wazua Wed, Sep 25, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages12>
Can 500,000/= build a decent 2br?
Coolbull
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 19, 2012 9:44:01 AM

I'd like to know if 500,000/= can build a decent self-contained 2 bedroomed house in Lower Kabete(Red Soil).

I intend to direct the in-house loo to an existing pit latrine, so no septic tank to be build. (I hope doing this is legal).

Kindly give ideas.

willin2learn
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 19, 2012 10:02:33 AM

Coolbull wrote:
I'd like to know if 500,000/= can build a decent self-contained 2 bedroomed house in Lower Kabete(Red Soil).

I intend to direct the in-house loo to an existing pit latrine, so no septic tank to be build. (I hope doing this is legal).

Kindly give ideas.

there was a thread by User on the same sometime back. nyumba ya mwananchi. cant seem to locate it but wazuans gave insights on the same
yaserbigchair
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 19, 2012 10:33:44 AM

You can build any place in the world but if you manage yourself.

Using an existing pit, if its the government one is not legal. But something is not legal when you are caught.
Sound that I love most: Is the ringing bell of Stock Market.
boyd
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 19, 2012 1:47:11 PM

smallfama
#5 Posted : Thursday, July 19, 2012 4:35:41 PM

Also check here for other options

http://wazua.co.ke/forum.aspx?g=posts&t=11231
Horton
#6 Posted : Thursday, July 19, 2012 6:29:29 PM

Nope range per sq foot is 15000-35000

Lower Kabete wapi?? How bIg is the land? Wanna sell?
josiah33
#7 Posted : Thursday, July 19, 2012 8:59:56 PM

yaserbigchair wrote:
You can build any place in the world but if you manage yourself.

Using an existing pit, if its the government one is not legal. But something is not legal when you are caught.

Is substituting a pit latrine for a septic illegal?
Horton
#8 Posted : Thursday, July 19, 2012 10:17:43 PM

Cool bull lower kabete wapi? How big is the land wanna sell?
slykat
#9 Posted : Friday, July 20, 2012 2:08:26 AM

Horton wrote:
Cool bull lower kabete wapi? How big is the land wanna sell?

LOL! Reminds me of a fable;

A poor man passed on in his village at a ripe age.

He had never considered himself poor as Amadioha had blessed him with many sons.

All he left for his sons was the land he inherited from his father and fore-fathers before them. He had resisted the rich neighbour's offers for the land till the end.

Later when a son had managed to put aside some material for a small hut, the rich neighbour approached him, "son, this hut is not worthy of the first son of my great departed friend, Amadioha bless him. Sell me the land and I will pay you enough to build a decent house like mine".

Suffice to say, the son had no sons to consider. So he became a well-accommodated IDP.
nyangao
#10 Posted : Friday, July 20, 2012 8:26:39 AM

Coolbull wrote:

Kindly give ideas.

to do a good 2 bedroomed unit of average 75 sqm you need not less than 1 M, unless of course you have your own quarries, no tiles G32 mabati sheets and matchboarded doors.
but the 500,000 can finish your shell. finishes are what takes the largest chunk of the cash.
kivairu
#11 Posted : Saturday, July 21, 2012 2:17:48 PM

nyangao wrote:
Coolbull wrote:

Kindly give ideas.

to do a good 2 bedroomed unit of average 75 sqm you need not less than 1 M, unless of course you have your own quarries, no tiles G32 mabati sheets and matchboarded doors.
but the 500,000 can finish your shell. finishes are what takes the largest chunk of the cash.

This is truly a nyang'au thinking...... a prefab, can't be done with that much?

Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value. –Albert Einstein.
Coolbull
#12 Posted : Monday, July 23, 2012 9:01:05 AM

Horton wrote:
Nope range per sq foot is 15000-35000

Lower Kabete wapi?? How bIg is the land? Wanna sell?

Pole for the delayed reply. It's at Kamutini. It's not for sale - just development.
Coolbull
#13 Posted : Monday, July 23, 2012 9:08:41 AM

Wow, thank you all, I'm now wiser.
Ideas coming in:-
1.Do a foundation, walls and roof for the whole house.
2.Complete sitting room & washroom - plaster, doors, windows,sink etc.
3.Install Elec & Water. (Water is from a well-it's just pumping)
4.Move in.
5.Move in
6.The rest can be worked on as I save on rent.

I'm yet to get the cost in details...just approximates from pple in the industry.
a4architect.com
#14 Posted : Monday, July 23, 2012 11:29:53 AM

For you to construct with such a cost, you must first plan and chart a way how you will achieve this. Start by having an architectural plan that saves on space e.g where doors are opeing to give more room for furniture , less circulation/corridor spaces e.t.c.
Floor to ceiling height, roof truss types, size of windows and placement of wet areas will need to be carefully planned. Once this is through, choice of construction material and the most appropriate construction technology needs to be throught out. You can reduce the cost of foundation by using hardcore blinding.
I have just completed a 2 bedroomed house with kes 15,000 PER M2.
As Iron Sharpens Iron, So one Man Sharpens Another.
Coolbull
#15 Posted : Monday, July 23, 2012 12:16:34 PM

a4architect.com wrote:
For you to construct with such a cost, you must first plan and chart a way how you will achieve this. Start by having an architectural plan that saves on space e.g where doors are opeing to give more room for furniture , less circulation/corridor spaces e.t.c.
Floor to ceiling height, roof truss types, size of windows and placement of wet areas will need to be carefully planned. Once this is through, choice of construction material and the most appropriate construction technology needs to be throught out. You can reduce the cost of foundation by using hardcore blinding.
I have just completed a 2 bedroomed house with kes 15,000 PER M2.

Thanks a4architect. I've already started doing the ground-work(research). It's a brick & mortar house. I'm walking around viewing complete units,where possible talking to owners and also professionals in the industry.

So far it looks viable. Being tired of paying rent,I'm determined to move in once the sitting room and washroom are complete.

Cost of installing elec will be lower coz there is elec in the compound and I can do part wiring for myself.

I've also being checking this design http://www.a4architect.com/diamond-house-plan-cost/ but wondering if it can be the traditional 'box-like'house. Can using SSBs reduce the cost substantially, from what you incurred with the Kiserian 2br?
I've checked the Makiga-Engineering website but they don't have cost comparison.

I also have a fundi who has done good work for my relatives.He also has a good reputation - he doesn't steal materials or do shoddy work.

Kindly let me know how much the 2br cost you in total. What was the total area?
pariah
#16 Posted : Tuesday, February 26, 2013 4:26:17 PM

hi coolbull

how did your project go? have you moved in? will appreciate any pointers from you because i am loking to start a similar venture later this year (in Ngong)
thanks
newfarer
#17 Posted : Tuesday, February 26, 2013 6:28:29 PM

I have similar plans in Aug this year.septic tank already underway.I plan to harvest April rain water in the septic tank to save on water.still haven't done the architectural drawing but have conceptualised what I need.plans to do the drawings in may.God willing.
ideas welcome.

budget for structure 500000/- 3 bedroom
punda amecheka
Ngong
#18 Posted : Tuesday, February 26, 2013 7:19:14 PM

newfarer wrote:
I have similar plans in Aug this year.septic tank already underway.I plan to harvest April rain water in the septic tank to save on water.still haven't done the architectural drawing but have conceptualised what I need.plans to do the drawings in may.God willing.
ideas welcome.

Sad Thats a budget for the foundation only.
start searching for 1M more.
newfarer
#19 Posted : Tuesday, February 26, 2013 7:49:23 PM

Ngong wrote:
newfarer wrote:
ideas welcome.

Sad Thats a budget for the foundation only.
start searching for 1M more.

a neighbor in the adjacent plot is already doing his.his Fundi told me that the foundation plus walling blocks cost him 250,000.I think its possible to have the shell of the house with 500k since I will personally supervise the work so I expect little waste and a strong bargain.
punda amecheka
pariah
#20 Posted : Wednesday, February 27, 2013 9:44:48 AM

newfarer please keep us posted, i am thinking in similar liens too