wazua Fri, May 24, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

AA money market fund - how safe is it?
richsure
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 26, 2009 12:50:00 PM

if instead of money lying in the cds i authorise AA to put the money in their money market fund as i decide what shares to buy,how safe would be my cash?

This will earn me some interest rather than the money just being in the cds

but am not sure how safe the cash would be if anything happened to AA

Better days are ahead
se7en
#2 Posted : Monday, April 27, 2009 5:18:00 AM

MMF's are your safest bet in times of high volatility but not for growth only for capital preservation as they invest in gov't backed securities,et al so unless there's a coup,your chums are k-ok.

if you can not be kind,at least have the decency to be vague
speak softly and carry a big stick, you will go far... Theodore Roosevelt
VituVingiSana
#3 Posted : Monday, April 27, 2009 6:29:00 AM

In the USA,some MMFs were trading at LESS than the $1 per unit they are supposed to.

Greedy when others are fearful,Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase WB
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
ecstacy
#4 Posted : Monday, April 27, 2009 3:20:00 PM

If it is the NSE,take positions. If you've not already noted,some of the prices you are seeing may be the lowest in a while. Procrastination perhaps? pesa ni zako lakini.
xxxxx
#5 Posted : Monday, April 27, 2009 7:01:00 PM

They are extremely low return and very very safe. The only potential problem will be when you actually want to access the money and they start giving you stories.

beware the irrational exuberance on the NSE
smano
#6 Posted : Tuesday, April 28, 2009 5:43:00 AM

@richsure,in any unit trust investment,you have 3 key players:

1. The fund manager - AA
2. The custodian - ??
3. The trustee - ??

The custodian receives all investor funds and gets a guarantee from CBK,that's why custodians have to have a minimum working capital of I think ksh.1B

The trustee ensures that the fund manager invests the fund according to the trust deed stipulations. If AA,or any other fund manager for that matter,went down,investor funds are not in their balances,rather in the different securities they've invested in. CMA & CBK would come in to see the modalities of how you'd get your market value back. For that reason,unit trusts are very secure investments.

smano
BEER IS LIVING PROOF THAT GOD LOVES US AND WANTS US TO BE HAPPY!
eli
#7 Posted : Tuesday, April 28, 2009 7:08:00 AM

Safe? Yes,but little capital growth!

But you shall remember the LORD your God,for it is He who is giving you power to make wealth,that He may confirm His covenant which He swore to your fathers,as it is this day. Deu 8:18
smano
#8 Posted : Tuesday, April 28, 2009 2:52:00 PM

@eli,money market funds are for capital preservation as opposed to growth and are ideal for short term investors e.g. you have money now and are eyeing a plot somewhere. before you can seal the deal,just put your funds in a MMF. You preserve capital and you exit with your return (which is compounded daily) when you need your funds. Money market yields are higher than for most banks for similar investments. They're ideal for short term investors (less than a year)coz over the long term you're not beating inflation.

smano
BEER IS LIVING PROOF THAT GOD LOVES US AND WANTS US TO BE HAPPY!
baraka
#9 Posted : Tuesday, April 28, 2009 3:17:00 PM

AA mmf...
Questions to look at. Custodian? Trustees? Management structure and personnel?,Auditors?,capital base? and how much assets under management.?
you will know the bird by the feathers... i bet after the exercise you will change your mind.

money is my servant