wazua Sat, May 4, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Acer aspire a 110
murenj
#1 Posted : Saturday, March 28, 2009 5:59:00 AM

I have seen this mini note book being advertised.is it a good buy?

The cunning of the Buffalo
mtotana
#2 Posted : Saturday, March 28, 2009 6:08:00 AM

My dear the laptop runs on an acer operating sytem and open office. Open office is an open source software that perform same oparations as microsoft office. Unfortunetely,microsoft office is not compatible with open office (Bill Gates way of protecting his business). This means documents prepared with your laptop will need to be converted before they are shared with anyone using microsoft office (the majority). This is not a serious problem anyway,the only bit I dislike about this laptop is the size of its storage. 8 GB,my dear is too small. Go for it if you'll not be saving multimedia files!!!!
Njunge
#3 Posted : Saturday, March 28, 2009 6:27:00 AM

@Mtotana,

Price?...

Guka wa bijuti...
Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
mtotana
#4 Posted : Saturday, March 28, 2009 6:38:00 AM

@Njun'ge

It's going for 19k.
bird_man
#5 Posted : Saturday, March 28, 2009 8:05:00 AM

I would not advice anyone to buy that thing. 8gb storage is the size of my flash disk!If you intend to save any music or video file then you will be in trouble.

Its only good for people whose only use for it will be surfing the net.....and sharing the documents they write with other open office users ....(how many do you know?).......Try go for those ones costing around 36k if you really gotta be cheap.Otherwise a good laptop in Kenya today that will be in use for the next 4yrs should cost 42k onwards.

The course of the world is changed by those who dare dream!
Formally employed people often live their employers' dream & forget about their own.
Braza
#6 Posted : Saturday, March 28, 2009 8:06:00 AM

Mtotana,Two questions.

1. Can one format the HD and install Win and office as the OS.

2. Is it compatible to external Hard disks?

Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago.
Admin, Luckily; age will one day transform me into an Elder.
murenj
#7 Posted : Saturday, March 28, 2009 8:18:00 AM

this thing is mind boggling. Can the memory be expanded via Usb port

mtotana
#8 Posted : Saturday, March 28, 2009 9:43:00 AM

@Braza

To install windows xp you need atleast 1.5GB while office 2003 requires 400mb. I don't know whether you can format it's hard disk but I want to think its possible. otherwise,I still insist its not the best laptop unless you only need it for browsing. Let's research on the USB interface hard disk expansion.

Ps. Some operating systems will not allow you to use majority of programs such as players other than their defaults. Be warned!!
iKenya
#9 Posted : Saturday, March 28, 2009 11:07:00 AM

Technically,this is not a notebook but a netbook. The difference here is that a netbook is primarily used to do online work hence the limited specifications and storage space. It is in the same league as the asus eeepc,all originating from the need to buy/create the sub $100 laptop project (One Laptop Per Child-OLPC. Upgrading this may not be an option since it utilizes SSD storage as opposed to HDD (Flash storage as opposed to hard disc),SSD is quite expensive since it’s a 'new' technology. It good for students and pple who want a tool to access the net and not much more,as to installing Windows and the rest,you can get away with XP or a linux,lakini Vista,hauwesmake!

Peni Mbili Zangu..
Quote:
Buy when there's blood in the streets, even if the blood is your own...
iMANI
#10 Posted : Saturday, March 28, 2009 4:39:00 PM

@ mtotana
Documents prepared with open office can still be opened with ms office. all you have to do is while saving choose the extension (i.e .doc,.xls) which you want. in fact open office sounds much better as it can save to more than 10 diff formats to as far back as office 95 compatibility.

@ murenj
as for the laptop i'd rather you top up another 19K and get yourself a better one since the specs for this may be too low for most work
Life and beer are very similar........chill for best results.

murenj
#11 Posted : Sunday, March 29, 2009 3:38:00 AM

I am informed that this system needs no anti virus.

tony stark
#12 Posted : Monday, March 30, 2009 3:35:00 PM

The reason it doesnt require an antivirus is because it is running on linux. This lap top is only for browsing and working on documents. media files will overload its system.

SK A.L.U.M.N.I (Alcoholic Liason and Undergarments Manager of Nakedness Internationally)
chi20
#13 Posted : Tuesday, March 31, 2009 10:04:00 AM

made to understand that the mini netbook can be upgraded,in terms of capacity to 1080 and coversion to windows operating systems at only 5k.

mwana wa kahii. . . . .