wazua Sun, May 19, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Safaricom - the big picture (Mpesa,Bond,Dividends,Profits)
Djinn
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 28, 2009 8:01:00 AM

People,forgive my naivete in these matters and please offer your insights. Here is the thing,if Safaricom intends to raise 20 billion for network expansion through a bond:
1) If at the bourse,with investors reeling from poor performance,and bearing in mind today's govt infrastructure bond,plus the fact that banks are still grappling with debts owed by people who took loans to speculate on Safaricom,etc,etc - will this really work or was it a gimmick to help stimulate share prices and persuade shareholder to hold on to shares (thus avoid the SELL glut that has kept the price down)
2) Safaricom has taken the fight to commercial banks through Mpesa - can these same banks still help fund its expansion through loans or investing in bonds? Why not help SCOM to its death and keep off the bonds/loans
3) Average revenue per user (ARPU) keeps sliding like a greased penguin on melting ice - if they posted 14 billion last year,lets assume that even after the onslaught by Zain and the flurry of activity in the data market (Zuku,Orange,etc) they manage to post another 14 billion. So there are shareholders to be pleased - I saw a discussion about the impossibility of even paying out 50 cts per share - with 14 billion they could manage 25 cts dividends and still have some change,but not enough to fund expansion and pay debts. They are also due to pay their way into TEAMS,for a 20% share . Without bandwidth from TEAMS,they might as well start selling rotary dial phones. So,back to the bond,can it work really? So,lets say investors are not too keen on shares on the market,not even bonds - what can help Safaricom?

The problem with equality is that we desire that it be with those that have more than us rather that those that have less
VituVingiSana
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 28, 2009 8:15:00 AM

Bond buyers may have different objectives from equity buyers.

Many pension funds want 'liquidity' i.e. cash every month or year & buy bonds. Interest payments are 'guaranteed' while dividends are not.

Many funds (e.g. Old Mutual) wants bonds for liquidity as well for redemptions.

Some investors like steady cash flows.

Banks are investors as well. Even if safcon is a competitor,they still lens to safcon. Banks even lend to each other yet they are direct competitors.

Greedy when others are fearful,Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase WB
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
Djinn
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 28, 2009 8:47:00 AM

Thanks VituVingiSana - now,not meaning to be argumentative,assume the unit trust guys want to go for these (and have money tied up in shares and already in other bonds),will they not shed more (SCOM) shares to get liquid and buy into the bond? Thus sustaining low prices.

Also,we know not what profits SCOM has posted - at this juncture the bond is still a plan - and perhaps some clever presentation of results may enamour bond investors and banks to invest. However,I'm trying also to read some signals in the market,including the delay of allowing Zain to do its Zap - a delay I think will last until AFTER SCOM posts its results - assume the results are lacklustre,for those in for the long haul,Zain and its Zap and increasing market share,says a lot about what SCOM's profitability will be in 2010. They will definitely lose market share in voice,data and m-banking. Zain comes in well bank rolled and can do things in leaps and bounds.

My other concern is this - what is CMA's role in protecting the shareholders if unit managers,foreign investors,etc opt for the bond (and perhaps shed more SCOM shares,thus driving the price further down) since they are more secure,while the Kenyan's who bought the shares at Kshs 5 now have shares floating around Kshs 3 and with no dividend in sight. So the deep pockets win again? Is that fair?

Your take? Anyone?

The problem with equality is that we desire that it be with those that have more than us rather that those that have less
VituVingiSana
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 29, 2009 7:58:00 AM

1) It's an investment choice. You choose what gives you better returns. You sell shares to buy bonds if you think bonds will yield more. If the new bond is 'expensive' then you stay in shares or other bonds.

2) Bond will close late Feb. It will happen. We do not know the level of subscription. It is a 12-year bond but tradable. Banks are not retail clients. They are not enamored by presentations but returns.

3) I believe Zap should be licensed asap. I think Zain plays fair - simple tariffs not silly ones like Saasa.

4) SafCon profits? No idea but they will suffer with competition from Zain's Vuka (8/-). I had Ongea (10/-) so I vuka'd all my calls to Zain until SafCon did Jibambie. I still use Zain.

5) CMA is a joke but share prices unless manipulated or insider trading is not their concern. YOU decide whether to buy/sell/hold safcon at 3/-. CMA is supposed to ensure safety from fraud not price movements.

Jameni - It seems you want safety,protection of capital/investment & steady income. Then bonds are for you.

Greedy when others are fearful,Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase WB
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
maasai
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 29, 2009 11:41:00 AM

am wondering with over subcription of T.bills and if infrastructure and bond issue are successfully subscribed,then it will be a good indication that investors have seriously lost there confidence in shares-bearing in mind coop ipo was not successful.

A penny SAVED is a penny wasted if not INVESTED.
Djinn
#6 Posted : Thursday, May 21, 2009 9:29:00 AM

So where are we today with this? I was just a bit off the mark at 25 cts....

Fundaah
#7 Posted : Thursday, May 21, 2009 9:38:00 AM

Djinn

40,000,000,000 shares x (0.25-0.1) 0.15 dps=6,000,000,000

so you made a meagre Kshs 6Billion typo on the dividend? hahahahaha

I mean fundamental analysis,you get me?

Fundamental analysis of a business involves analyzing its financial statements and health,its management and competitive advantages,and its competitors
Isaiah 65:17-Look! I am creating new heavens and a new earth, and no one will even think about the old ones anymore
Djinn
#8 Posted : Thursday, May 21, 2009 9:52:00 AM

@ Fundaah - I prostrate myself at your feet oh great one,oh omniscient one...but wait a minute....which typo? Or is my grasp of English slipping....I was simply following up on the ABOVE post I created at the END of January....show me any other predictions that came withing hailing distance of this....and I will eat my shoes?

The General
#9 Posted : Wednesday, October 07, 2009 9:24:00 AM

Fixed bond yield at 12.25 pct

Safaricom bond to open on 7th October

The thicker the thigh the sweeter the pie.
The thicker the thigh the sweeter the pie.
freddro
#10 Posted : Wednesday, October 07, 2009 12:32:00 PM

Its already open.However,the minimum of 1million will lock out many retail investors.

freddro...
half_empty
#11 Posted : Wednesday, October 07, 2009 1:06:00 PM

btw,Kengen bond ilienda aje?