wazua Sat, Sep 28, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages12>
a home first or rental property first?
BAAK
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 21, 2009 12:56:00 PM

When did you construct your first rental property and where? What was its extent – as in did you start with single rooms and later on ‘graduate’ to multi-storey self-contained units. Did you first build your own house and then built rental property later.. or did you start with rental property and later on did your own house? Looking back in hindsight,would you advise young couples to first build some rental property and construct their ‘dream’ home later,or would you advise them to build a modest home then rental houses..AND if you have your own home and no rental property..do you think it would have been better if you started with ‘modest’ rental property first…

Please..someone share your experiences coz many of us would like to venture in real estate and are wondering where to start…A home first or rental units first?..You might just assist an Skerian to make the best financial investment decision someone ever can

As an Skerian,I acknowledge that I have benefited immensely from the info posted here by others. There4,I promise to assist others in the same way by responding to request for info,as long as am privileged in the subject issue..SK Pledge..
Blackberry
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 21, 2009 1:19:00 PM

I think the decision will depend on the risk apetite one has and the circumtance one is in because while it may be desirous for a young couple to 1st invest,they may not have the luxury of choice if there are kids in the equation.

Opinion is free,truth is sacred.

Opinion is free, truth is sacred.

wangura
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 21, 2009 1:30:00 PM

Me started with rental so that the rental houses can later build for me my dream home without me chipping a cent out of pocket. I have no regrets with the plan,but thats just me
half_empty
#4 Posted : Tuesday, July 21, 2009 2:00:00 PM

thing is everyone's story is different... start by living in umoja.... then buru... then langata... karen...renting out the former as you move
SMALLGURU
#5 Posted : Tuesday, July 21, 2009 3:51:00 PM

if i were to do it today,i will do it differently. I started with rental,then my home ( In an estate which is not my current choise) and then back to rental. I do not know when i will built the house of my choise! My advice is to do rental for a period of approx. ten years assuming you are an employee and thereafter built your dream house. Hope this helps.

Investing is all about sacrificing today for a happy tomorrow.
LimuruBoy
#6 Posted : Tuesday, July 21, 2009 8:30:00 PM

This is a dilemma that has worried me for a while. I decided to start with building flats to rent out in Eastlands,with the hope that by the time i return to Kenya in 3 yrs or so,they'll be fetching me a nice income to provide for my famo. The temptation to build a personal house instead of the flats,is greater than u can imagine as I would hate to rent a hao when i return......but as tempting as it is,I'm going to finish with the rental flats first...because i reason that that would be mzuri income forever.

I'm also considering borrowing from S & L and building a modest house in a 2nd rate neighborhood that I can settle into upon my return,...then hopefully later on i can put together enuff chumes to build the house of my dreams in the neighborhood of my dreams.

The great thing about building rentals first is that in future,u can use the income from that property to build ur house. And even after building the house,the income will continue coming in. I think building a personal house before u invest,is kinda like eating the golden egg instead of letting it hatch into a bunch of chickens that will lay many eggs. In the future,u can then eat an egg or two,and still have many kukus laying eggs daily. Just my opinion.

'All they see is my glory...they don't know my pain. Nothing good comes easy in life.' - Multibillionaire Nelson Muguku Njoroge
Mainat
#7 Posted : Tuesday, July 21, 2009 10:02:00 PM

Both can work. Build your own home so no rent use the savings from the same to invest in several plots. Use you home as collateral to borrow and build some serious rental properties on the said plots. Sell a few of the rental properties,repay the loan and rent out the rest. In 10yrs time,you'll have rental properties,own fully paid-up home and savings to put into shares and bonds. In 20yrs time,you move out of your current home into a bigger own home and rent the current out...

www.mjengakenya.blogspot.com
Sehemu ndio nyumba
Mr.Tea
#8 Posted : Wednesday, July 22, 2009 7:05:00 AM

Interesting supposition.I think these two are mutually exclusive in that while one is a purely investment decision the other is social of course with an investment potential. Allow me to expound.Property development is an investment like any other and its viability should be evaluated as such devoid of sentimentalities. Whether one 'schemes off' proceeds from such investments to build/buy themselves a dream house is a whole different matter altogether. The business of buying/building a house comes with such considerations as family needs/conveniences and requirements,boyhood fantasies et al.Not to embellish the point too much...I guess what I'm trying to say is that few economic factors go into some of these decisions. Thats why we hear of people buying homes at some ridiculous sums of cash.

Anyways,if one wishes to take the route of real estate to reach their financial goals,the one thing they ought to consider is that it is an investment like any other fraught with its set of challenges but they are not insurmountable. Peni mbili papo hapo.

Patience Pays in Guaranteed Checks
Patience Pays In Guaranteed Checks.
smooth
#9 Posted : Wednesday, July 22, 2009 7:35:00 AM

I started off with my own home,and am currently buying commercial plots and hope to do it the mainat way. No regrets on my end.

The challenge though is the choice of your home. with time,you will keep upgrading where you wish to make your home,this is often due to improved status or perhaps change of preferences . my advice is often being keen on the type of neighbours you wish to have and especially if the area you wish to have your home is of a restricted setting .

BAAK,buy land in a sligthly 'higher ' neighbourhood now .. as it will be more expensive when you wish to settle .

Smooth
Waria
#10 Posted : Wednesday, July 22, 2009 7:42:00 AM

I bet my money on rental property first and even acquired land in eastlands for the same. Not wanting to 'bury my money' i decided to invest else where first . In the meant time the social pressures of family come to bear and i had to acquire land in a decent neighbourhood where i plan to build THE house later on. I dont regret this as the recent land rally would have clearly locked me out of the place.

I have now gone back to the rentals which i am building one stone at a time....

Me first,U next
Sarrouniya
#11 Posted : Wednesday, July 22, 2009 12:13:00 PM

In light of the various points raised here,I'd advise to buy a plot in the neighbourhood of choice then go on to buy n develop rental units. This will help u along in two ways:

>You will be assured of a steady income to build ur dream home. Remember it is your dream home so u dont want to deal with tight finances for this or that. (You can do this with rental units).

>In the event that ur neighbourhood of choice changes over the 'developing period' u can dispose of it and with income from the rental units,acquire a plot at the now preferred location.

I intend to do the same too in the very near future...ceteris paribus.

Sarrouniya
|The Universe will correspond to the nature of your song ...
Kwanini
#12 Posted : Wednesday, July 22, 2009 12:57:00 PM

@mainat- well said. jenga rental hata kama ni mabati nusu. Kaa ndani. Hama,jenga yako hata kama ni dhahabu. While at it. Remember the kids will grow and leave ya. Kwa hivyo kumbuka size kazuri kaseo!!!

For i am the master and the captain of my fate !
"For i am the master and the captain of my fate"
Marty
#13 Posted : Thursday, July 23, 2009 4:54:00 AM

A very interesting topic. Most of us have been having that dilemma. My approach is similar to Warias. Buy a very nice plot in the neighbourhood of your choice now but for later development of your dream house. Revert back to business and do rentals.........while at it set aside some kidogo cash maybe from the rent and other sources and start developing the dream house.......complete a few rooms and ensure all services including water,elec and the like are in place,move in to save yourself from paying rent....and continue developing the dream hao pole pole.... as u invest more in rentals....

..wise as a serpent,humble as a dove
When I admire the wonder of a sunset or the beauty
of the moon, my soul expands in worship of the Creator.
BAAK
#14 Posted : Thursday, July 23, 2009 1:17:00 PM

From the posts below,the approach should differ from person to person,since our social,career and economic settings / issues are all different. But the key point that came up is that one can approach the issue either way and achieve the same results within the same timeframe.

However,it appears those who do rentals first are more confident of achieving results faster than those pressing for the other way?

One thing I feel is that once you do your own house,you may tend to become too comfortable and complacent and may not pursue investments vigorously like your other friend who is renting and doing rentals.

My take? If you start with your own home,you need to apply genius or so to achieve the same results as your other friend who started with rentals. What do others think?

As an Skerian,I acknowledge that I have benefited immensely from the info posted here by others. There4,I promise to assist others in the same way by responding to request for info,as long as am privileged in the subject issue..SK Pledge..
jaggernaut
#15 Posted : Sunday, October 25, 2009 12:06:00 PM

I have been looking for a plot to put up some flats but the cost of the land appears to be unrealistic e.g Kinoo 6m for 40x80,or 4m at Kasarani for the same. Where can one get a reasonably priced plot (in a middle income area) to put up flats.
jerry
#16 Posted : Sunday, October 25, 2009 12:55:00 PM

Welcome back @BAAK! I hear you when u say starting with a home wud make some1 too comfortable. Apart from that,the earlier u focus bizwise the beta. So I advise that u start with rentals while u r a tenant urself. U need that tenancy experience! Circumstances cud also dictate that u've ur own hau even in a place that is not ur choice. I had to construct a house v fast at my dad's shamba inorder to get owner occupier house allowance.

Crocodile tears: If you can't assist me when I'm alive en you attend my funeral.
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it's conformity.
Layman
#17 Posted : Monday, October 26, 2009 5:02:00 AM

What would be the cost of purchasing a three bedroom Mansionnette house in KomaRock Estate in Nairobi?

There's no hurry in Kenya!
jaggernaut
#18 Posted : Monday, March 08, 2010 3:11:52 PM

Layman wrote:
What would be the cost of purchasing a three bedroom Mansionnette house in KomaRock Estate in Nairobi?

There's no hurry in Kenya!

Any ideas?
wasee
#19 Posted : Tuesday, March 09, 2010 4:23:46 AM

The approach i would take is, for a start, stay in an economical rental house as i buy plots(3-4) with the savings. then start developing 1 plot. once 1 room is ready, move out of the rented house and stay in the 1 ka-room as i finish the rest. then i would sell 1 plot i had acquired earlier and use it to develop rental properties on the other plot and progress that way. i feel this is the safest/{not-so-risky} option plus you develop at your own pace.
www.eastafricanized.com
#20 Posted : Tuesday, March 09, 2010 3:36:48 PM

@WASEE i dont get you. why buy 3-4 plots? why not start as you say, a rented room, then buy a plot them instead of buying other 3 plots, i use the cash to start building? i thought this would help me finish sooner?for a list of rental rooms click here