotation.
If you think you can, and if you think you can't , either way, you are right!
Coolbull
#5 Posted : Monday, March 25, 2013 6:03:12 PM

I concur with @brayokasa4.
Digging a borehole has several procedures the survey being the very first.
Many 'clever' kenyans 'beat' corners about it to 'save money' but the water table usually has the final say.

I'd recommend Ground Water Survey (EA). They have the know how and the best equipment around.

KiambuSubChief
#6 Posted : Wednesday, March 27, 2013 5:21:37 PM

Thanks people, this has been quite useful.
Rongla
#7 Posted : Sunday, February 11, 2018 4:02:53 PM

Well l can't find any recent post on borehole drilling.
Anyone who has done it lately. Any particular company you can recommend. What Are the expected challanges. Saidieni tafadhali
Mukiri
#8 Posted : Sunday, February 11, 2018 6:05:40 PM

Rongla wrote:
Anyone who has done it lately. Any particular company you can recommend. What Are the expected challanges. Saidieni tafadhali

I did one the year before last. Wasn't too deep @55 feet.

There's the kienyeji way and the procedural way. Procedural is where you do an Environmental Impact assessment ya NEEMA, Hydrogeological survey, get necessary approvals, then dig. Depending on the area, there are places, like my place where it pure rock from surface, so those vehicle machines are preferred. At mine, I got guys with a modified maize milling machine, with a drill bit ya 'diamond' hapo mbele. I negotiated to 1k per foot, casing was around 3-4k, borehole metal housing 2k, fundi to mason it 1k+1k material. Electrician fitting pump 3k, circuit board+ circuit breakers+switch+cables+pump 30k - 40k.

Of importance is the testing phase. Let the pump run a few hours (overnight if possible) as you check the water being pumped out. Quality and quantity, before releasing the contractors, else you might cry when your bore-hole runs dry on you and damages your electricals.

Proverbs 19:21
Kili
#9 Posted : Sunday, February 11, 2018 6:14:23 PM

55 feet.Lucky you
Chaka
#10 Posted : Sunday, February 11, 2018 7:18:08 PM

That's more of a well than a borehole?Who did you use to determine water availability underground?And does it have water throughout the year?

Mukiri wrote:

There's the kienyeji way and the procedural way. Procedural is where you do an Environmental Impact assessment ya NEEMA, Hydrogeological survey, get necessary approvals, then dig. Depending on the area, there are places, like my place where it pure rock from surface, so those vehicle machines are preferred. At mine, I got guys with a modified maize milling machine, with a drill bit ya 'diamond' hapo mbele. I negotiated to 1k per foot, casing was around 3-4k, borehole metal housing 2k, fundi to mason it 1k+1k material. Electrician fitting pump 3k, circuit board+ circuit breakers+switch+cables+pump 30k - 40k.

Of importance is the testing phase. Let the pump run a few hours (overnight if possible) as you check the water being pumped out. Quality and quantity, before releasing the contractors, else you might cry when your bore-hole runs dry on you and damages your electricals.

mkenyan
#11 Posted : Monday, February 12, 2018 9:47:40 AM

Mukiri wrote:
Rongla wrote:

could you provide more information on this type of drill please?
Swenani
#12 Posted : Monday, February 12, 2018 10:00:18 AM

The title of this thread is a bit confusing
Is it sinking or drilling a borehole, From my limited interaction with capital Fm presenters, drilling a borehole and sinking a borefole are two different things with two different outcomes
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
Angelica _ann
#13 Posted : Monday, February 12, 2018 10:27:33 AM

Swenani wrote:
Is it sinking or drilling a borehole, From my limited interaction with capital Fm presenters, drilling a borehole and sinking a borefole are two different things with two different outcomes

d'oh! d'oh! d'oh!
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
Chaka
#14 Posted : Monday, February 12, 2018 10:50:53 AM

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly even if that borefole is edited it shall remain in the quote..
Angelica _ann wrote:
Swenani wrote:

d'oh! d'oh! d'oh!

Mukiri
#15 Posted : Monday, February 12, 2018 11:43:03 AM

Chaka wrote:
That's more of a well than a borehole?Who did you use to determine water availability underground?And does it have water throughout the year?

Mukiri wrote:

Bwana Chaka, sorry to say this but I think you do more talking and less reading. I suggest you read what I wrote slowly and do your own research, before being presumptuous. For what its worth, I have BOTH a well and a borehole.

Proponents of a well will argue that a well is better because if the water quantity reduces, you can always get a digger to climb back down and extend it, at a much cheaper cost. However, a well done borehole, with sufficient (maximum) depth and a well done casing SCREEN (kichungi cuts they make, sometimes incorporating gravel), to keep the mud out and stop it from blocking and collapsing, can serve you a lifetime.

@Mkenyan, those machines are rather common among hustling borehole-diggers and there are people who hire them out. Infact what those 'hustlers' do is look for tenders, rent the machine, drill then take it back. The kienyeji way would have you checking the nearest borehole to determine average depth you'd be expected to drill

Rongla
#16 Posted : Monday, February 12, 2018 1:43:27 PM

So which companies or Hustlers do the drilling. Can someone please recommend.
sitaki.kujulikana
#17 Posted : Monday, February 12, 2018 3:33:53 PM

Kili wrote:
55 feet.Lucky you

55 feet si inafanywa na mikono, where I come from guys dig pit latrines at least 40 feet deep since 30 to 40 feet is pure rock and to get to soft ground where water can sip one has to go to at least 40 feet.

water at 55 feet is very lucky as you put it.
Mukiri
#18 Posted : Monday, February 12, 2018 5:15:26 PM

sitaki.kujulikana wrote:
Kili wrote:
55 feet.Lucky you

55 feet si inafanywa na mikono, where I come from guys dig pit latrines at least 40 feet deep since 30 to 40 feet is pure rock and to get to soft ground where water can sip one has to go to at least 40 feet.

water at 55 feet is very lucky as you put it.

Yes. 55 is lucky. I have another I intend to dig at circa 20 feet. The thing with wells, sometimes the water you get isn't sufficient enough to sustain profitable farming. With a borehole you can go deep enough to get as much water as you want. The quality of water is something of consideration.. Well water can be very dirty water, with foot valves spoiling every so often, often having to wash tanks etc

@Rongla, where will the borehole be done?

musesi
#19 Posted : Tuesday, February 13, 2018 10:30:24 AM

Rongla wrote:

You can get more information from http://marineswell.com
Sufficiently Philanga....thropic
#20 Posted : Tuesday, February 13, 2018 5:51:44 PM

Rongla wrote:

Most of the guys who purport to drill boreholes are brokers since they don't have the drilling machines. Please avoid such. You can try Mr.Gachanja, 0720999333, the owner of Balena Drilling. Very professional guy with a Great team. Did my high yield borehole all the way to 70m (230 feet). Never runs out of water throughout the day at 30,000 litres per hour pumping. Charges 6k per metre.
@SufficientlyP