wazua Sat, May 25, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Question: Pension vs SACCO
mwngptrck
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 19, 2012 3:05:33 PM

Here is my situation; I put aside on a monthly basis, 10k for a pension scheme with retirement set at 55yrs (am now 26).

I have been weighing the options of switching from this scheme and joining a sacco, with the same monthly deposits, considering that with a sacco, i will have the options of taking loans.

But at the same time, this sort of pulls away from the goal of having some money stashed up when I retire.

Any advice on this?? Think
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 19, 2012 3:17:31 PM

Pension is important but might lock you in. I think it depend. What I have done is increased my voluntary contribution on pension to the maximum allowed by law for the sake of cutting on tax. Then the rest I've put in the sacco not only for the loans but mainly for the dividend. If your sacco pays good dividend then you should consider it, problem is, dividend collected will find it's way to you stomach.

BBI will solve it
:)
mwngptrck
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 19, 2012 4:55:06 PM

what do you mean by "lock you in"
Kaka M
#4 Posted : Friday, December 21, 2012 9:42:24 AM

mwngptrck wrote:

I guess what he means is that your money will be tied until you r 55 years, there r variations to this requirement though.
Maybe you should consider a hybrid of joining both a Sacco and a pension scheme, the two r open ended in that if your income increases you can increase the contributions.
The Sacco will provide u with capital as soon as 6 months from the time you join and if you r aggressive enough you will grow your savings beyond your wildest dreams.
The pension will provide a one of boost at some future date, its also a way of diversification.
Mukiri
#5 Posted : Friday, December 21, 2012 11:23:57 AM

Kaka M wrote:
mwngptrck wrote:

I guess what he means is that your money will be tied until you r 55 years, there r variations to this requirement though.
Maybe you should consider a hybrid of joining both a Sacco and a pension scheme, the two r open ended in that if your income increases you can increase the contributions.
The Sacco will provide u with capital as soon as 6 months from the time you join and if you r aggressive enough you will grow your savings beyond your wildest dreams.
The pension will provide a one of boost at some future date, its also a way of diversification.

Ditto.

Diversify. Save some in a pension scheme and some in a Sacco. Take a loan from the Sacco and buy a piece of land. Let it appreciate as you farm it and sell or build your future house there. Or when a good assured money making venture comes in, invest. Make your money work for you.

Proverbs 19:21
mwngptrck
#6 Posted : Friday, December 21, 2012 1:51:28 PM

I think i'll do both but i prefer to be more aggressive on the pension as it will ensure some liquidity in the future considering am not great in saving. i already have several pieces of land and plan on building on one next year
What sacco do you advice on; the ones i have heard of:
>mhasibu has that accountant requirement
>murata has funny issues and a hacked website
>muramati has changed
wairegi
#7 Posted : Friday, December 21, 2012 5:06:56 PM

The best would be the hybrid option. You will access the sacco money before retirement and develop and the pension will be vital in those days that are difficult.

I have been using the two and think once you have saved enough (1/3) of what you are able to borrow then you can aggressively save with the pension
dnn
#8 Posted : Friday, December 21, 2012 5:51:28 PM

@ kaka, @wairegi: This option sounds interesting. Is there a hybrid product in the market and which firm for instance is offering?
Kaka M
#9 Posted : Friday, December 21, 2012 6:33:29 PM

mwngptrck wrote:
I think i'll do both but i prefer to be more aggressive on the pension as it will ensure some liquidity in the future considering am not great in saving. i already have several pieces of land and plan on building on one next year
>muramati has changed

Most Saccos r flexible in terms of membership there r several ways in which u can qualify to join, the best Sacco for an individual is one that you can find guarantors at the the time of borrowing, and where if u guarantee there is a way of seeing that you minimise risks of default by persons you guarantee. Eg, at your work place if there is a Sacco.
Search in Wazua for several other threads discussing about best Saccos to join.
@ Dnn My idea of a hybrid is one created by a specific individual, n now that you ask, I have heard of Pension schemes that have the options of lending to their members though I have never been keen to find out the details.
Managed funds could be another alternative to explore @ PtrckMwng.
kiwaru
#10 Posted : Saturday, December 22, 2012 2:24:11 PM

a wise person opened my eyes: to retire at 55 and live for another 20 yrs, assuming currently monthly budget is 60k you will need to have accumulated 60k X 12 X 20yrs = 14.4m
Now work backwardsto get how much you need to save currently 14.4 / (24yrs X 12) = 50kg. pm is the figure you need to save. Factor in inflation and occassional emergencies, add things like holidays and that figure grows like weeds
A good strategy is have the pension as a smaller component of your portfolio but build on other components to give cashflows and grow with inflation. Stock market and real estate come to mind.
A good idea to build savings when you are not good with cash is buy plots and shares then later sell as you build on others.
Dont forget to take insurance eg life; for protection (not growth or profit necessarily) esp if you have dependants

Trust in God and give every seed you plant time to grow
Ngong
#11 Posted : Thursday, January 10, 2013 9:12:49 PM

mwngptrck wrote:
>muramati has changed

smile You are a lucky man @ 26,several plots,cash at hand and not good in savings!
Young man whatever you are doing currently find ways to improve on it fulstop! You are doing very OK!
Forget about shares and pensions,otherwise you will be miserable like the old guys I see during AGMs
Mukiri
#12 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2013 11:03:32 AM

mwngptrck wrote:
>muramati has changed

I'd much rather aggression in a SACCO. At your age you can afford to make mistakes and learn from them. Moreover a business idea can one day come to you, you'll use what you have in the SACCO.

Check out Safaricom Investment Coop, UNAITAS (Former Muramati) and Kenya Bankers (Not sure if they allow non-bankers), check with your church also

Proverbs 19:21
madhaquer
#13 Posted : Thursday, January 17, 2013 5:35:10 PM

A sacco choice depends on how difficult/easy it will be for you to borrow when that time comes.
Some Sacco's insist you get guarantors while others will accept some collateral. ensure you know a few people who can guarantee you when you need that loan.
blueman
#14 Posted : Wednesday, February 13, 2013 6:44:25 PM

It should not be a choice of two, Pension or SACCO as this presumes savings without possibility of earning additional cash from those savings beyond the usual dividends. Widen the scope, think NSE, Unit trusts (like Old Mutual's), aggressive land speculation. Of course some of these presumes you have saved enough in a SACCO to take a sizeable loan of like a million shillings.
We make or break our own tomorrows today!
obiero
#15 Posted : Sunday, March 17, 2013 3:09:54 PM

kiwaru wrote:
a wise person opened my eyes: to retire at 55 and live for another 20 yrs, assuming currently monthly budget is 60k you will need to have accumulated 60k X 12 X 20yrs = 14.4m
Now work backwardsto get how much you need to save currently 14.4 / (24yrs X 12) = 50kg. pm is the figure you need to save. Factor in inflation and occassional emergencies, add things like holidays and that figure grows like weeds
A good strategy is have the pension as a smaller component of your portfolio but build on other components to give cashflows and grow with inflation. Stock market and real estate come to mind.
A good idea to build savings when you are not good with cash is buy plots and shares then later sell as you build on others.
Dont forget to take insurance eg life; for protection (not growth or profit necessarily) esp if you have dependants

@kiwaru. good advice

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
Angelica _ann
#16 Posted : Tuesday, March 19, 2013 7:36:50 PM

obiero wrote:
kiwaru wrote:

@kiwaru. good advice

Kgs of what?
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen