wazua Thu, Mar 28, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages12>
Robs Magic or Monroe Shocks and springs
Jaymiggy
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 10, 2009 6:31:00 PM

Hi good people,

Am looking for good shocks and coil springs for my Subaru Impreza car (the suspension is quite weak for Kenyan roads). Anyone with info on the pricing of either Rob's magic or Monroe shocks and coil spings? which of the two is better?
tuvok
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 11, 2009 6:57:00 AM

Most guys seem to prefer Monroe shocks.

I have a friend who also has an Imprezza and he loves the Monroe shocks/springs..

They'll cost though :) especially for Subaru.
Jaymiggy
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 11, 2009 8:01:00 AM

@ 2vok,

Thanks for that info. If you have the costings,please pass them on.
auka
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 11, 2009 8:26:00 AM

Monroe Shocks + Kings Coil Springs from Oriel on MSA road will sort u out. Had a similar prob with my Gallant - 1998 model - sorte it kabisa..and cost 82k!! Good luck..

Novice Investor!
Jaymiggy
#5 Posted : Thursday, June 11, 2009 8:41:00 AM

@ auka,

Shukhran sana. I'll check them out hoping they'll be flexible with the pricing and the fitting will be an after sale service.

Was thinking of spacers but saw in another thread that they are likely to make my ride less stable beating the sense of owning a Subaru! hiyo hapana taka!!
tuvok
#6 Posted : Thursday, June 11, 2009 8:54:00 AM

@Jaymiggy.

Pricewise - possibly 10-13k apiece for the shocks.

Fitting is quite possibly going to be free if you are spending...
Shak
#7 Posted : Thursday, June 11, 2009 8:55:00 AM

@ auka. You parted with a whole 82 thao for shocks and springs ama its a typo error? By the way,i think i know you. Do you play rugby?

smile
auka
#8 Posted : Thursday, June 11, 2009 9:15:00 AM

@ Shak - front Shock = @ 12500,rear = @ 11000 and Kings Coils + Protection Kit ~ 37k. After that the car was really stable. The cars normally cost abot 350k resell but the dude who bought it knew the condition (of course with documentary evidence),he paid 490K! was not that bad...and NO you dont know me...the only game i play i hide and seek!!

Novice Investor!
Jaymiggy
#9 Posted : Thursday, June 11, 2009 9:19:00 AM

@ 2vok,

taking the upper limit on the shocks price,4 x 13 = 52k. am tending to think the king coils (7 coil i guess) are not more than 5k hence 5 x 4 = 20k. Total of max 72k,correct me if am wrong please.
auka
#10 Posted : Thursday, June 11, 2009 9:27:00 AM

@ Jaymiggy - Include VAT! Will come near mu cost....unless ur VAT exempt! eh!

Novice Investor!
Jaymiggy
#11 Posted : Thursday, June 11, 2009 9:37:00 AM

@ auka - enyewe plus 16% VAT (hoping UK won't pandisha it b4 I buy them) it comes to around 84K. Does this also include the Protection kit?
Buster
#12 Posted : Thursday, June 11, 2009 9:53:00 AM

Shak!

Why are you shocked at that cost? You have to spend to be sure of quality.

Jaymiggy!

I fitted one car with Robs springs way back in 2005 as I travel to western Kenya atleast twice a Month. Before they repaired the NBI - NKU road or even the NKU-KSM one. Now those farmiliar with the state of those roads then will know what am talking about. I have not been dissapointed since. They even make your shocks last double the life. And the guys installing them will not let you use spacers. The coils lift the car so no need of spacers.

Last Year I fitted another one with Monroe Springs - although good,I dont feel the car being as stable as the one with Robs. I still prefer using the one with Robs when travelling. Get this-when I took my car for valuation cause of insurance purposes the Guy refused to believe that I have had the Car since 2005 cause the underbelly is still perfect. The cost is high but believe me you wont be visiting Suspension Guys for more than a Year. Also purchase and fit bushes from them
Waria
#13 Posted : Thursday, June 11, 2009 10:19:00 AM

In my experience with company cars,i think robbs have better coils and bushes and monroe have better shocks.

If you have the time do a hybrid of robbs coils and monroe shocks.

As an aside ... if you rarely travel out then go for original parts from a dealer since the two above tend to be so rigid beyond manufacturers specs

Me first,U next
Jaymiggy
#14 Posted : Thursday, June 11, 2009 11:03:00 AM

@ All:

This is what I have gathered from your sendiments: a) I don't travel upcountry so much hence will check what Sub Kenya or Lota Motors pricing is (since they might be 'cheaper' than Robbs & Monroe - to be confirmed). b) Robb's have best coils and bushes. c) Monroe have best shocks.

This is the beauty of having SK around!! Long Live SKerians!!!
seppuku
#15 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2013 10:27:10 PM

I am looking to raise my Subaru Impreza GG3 ('05 model). I was doing some research here on Wazua and dug up this thread. A couple of mechanics (including one at Oriel) have told me that just fitting new coil springs will fix the problem and I need not bother with new shocks. I'm not quite sure how they're able to judge that without disassembling the suspension. What has been your experience? Is it alright to just change the springs and leave the shocks alone? What's the best way to make this judgement? In any case I have decided I am going with King Springs. Any user reviews will be appreciated.
Learn first to treat your time as you would your money, then treat your money as you do your time.
Money Whisperer
#16 Posted : Saturday, January 26, 2013 10:17:59 AM

seppuku wrote:
I am looking to raise my Subaru Impreza GG3 ('05 model). I was doing some research here on Wazua and dug up this thread. A couple of mechanics (including one at Oriel) have told me that just fitting new coil springs will fix the problem and I need not bother with new shocks. I'm not quite sure how they're able to judge that without disassembling the suspension. What has been your experience? Is it alright to just change the springs and leave the shocks alone? What's the best way to make this judgement? In any case I have decided I am going with King Springs. Any user reviews will be appreciated.

that's cutting corners and will compromise on the quality. the shocks have done their rounds and you fit new coils; the new coils will strain the old shocks and soon you will be needing new shocks. Just change everything including bushes and enjoy the ride
"Money never sleeps"
bird_man
#17 Posted : Sunday, July 14, 2013 10:56:36 PM

@Wazuans....I also want to raise my Impreza 05 model without disturbing stability.Which springs to use?
I travel to Nyeri say once a month, what shocks would you recommend for a comfy ride?Is Monroe overrated & how do they compare to Robs Magic?
Formally employed people often live their employers' dream & forget about their own.
Rankaz13
#18 Posted : Sunday, July 14, 2013 11:15:46 PM

bird_man wrote:
@Wazuans....I also want to raise my Impreza 05 model without disturbing stability.Which springs to use?
I travel to Nyeri say once a month, what shocks would you recommend for a comfy ride?Is Monroe overrated & how do they compare to Robs Magic?

Monroe works fine, not overrated as you ask. But they are quite pricey, last I checked at a certain garage in Karen, full set for Subaru was at least 68k. From asking around, Rob's Magic are good too but apparently are too stiff and hence not recommended for small vehicles/cars.

The garage I refer to is just after Galleria shopping mall (ama inaitwaje ile iko na Nakumatt galleria) on your way to Karen. You'll see it on the right opposite the Oil Libya petrol station.
Life is like playing a violin solo in public and learning the instrument as one goes on.
Siringi
#19 Posted : Monday, July 15, 2013 2:56:22 AM

seppuku wrote:

Shame on you Wachana na those mechanics who learnt under a tree via apprenticeship or through the window ya daro. Had some mechanics use the "shake test" and got four different opinions. One swore should only change front ones. Drove to Autoxpress car was stripped in twenty minutes - for free( ok you.'ll need alignment baadaye) only one choko had some life left! Kumbe i have been driving around on springs!

They have a tensioner that tests springs and mine passed. Got a set of four and she was good to go.. Not at the prices mentioned above. . . Much much less. . .Maybe due to my ride which is the car infront of you. . .
Hope to get another at least 50k kms including round trips to coast , ridges, western etc.
Trust me some brand names are overrated
"😖😡KQ makes money for everyone except the shareholder 😏😏 " overheard in Wazua
bird_man
#20 Posted : Monday, July 15, 2013 8:26:38 AM

@Siringi......uliwekewa gani?
Formally employed people often live their employers' dream & forget about their own.