wazua Wed, Sep 25, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages12>
KRA delay in issuing logbooks
jimmy1
#1 Posted : Friday, August 03, 2012 1:05:10 PM

Since the beginning of july 2012 KRA has not been printing logbooks, the ridiculous reason being that they don't have papers to print the logbooks. The lack of logbooks has really inconvenienced people in the motor vehicle sales business because very few customers will buy a vehicle without a logbook. Who has a clue on when the papers/books for printing logbooks will be available?
chiaroscuro
#2 Posted : Friday, August 03, 2012 2:13:12 PM

Truly ridiculous and unacceptable!

The registrar should fired and banned from ever holding any office again - public or private!

How can there be a shortage of paper to print a one-page document that costs Sh10,000 on average?

Surely it isn't a lack of money!

Therefore it is due to poor planning, otherwise known as INCOMPETENCE!
premio
#3 Posted : Friday, August 03, 2012 8:06:01 PM

And we think we will compete with Rwanda where things are happening so fast. 80% of most cars purchases are financed and no financier will go ahead without copy of logbook its very bad got a car that has a client but i guess her patience has run out
sizzla
#4 Posted : Monday, August 06, 2012 8:00:52 AM

First off, the Registrar IS NOT responsible for supply of logbooks. That is purely a function of the KRA procurement department. The issue at hand is that there was supposed to be a new supplier in the new financial year (July) so the previous contract was terminated in June 2012.

However the supplier started making excuses saying they were not ready hence KRA had no option but to go back to the previous printer (Madras) who of course doubled the cost hence the current stalemate. It purely a logistical obstacle and with the stringent government procurement process it is bound to take a while longer....
Iganamagana
#5 Posted : Monday, August 06, 2012 8:20:51 AM

sizzla wrote:
First off, the Registrar IS NOT responsible for supply of logbooks. That is purely a function of the KRA procurement department. The issue at hand is that there was supposed to be a new supplier in the new financial year (July) so the previous contract was terminated in June 2012.

However the supplier started making excuses saying they were not ready hence KRA had no option but to go back to the previous printer (Madras) who of course doubled the cost hence the current stalemate. It purely a logistical obstacle and with the stringent government procurement process it is bound to take a while longer....

Why go back to Madras who are India based? It is like exporting jobs that we really need around here. This job can be done by local security printers like Kalzmart and Systemedia. I think even the Government Press can do it but you need to wake them up from their sleep given the fact that they are behind the constant shortage of Driving Licenses at KRA. I do not want to mention De La Rue rest someone suggests that I be banned from ever posting here.
nakujua
#6 Posted : Monday, August 06, 2012 10:02:21 AM

how mediocre can we get, what's the complexity in printing a single page.
chiaroscuro
#7 Posted : Monday, August 06, 2012 12:17:52 PM

sizzla wrote:

This is escapism! Reminds me of the days when Moi used to lay the blame for government ineffectiveness on "watumishi wa serikali"

Obviously, the ultimate responsibility lies with the Registrar. He should have coordinated with the procurement dept to ensure that there is no delay.

Furthermore, I am certain the the Registrar, as the end-user of the books, must have been involved in the procurement process - especially the technical evaluation of the bidders. Thus that story about an incompetent supplier winning the tender falls squarely on the Registrar's desk!

He can't run away from that responsibility!
chiaroscuro
#8 Posted : Monday, August 06, 2012 12:25:45 PM

nakujua wrote:
how mediocre can we get, what's the complexity in printing a single page.

Come to think of it; that log book is a useless meaningless piece of paper - just like a title deed.

Having one does not prove that you own anything! That is why when we buy/sell cars and lands, we first conduct a search of records at the respective registries...

The registrar should simply do away with "security printed" log books because the offer no security whatsoever!

If I were him, I'd simply print the car details on ordinary paper with a clear disclaimer that the details MUST be confirmed at the registry before transfer of the vehicle.

sizzla
#9 Posted : Monday, August 06, 2012 1:13:20 PM

@chiaroscuro, FYI the Registrar is not employed by KRA hence cannot liaise with procurement. He may be involved in technical evaluations et al but that's as far as his influence can go...the rest is in the docket in Njiraini and his commissioners.

On the point about the piece of paper i have to admit you are absolutely right, just a waste of taxpayers' money.
chiaroscuro
#10 Posted : Monday, August 06, 2012 1:43:11 PM

sizzla wrote:
@chiaroscuro, FYI the Registrar is not employed by KRA hence cannot liaise with procurement. He may be involved in technical evaluations et al but that's as far as his influence can go...the rest is in the docket in Njiraini and his commissioners.

On the point about the piece of paper i have to admit you are absolutely right, just a waste of taxpayers' money.

This RINK appears to disagree with you: http://www.kra.go.ke/ind...ad-transport-department

It says that there is a Commissioner for Road Transport under whose docket falls registration of motor vehicles.

Actually; now I wish to change my demand: it is Mr. Francis Meja, Commissioner for Road Transport who should be shown the door for incompetence!
sizzla
#11 Posted : Monday, August 06, 2012 1:58:32 PM

Get your facts right. The website was referring to Ole Kirgotty who was both the Registrar and Commissioner of Motor Vehicles and consequently drew two salaries from both KRA and MoT.

However the current Registrar Ole Meja is Registrar ONLY and the post of Commissioner of Motor Vehicles was done away with to be replaced with Commissioner for Support Services under whose docket Road Transport Department falls.
chiaroscuro
#12 Posted : Monday, August 06, 2012 2:20:18 PM

sizzla wrote:
Get your facts right. The website was referring to Ole Kirgotty who was both the Registrar and Commissioner of Motor Vehicles and consequently drew two salaries from both KRA and MoT.

However the current Registrar Ole Meja is Registrar ONLY and the post of Commissioner of Motor Vehicles was done away with to be replaced with Commissioner for Support Services under whose docket Road Transport Department falls.

Why are you speaking in the past?

Here is the full text from the PRESENT website:

The Department is charged with the responsibility of collecting and accounting for all revenue under the Acts Cap. 403 and Cap 404 and ensuring the transmission of the same to the Exchequer. The department has offices in 17 KRA stations, and its services are also being rendered in a number of District Commissioner's offices.

The Road Transport Department is service-oriented, and is responsible for:

Registration of Motor Vehicles
Licensing of Motor Vehicles and drivers
Management and safe keeping of vehicle and driver records
Promoting road safety

Contacts:

Mr. Francis Meja, Commissioner for Road Transport

Times Towers, 8th floor,
Haille Selassie Avenue.
P. O. Box 30440-00100.
NAIROBI.
E-Mail: Registrar.MV@Kra.go.ke Telephone: 254-20-310900 Ext. 7110; Facsimile: 254-20-251025
sizzla
#13 Posted : Monday, August 06, 2012 2:34:40 PM

Admittedly the website is referring to a non-existence post. You can simply call the listed line and ask for Commissioner for Road Transport and then tell me the response you get...
sizzla
#14 Posted : Monday, August 06, 2012 2:46:12 PM

@chiaroscuro just got off the phone with the guys at KRA. The 'error has been amended appropriately on the website and they 'apologise for any misleading information that may have been passed onto the taxpayers'... smile
chiaroscuro
#15 Posted : Monday, August 06, 2012 4:28:15 PM

@Sizzla; The website does NOT say anywhere that the Registrar of Motor Vehicle is not an employee of KRA as you asserted earlier.

It lists that office as one of KRA's departments. Therefore, if there is a shortage of logbooks, taxpayers can only put the blame on the Registrar. Telling us about the procurement processes is neither here nor there. Ultimately, the public face of Motor Vehicle registration is Mr. Meja and he is the one to take responsibility - he should be shown the door for incompetence.
sizzla
#16 Posted : Monday, August 06, 2012 4:33:10 PM

My friend, under Traffic Act Cap 403 the Registrar is an employee of Ministry of Transport (MoT). Fanya homework...
sizzla
#17 Posted : Monday, August 06, 2012 4:35:29 PM

But that is besides the point because i agree that it is incompetent for KRA to run out of logbooks. Unfortunately, the Registrar is just a political appointee and wields little influence over the 'junior' officers in KRA. Sad but true...
chiaroscuro
#18 Posted : Tuesday, August 07, 2012 8:49:16 AM

sizzla wrote:
My friend, under Traffic Act Cap 403 the Registrar is an employee of Ministry of Transport (MoT). Fanya homework...

You are missing my point: as an ordinary citizen, it is unreasonable to expect that I will go check the Act of Parliament to verify the information that is posted on the website of a public institution.

The fact that the Registrar of Motor vehicles is listed as a department of KRA implies to the public that that this office falls under KRA. If this is not the case, then the KRA should very clearly indicate that this is not their office and they only offer it administrative support.

sizzla wrote:
But that is besides the point because i agree that it is incompetent for KRA to run out of logbooks. Unfortunately, the Registrar is just a political appointee and wields little influence over the 'junior' officers in KRA. Sad but true...

It is good that we agree on the incompetence part.

However, if I was given an office where I did not have authority over the supply of a crucial item, then I would not accept the job.

BTW: What do mean by "political appointee"
sizzla
#19 Posted : Tuesday, August 07, 2012 9:24:07 AM

Morning, actually even though Registrar of Motor Vehicles is listed as a department, it is actually known as Road Transport Department. And being the informed citizen you are you should be well aware that not all information posted on websites of public institutions is correct. Case in point, i vaguely remember when the City Hall website indicated a different mayor for years....

Anyway, we all know that its quite rare for Kenyans to turn down lucrative jobs even if their powers are significantly 'trimmed'. In fact the current Registrar occupies the TLB chairman's office since the KRA management deemed it fit to give the old office to another Commissioner rather than an 'outsider'. Just goes to show how petty government officers can be...

Lastly, i mean "political appointee" because the current Registrar was actually handpicked by Kimunya from his previous job at Equity. There was no job advert placed in the dailies nor were there any interviews conducted.
nakujua
#20 Posted : Tuesday, August 07, 2012 10:27:59 AM

Imagine if at equity he failed to oversee the printing of atm cards because of lack of plastic cards - he would have been fired immediately.