wazua Sat, May 25, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Advice on how to sell matured eucalyptus Trees?
villageseer
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 14, 2011 12:47:04 PM

In spring of 2004, I planted more than 18,000 clones e-grandis eucalyptus seedlings in three parcels of the family land, around Aberdare range in Kandara District.

But due to the prevailing drought at that time, only around 10,000 seedlings survived and which now are healthy matured trees with an average base of 1.4'diameter and height of 70ft.

When we were planting these hybrid species of trees from KEFRI's Biotech Trees Project we were informed that we could fetch at least a minimum average of Ksh.10,000.00 per treated pole of either 10mm, 11mm or 12 mm.

I have also read some literatures of some trees growers getting an average of Ksh5,000 to 7,000 for untreated pole, where the buyer will only take that part of pole he require and leave the remaining part to the owner.

Could anyone advice me on how to get rid of this investment, since the bureucracy of Kenya Power & lighting Company just continues keeping those farmers with matured trees in darkness and yet its Board had by 2009 agreed to be buying from local forest growers?

Thanks

VillageSeer.
Lolest!
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 15, 2011 5:56:36 PM

See this thread.

http://www.wazua.co.ke/f...px?g=posts&m=180216

But also tell us the alternatives you got
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
kiriita
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 15, 2011 7:51:29 PM

@Seer, am aware that KPLC does buy local poles [as does the REA]. They however procure [by tender] for very large volumes and the poles must be treated to their required std. [there are also other specs as to species, age and of course length].

The usual suppliers are the likes of Kakuzi, Timsales and Muringa Holdings, among others, who operate wood treatment plants. Some of these buy the trees from tea estates and 'small scale' growers, treat them and sell on to KPLC/REA. You could google, contact & interest them in your rather sizable forest.

Hope this helps.
dken
#4 Posted : Sunday, July 31, 2011 1:27:51 AM

i've dealt with the pole business for a year now with a pal of mine who had a tender from REA and it ain't that easy as people think... last time i checked untreated poles delivered to the treatment yard were goin for an average of 3500 each. treated poles its a different story.. KPLC offers better prices per treated pole than REA tho' gettin an LPO or a tender from either of them is another issue... and that's where my pal can come in handy.. haha.. seriously tho' if you're interested hala... email: dken8@yahoo.com
Lolest!
#5 Posted : Tuesday, August 16, 2011 12:41:59 PM

@seer, how did it go?
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
villageseer
#6 Posted : Wednesday, August 17, 2011 11:51:39 AM

I'm still contemplating on what to do? Either turning them as charcoal and exporting it to Middle East - if only I could interest other private forest-growers to join me and we take a joint-venture in that direction or turning them to sawn-timber? But there is no way I will sell it for less than 5 thousand as it is in the farm.

The much tooted going offer of Ksh3,500 delivered at a treatment plant, while is generally known that the KPLC /REA will pay an average price of Ksh12,000 for a treated pole - Then the given offer of Ksh3,500 is one way of killing the investor and discouraging future investment by small-scale farmers in this field.

Seer
JkMwatha
#7 Posted : Wednesday, August 17, 2011 2:10:03 PM

villageseer wrote:
I'm still contemplating on what to do? Either turning them as charcoal and exporting it to Middle East - if only I could interest other private forest-growers to join me and we take a joint-venture in that direction or turning them to sawn-timber?....

Seer

You could interest me

Trees are the same age,.. fewer in number

What's your plan?
GGK
#8 Posted : Wednesday, August 17, 2011 2:35:06 PM

villageseer wrote:
I'm still contemplating on what to do? Either turning them as charcoal and exporting it to Middle East - if only I could interest other private forest-growers to join me and we take a joint-venture in that direction or turning them to sawn-timber?
Seer

You cannot get any charcoal from Eucalyptus. Timber might be a better idea
"..I am because we are. "― Ubuntu, Umtu,
milken
#9 Posted : Wednesday, August 17, 2011 2:41:50 PM

villageseer wrote:
I'm still contemplating on what to do? Either turning them as charcoal and exporting it to Middle East - if only I could interest other private forest-growers to join me and we take a joint-venture in that direction or turning them to sawn-timber?

Seer

Should you think in the highlighted direction, I can always buy the timber.
Itari muting'oe ihuragwo ngi ni Ngai
cmk
#10 Posted : Thursday, November 10, 2011 2:07:30 PM

GGK wrote:
villageseer wrote:
Seer

@ggk..you are not serious..you can even get charcoal from grevillea,avocado and many other soft trees..
Every man is guilty of all the good he didn't do-
Voltaire
GGK
#11 Posted : Thursday, November 10, 2011 5:14:07 PM

cmk wrote:
GGK wrote:
villageseer wrote:
Seer

@ggk..you are not serious..you can even get charcoal from grevillea,avocado and many other soft trees..

@cmk......have you ever tried? Eucalyptus will not give you any charcoal ...You cant.
Timber any time
"..I am because we are. "― Ubuntu, Umtu,
smallfama
#12 Posted : Friday, July 13, 2012 10:40:11 AM

On the same note, anyone with info on how KPLC disposes its old/used poles? Am interested in buying them.
kabestemista
#13 Posted : Tuesday, September 18, 2012 11:26:43 PM

Greetings Wazuans,
I have been browsing the forum from the 'window' for afew years and have learnt quite abit. In the spirit of sharing and receiving ideas I have a couple of hundreds of mahogany, podo and acacia seedlings growing on a 3/4 acre that need to be disposed off. we want to use the land for farming. the intial idea was a seedling farm but it didnt quite take off.

Looking for someone to buy the lot. I know mahogany is valuable once mature but i know jack about podo. the little i know about acacia is that giraffes love their leaves...

if you know more about these trees feel free to share..