wazua Tue, Sep 24, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages12>
Linux OS
sweetie
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 16, 2009 3:00:00 PM

hi guys. i've been thinking of getting a linux based OS for my laptop. anyone experienced with the use of LInux? which are the best ones for individual use? i've read that many exist eg Red Hat,Suse etc but i'm not sure which one is best. please advise
wanyo
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 16, 2009 5:05:00 PM

Get a look at ubuntu www.ubuntu.com a very good one for beginners in linux.
i too
subzero
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 16, 2009 6:44:00 PM

it depends on why you want to go to linux.

if its for experimental purposes,just get a live CD its runs straight from CD. no need to install.
in that case,try knoppix live CD.
Still the question remains why do you want to move to linux? then we'll be able to advice you best.
President Obam-Bam
#4 Posted : Friday, July 17, 2009 4:31:00 AM

@ subzero,my reason for wanting to try out linux is simply discovery.i would just love to try something différent than Windows Vista which i find cumbersome.by the way,i'm just an ordinary comp user-email,internet and Office applications. @ wanyo checked out Ubuntu and i like it.thanks

Yes we can
Djinn
#5 Posted : Friday, July 17, 2009 5:30:00 AM

I agree wtih Wanyo - Ubuntu kicks ass (and any other Microsoft based organs). Good security,small footprint. For a while Dell was preloading laptops with Ubuntu. Just to convince you more - Ubuntu is an African Linux flavour - try and google the meaning of Ubuntu - it really makes sense given that it is OSS. On the Ubuntu site you can request a CD (or two) and they will mail it to you for FREE - or if you have a decent link you can download off the site.

The problem with equality is that we desire that it be with those that have more than us rather that those that have less
mukiha
#6 Posted : Friday, July 17, 2009 8:32:00 AM

@sweetie & @Preident Obam-Bam; are you the same person? Why is the later answering a question directed at the former?

@Djinn; Obuntu is NOT an 'African Linux flavour' It is just a NAME chosen for one flavour of Linux. There is nothing African about the OS,except the name!!

@sweetie; Linux is good in terms of being immune to viruses. A few years ago it was not able to open MS applications (Word,Excel,etc),but now it does...and if you have an older version (7 or earlier) you can get a small programme to help you open MS applications.

I tried migrating one time but I had problems getting drivers to run my telephone modem...which was providing my internet connection....Ubuntu asked me to download the drivers from the internet!!!

If you are used to Windows,you will find Linux equally cumbersome,if not worse!!

I always keep a copy at hand: it comes in handy when you need to deleted files infected by a virus that has no cure.

Behind the gardens...Behind the wall...Under the tree (Including: Red...Dark Blue...Yellow)
Nothing is real unless it can be named; nothing has value unless it can be sold; money is worthless unless you spend it.
kaman
#7 Posted : Friday, July 17, 2009 9:01:00 AM

Congrats! now you are moving in the right direction,linux is everything (if you like discovering). Ubuntu is ok. For test purposes,you can first try the live cd after which you can install.

Fedora is equally good. For any support you call keep back to us the gurus in linux

Everybody can perform just like the other on the same conditions
Djinn
#8 Posted : Friday, July 17, 2009 9:06:00 AM

Mukiha - you want to wager on that?

The problem with equality is that we desire that it be with those that have more than us rather that those that have less
adept
#9 Posted : Friday, July 17, 2009 9:14:00 AM

I am yet to be won over to Ubuntu. How does it compare with Fedora?
sweetie
#10 Posted : Friday, July 17, 2009 12:12:00 PM

@ all,thanks for the useful advice.I think i will download the Ubuntu on my laptop and try to use it for about two months or so to gauge it's performance in comparison to Windows. I must say that my only interest in this is to discover a new operating system,it's merits and demerits,etc.
@ mukiha,for this post,President Obam-Bam and i are the same person. when replying i used my boyfriend's phone and forgot that he had already logged in under the President user name. Thanks for making me realize my error.in reality,however,we are two different people
wanyo
#11 Posted : Friday, July 17, 2009 1:03:00 PM

Welcome all to the Linux world.

ps dont be so happy to kick out windows. for the heavy users of computing you need to check for compatibility of your applications and drivers. If you really like Linux but are held back by windows you may try Vatualizations utilities - they enable you run an OS (windows for this case) like an applications in Linux.

wish good xperiences @ every1
i too
subzero
#12 Posted : Friday, July 17, 2009 1:10:00 PM

if all you want is discover,don't bother installing. just use knoppix.
linux is one cumbersome OS. doing simple stuff becomes such a hustle. mara its mounting drives. etc. like mukiha,phone drivers are a hustle to get on any linux.

but linux is better than windows on only one thing,its shell is superior. you can write scripts to do or automate just about anything,and i love that. but that's not an advantage to a user without a level of programming experienced.

for my desktop by the way,Am a windows die-hard. recently moved to windows 7 and loving it. that i guess is the fastest and most usable OS yet.
iMANI
#13 Posted : Friday, July 17, 2009 3:19:00 PM

@Mukiha
You're actually wrong this time.
There is nothing African about the OS,except the name
There is something very MAJOR about Ubuntu as it's developed by Canonical Ltd which is owned by Mark Shuttleworth who is an African (well a South african to be precise).

@Djinn
if Mukiha had accepted the wager,you'd actually have won

@ subzero
linux is one cumbersome OS. doing simple stuff becomes such a hustle. mara its mounting drives
don't be fooled. linux is actually the most simplest...(is that grammatically correct)....OS around. i can give you the 100 advtgs why but i'll just list 3:
1. it's free hence you don't need to fork out sh12,000 and above for the XP license
2. almost 95% of the software associated with it is also free (you don't need to pay for MS-Office when you can get the same functionality with Open Office)
3. no need of worrying about viruses and worms and trojans etc

@ sweetie
hope your download of ubuntu went ok. if not there's an easier way. just log into this site https://shipit.ubuntu.com/ and request a CD and they will deliver one to you for absolutely no cost at all right on your doorstep....(well actually in your postal box...but you get my point)

finally,to the most important question.
Which is the best linux OS?
IMHO Linux Mint is the favourite for this tag. It's simply 'ubuntu done right'. everything works out of the box,it has the best looking theme and it's simple enough for a 6 yr old to use..... (research has actually proven this)....or in to put it in a local context for your Mpig who know nothing about IT to learn and use in about an hr....(I'm still carrying out research on this). you can download linux mint (697MB) from here http://www.linuxmint.com/.

Warning: once you go linux mint way,i promise you M$ Windows will be a long lost relative

It's amazing what you can achieve if you don't care who gets the credit.
Life and beer are very similar........chill for best results.

mzeiya.411
#14 Posted : Saturday, July 18, 2009 10:06:00 AM

download vmware workstation 6.0 or higher from vmware.com then install. run the linux distro of our choice. hope ua laptop has 1GB of ram or higher.
mukiha
#15 Posted : Saturday, July 18, 2009 10:23:00 AM

@iMANI & @Djinn;

Perhaps I was too categorical in my assertion. Yes; Mark Shuttleworth provided the seed capital for Canonical,the DISTRIBUTORS of Ubuntu. But still,that does not make Ubuntu 'African Linux flavour' as Djinn put it.

Behind the gardens...Behind the wall...Under the tree (Including: Red...Dark Blue...Yellow)
Nothing is real unless it can be named; nothing has value unless it can be sold; money is worthless unless you spend it.
mukiha
#16 Posted : Saturday, July 18, 2009 10:31:00 AM

This is what Canonical says about itself. Note that the word 'AFRICA' does not appear anywhere!!!
======

Founded in late 2004,Canonical Ltd is a company headquartered in Europe with over 200 employees working in 23 countries (and counting). Canonical is the commercial sponsor of Ubuntu project.

Our mission
Our mission is to realise the potential of free software in the lives of individuals and organisations by:

delivering the world's best free software platform
ensuring its availability to everyone
supporting it with high quality professional service offerings
facilitating the continued growth and development of the free software community

Our staff
Our staff has deep roots in the open source community and a proven track record of success in the commercial software industry. Team members include leaders from the Gnome,KDE,Linux,Debian and Bazaar open source projects,helping us to stay at the forefront of the rapidly changing open source software world.

Our community
We believe the open source community simply creates better software. Our community enables us to increase our development capacity many times over. Everyone collaborates. As a result,we deliver higher quality,more secure and more easily integrated software. And we do it more frequently than others do.

Our services
Services include 24x7 support and professional services,engineering services,and hardware and software certification for Ubuntu. Our global partner network offers local support,industry leading hardware and software from 500 companies globally. Our training programme offers classroom-based courses to help administrators obtain 'Ubuntu Certified Professional' status. UCP is a training certification based on the LPI level 1 certification.

Our distribution
Ubuntu is a community developed and supported project. Since its launch in October 2004,Ubuntu has become one of the most highly regarded Linux distributions with millions of users around the world. Every six months we select,test and bring together the world's best free and open source software,and make it freely available on common technology platforms.

Ubuntu will always be free to download,free to use and free to distribute to others. With these goals in mind,Ubuntu aims to be the most widely used Linux system,and is the centre of a global open source software ecosystem.

Drew
#17 Posted : Saturday, July 18, 2009 12:53:00 PM

try linux ultimate edition
sweetie
#18 Posted : Saturday, July 18, 2009 3:38:00 PM

@ all,thanks for the debate. i'm learning quite a bit. tried to download Ubuntu but it took too long and i gave up. Had a very slow ISP-AfricaOnline so i decided to order a CD to try out. can't wait for the era of High speed,Lower cost internet to start. When are these cables going live?
kiterunner
#19 Posted : Monday, April 06, 2015 8:45:52 PM

Linux Mint is very nice and light, you can run it in parallel to your host
our goals are best achieved indirectly
ole3
#20 Posted : Monday, May 04, 2015 9:58:05 PM

kiterunner wrote:
Linux Mint is very nice and light, you can run it in parallel to your host

way to have several distros running think i got spoilt with free stuff