wazua Wed, Sep 25, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

5 Pages<12345>
Cyber Security
quicksand
#41 Posted : Sunday, February 10, 2013 4:08:46 PM

Yeap, I see your point. I like to see them as profilers. ..thinking like criminals to catch criminals or stop crime.
Now, at some point, @tycho said that cyber crime is more of a political problem, rather than a technical one. Actually, the reverse is true. For instance, encryption in the 90s for the first time became very difficult to break and also widely available (PGP of Phil Zimmerman)
Scared mathematicians and crypto experts ran scared to their technocrat govt bosses, saying 'we can't break this thing' ..that kicked a storm all the way to Washington DC. It is a clear case of technology appealing to politics. The US passed a law declaring algorithms and system surpassing a certain strength ordnance. Export was outlawed and was Zimmerman locked up.
Governments have been known to give RIM ultimatums, telling them to code backdoors into Blackberry's strong security, else no operating license will be granted. The drug and contraband site Silk Road is unhackable, untraceable, so far at least, causing the FBI immense frustration. Bitcoin, though not a criminal element per se is causing central economists some worry. So this is very much a technical problem. Politics usually leaves technology to its own devices, but advancement is making security operations more and more difficult, shielding citizens as well as criminals from scrutiny. Security is important to politics. So what is your take?
ChessMaster
#42 Posted : Sunday, February 10, 2013 4:24:30 PM

Politics and technology always go together because of politics is never far away from war.Wars are usually determined by technology.I think @tycho was right,technically we can do anything we want with technology but political will won't allow it because of their own desires. Economical bitcoin is a big problem but its a major problem because of the darknet. Politicians fear how technology is empowering the common man and slowly killing the influence they had.

In the past they could sell you any lie they wanted.Today a politician says one thing and a thread in wazua is already open scrutinizing every little detail s/he said. Even if they keep on saying security is the problem,right now may people can build bombs if they wanted to just from reading and collecting information from the web.How come I don't see everyone doing it? I also don't see everyone trying to hack banks or m-pesa or any other system. Yes blackhats are there but it seems politicians have another agenda with the web.
Uncertainty is certain.Let go
quicksand
#43 Posted : Sunday, February 10, 2013 4:53:21 PM

People hack banks all the time, especially in Kenya, it never gets out. Breaches are sensitive. Confidence and trust must be maintained. Credit cards are drained, money transferred, they quickly reset the balances and write off the theft using some accounting trickery.
A local company was hacked and its switches used as a free forwarding service for international VoIP and data traffic for weeks until they were slapped with a huge bill then they went poking around their systems.
I suspect governments are increasingly losing the tech war with criminals and even though politicians hate scrutiny and knowledgeable people, seriously tech savvy criminals very very worrying. It is a genuine problem. I am ambivalent about things like biometric face recognition at airports and passports, even though they are an invasion of privacy. Wouldn't want terrorists moving in and out at will. As citizens, we should be ready to permit some limited privacy invasion, because when we are attacked, we bay for our leaders' blood. We have to give some ground to get some measure of protection. Measures like not having anonymous SIM cards are good
ChessMaster
#44 Posted : Sunday, February 10, 2013 5:11:38 PM

Definitely if word got out about how insecure so many of our systems are there would be too much chaos. Question is,why is it now that politicians feel its ok to talk about it? Even though cyber wars have been going on unnoticed to the masses why is it getting in the spotlight now. There are some measures which should be taken.The SIM card is one of them.Even the web so measures should be taken.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety - Benjamin Franklin. We need to be secure can't deny that.The question I have for you is how far should we go in the name of security?
radio
#45 Posted : Sunday, February 10, 2013 5:32:37 PM

ChessMaster wrote:

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety - Benjamin Franklin. We need to be secure can't deny that.The question I have for you is how far should we go in the name of security?

What did Benjamin mean with that statement?

On to you question on how far we should go, I we will increasingly see our privacy invaded in the name of security. Right now, there camera devices in some.airports that can literally see through you clothes. Does that tell you how far!?
ChessMaster
#46 Posted : Sunday, February 10, 2013 5:47:03 PM

radio wrote:
ChessMaster wrote:

What did Benjamin mean with that statement?

On to you question on how far we should go, I we will increasingly see our privacy invaded in the name of security. Right now, there camera devices in some.airports that can literally see through you clothes. Does that tell you how far!?

If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom - Dwight D. Eisenhower. I think what's Franklin meant.

It's just ridiculous. I think its the UK,they are paying people to watch other people in their homes via webcam. Yes,the people being viewed committed crimes or something like that.But that's just crazy. Even me I'm against such cameras and the TSA nude body scanners.Someone once said George Orwell wrote 1984 as a warning not as a guideline. I wouldn't even know who George Orwell was if it wasn't for the internet.To top it off,his book is a banned book.

http://rt.com/news/uk-big-brother-online-533/

quicksand
#47 Posted : Sunday, February 10, 2013 6:53:21 PM

How far should we go in the name of security? Hehehe. I am afraid you will never get an honest or sensible answer to that question. Nation-states and politicians prefer to leave that ambiguous and let pragmatists get down to the trenches of figuring out how to handle citizens' security. Now pragmatists will nod and agree with courts and human rights experts in the day and open, then go ahead to break laws they deem to support in the dark as long as they have that ambiguity license.
In most countries, breaches of privacy are not punished by criminal (jailable) liability, but more like censure. Those caught are harangued by committees, fined, may be fired. It is a tacit understanding between politicians and security experts. Because the enemy plays dirty and idealists are hopelessly out of depth in these matters. It is a murky business.
And this is the way it will be for a long time to come.
ChessMaster
#48 Posted : Sunday, February 10, 2013 7:00:03 PM

So true and politicians will get their way no matter what idealist say.
tycho
#49 Posted : Sunday, February 10, 2013 7:45:59 PM

What are we securing?

Privacy? No. Privacy has ended. Property? Everything is visible and traceable, and abundant.

The 'thing' that will need security is the network system. Networks will need to be secured from 'entropy' and other 'organic' afflictions.

I think Cyber security is entering into new grounds.
ChessMaster
#50 Posted : Sunday, February 10, 2013 8:35:58 PM

tycho wrote:
What are we securing?

Privacy? No. Privacy has ended. Property? Everything is visible and traceable, and abundant.

The 'thing' that will need security is the network system. Networks will need to be secured from 'entropy' and other 'organic' afflictions.

Hahaha...'organic' afflictions. The network needs to be protected. What direction do you think it will take?
tycho
#51 Posted : Sunday, February 10, 2013 9:06:51 PM

ChessMaster wrote:
tycho wrote:
What are we securing?

Hahaha...'organic' afflictions. The network needs to be protected. What direction do you think it will take?

Bio-mimetics.
xyzee
#52 Posted : Sunday, February 10, 2013 9:40:22 PM

Hacking is big business out there, some are organized complete with a chain of command and even financial targets.

Such hackers may take up jobs from rogue employees who give them inside info for a fee.

ChessMaster
#53 Posted : Sunday, February 10, 2013 10:45:30 PM

@tycho - I thought you meant politicians.Sorry for that.

@xyzee - Totally right.
quicksand
#54 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2013 12:52:38 AM

tycho wrote:
What are we securing?

Nope. Network systems are basically pipes. Their protocols are written on hardware or firmware ..the routing logic is immutable, once it is burned onto the silicon at the factory thats it. That is why you will rarely hear statements like ..hackers cracked a router at uvw and did xyz. It is 'source' and 'end' systems that need protecting because their logic is software based, hence mutable. It is extremely hard to hack hardware, especially when you have no physical access.
tycho
#55 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2013 11:32:28 AM

quicksand wrote:
tycho wrote:
What are we securing?

Nope. Network systems are basically pipes. Their protocols are written on hardware or firmware ..the routing logic is immutable, once it is burned onto the silicon at the factory thats it. That is why you will rarely hear statements like ..hackers cracked a router at uvw and did xyz. It is 'source' and 'end' systems that need protecting because their logic is software based, hence mutable. It is extremely hard to hack hardware, especially when you have no physical access.

Your argument, is true if networks don't include humans as part of hardware.

But computer hardware and humans can be networked to create new institutions and systems. These are socio-technical networks.
ChessMaster
#56 Posted : Thursday, February 14, 2013 9:31:42 PM

ChessMaster
#57 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2013 11:22:52 AM

ChessMaster
#58 Posted : Saturday, February 23, 2013 4:03:19 PM

ChessMaster
#59 Posted : Tuesday, February 26, 2013 10:06:15 AM

ChessMaster
#60 Posted : Wednesday, February 27, 2013 5:42:49 AM

Let's get serious.Android is a magnet for mobile malware.Couple that with mobile money and we've got a recipe for disaster.Solutions?