wazua Mon, Sep 23, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages123>
help pls car steering wheel
abdulrahman
#1 Posted : Monday, June 11, 2012 5:42:20 PM

saidia tafadhali mambo ya steering wheel ya gari

Today morning when getting my car from parking, I realised that the steering wheel was very stiff or difficult to move. Turning left of right required muscles. I immediately checked the ATF fluid and coz it wasnt't dry, I added to full. The problem didnt go and drove to work with the same problem.

I have consulted my two mechanics and 2 collegues at work and all have different views when they have seen the vehicle.

-1st mech said we change the pump after brief diagnosis.
-2nd Mech said could be blockage of the supply from the cartilage coz when you open the lid of the container that has the fluid and turn the steering left to right vigourously, the fluid is ejected out or moves up and down.
-3rd person who is a driver in our company said I check at the ball joints, and where steering connects the wheels.
-4th person, a friend said it could be the pump that has a problem.

What could be the problem here. Kind Regards,
Wendz
#2 Posted : Monday, June 11, 2012 5:45:35 PM

abdulrahman wrote:

Today morning when getting my car from parking, I realised that the steering wheel was very stiff or difficult to move. Turning left of right required muscles. I immediately checked the ATF fluid and coz it wasnt't dry, I added to full. The problem didnt go and drove to work with the same problem.

I have consulted my two mechanics and 2 collegues at work and all have different views when they have seen the vehicle.

-2nd Mech said could be blockage of the supply from the cartilage coz when you open the lid of the container that has the fluid and turn the steering left to right vigourously, the fluid is ejected out or moves up and down.
-3rd person who is a driver in our company said I check at the ball joints, and where steering connects the wheels.

You have asked 4 people and got 4 different answers... trust me, by the time you are done with this thread, you'll be checking the treading on the wheels as your 374th possible problem..... Good luck all the same... i cant be of help - definitely!
AlphDoti
#3 Posted : Monday, June 11, 2012 5:57:25 PM

Just to be safe and not waste money, do not buy anything until you're sure what it is.
Once my x-mechanic made me spend so much one time when my car had noisy ride on bumpy road. Mara steering rack.. I went bought. Mara shocks... I went and bought. When next he said "mara blah blah..." I stopped him and told him thanks for his trial and error solutions. He never saw me again!

The next mechanic, the one I have to date, said he has to start from the basics: open the wheels, check everything. And for sure, they the culprits were easy identified, tie rod ends were loose due to wear and dangling like mifupa isiyo na nyama.
abdulrahman
#4 Posted : Monday, June 11, 2012 6:04:28 PM

AlphDoti wrote:
Just to be safe and not waste money, do not buy anything until you're sure what it is.
Once my x-mechanic made me spend so much one time when my car had noisy ride on bumpy road. Mara steering rack.. I went bought. Mara shocks... I went and bought. When next he said "mara blah blah..." I stopped him and told him thanks for his trial and error solutions. He never saw me again!

The next mechanic, the one I have to date, said he has to start from the basics: open the wheels, check everything. And for sure, they the culprits were easy identified, tie rod ends were loose due to wear and dangling like mifupa isiyo na nyama.

You are so right. Thats why I need another opinion before these people open up my car. Infact, the 1st mechanic after diagnosing the problem told me its an easy thing to change and the cost of a pump is 8.5k and he said he has it. I smelled a rat first.
kamundu
#5 Posted : Monday, June 11, 2012 6:06:59 PM

Most common problem, it's happened to me twice is when the belt between the alternator, and power steering katikas. It costs 1k to fix. Just check. If it's not that it's something else
Peace in our Homeland.
abdulrahman
#6 Posted : Monday, June 11, 2012 6:14:08 PM

kamundu wrote:
Most common problem, it's happened to me twice is when the belt between the alternator, and power steering katikas. It costs 1k to fix. Just check. If it's not that it's something else

The belt is intact.
Impunity
#7 Posted : Monday, June 11, 2012 6:20:17 PM

abdulrahman wrote:
kamundu wrote:

The belt is intact.

That belt is roose and slides over the pump's pulley.
Portfolio: Sold
You know you've made it when you get a parking space for your yatcht.

githundi
#8 Posted : Monday, June 11, 2012 7:54:42 PM

Am amateur on this and am facing such a dillema. I woke one day and my car could not start on the first try, later i also found out that breaking is hard until the car starts. Surprisingly the car only starts on the second try( not the first, neither the third). It can only start on the first try if the engine has not been running for long. Anybody who has had such an experience?, or what is it?. Am afraid the mechanics can misdiagonise and make other problems as my car has been running well.
Democracy does not belong to the dead
harrydre
#9 Posted : Monday, June 11, 2012 10:12:20 PM

abdulrahman wrote:

Most likely the issue could be around the pump. If yesterday the car run smoothly, then I doubt it's the ball joints those you would have noted earlier and they would be gradual not sudden...check the pump, steering fluid and all the parts that work together with that pump.
i.am.back!!!!
harrydre
#10 Posted : Monday, June 11, 2012 10:19:15 PM

githundi wrote:
Am amateur on this and am facing such a dillema. I woke one day and my car could not start on the first try, later i also found out that breaking is hard until the car starts. Surprisingly the car only starts on the second try( not the first, neither the third). It can only start on the first try if the engine has not been running for long. Anybody who has had such an experience?, or what is it?. Am afraid the mechanics can misdiagonise and make other problems as my car has been running well.

On the start part, my guess is the battery terminals are loose or dirty or the battery is dying. Check those to ensure they are well cleaned and tight grip and battery is good. if that does not sort the issue, then the distributor needs to be well tuned.

on the breaking part, most cars that have a central control unit (which mechs refer to as Computer) need the car "on" or engine running for all systems to work perfectly.
i.am.back!!!!
dnn
#11 Posted : Monday, June 11, 2012 10:59:26 PM

githundi wrote:

so if it only starts on the 2nd try, how do u know it can't start on the third?
McReggae
#12 Posted : Monday, June 11, 2012 11:09:24 PM

Did you jump start the car? One of the IC's could be gone, happened to be one day after jump starting and the trerminals were connected wrongly, costed be the IC costed me 250/= and fixed maself!!!
..."Wewe ni mtu mdogo sana....na mwenye amekuandika pia ni mtu mdogo sana!".
abdulrahman
#13 Posted : Tuesday, June 12, 2012 8:48:56 AM

harrydre wrote:
abdulrahman wrote:

Most likely the issue could be around the pump. If yesterday the car run smoothly, then I doubt it's the ball joints those you would have noted earlier and they would be gradual not sudden...check the pump, steering fluid and all the parts that work together with that pump.

am still driving it though with very difficult to twist steering wheel. I want to have it checked again.If its pump, where can I get a good one not fake and not toyota kenya coz of cost.
What could be the cost.
My car engine is 4A
githundi
#14 Posted : Tuesday, June 12, 2012 8:51:02 AM

McReggae wrote:
Did you jump start the car? One of the IC's could be gone, happened to be one day after jump starting and the trerminals were connected wrongly, costed be the IC costed me 250/= and fixed maself!!!

@ mcreggae, possibly, i had jumpstarted the car two days earlier as i had forgotten to turn off the headlights, i'll check. @ Harry dre, i have checked the battery and it terminals and they are okay. Thanks for your advise guys.
githundi
#15 Posted : Tuesday, June 12, 2012 8:56:31 AM

McReggae wrote:

On another note, hii ic ni nini?
woodpecker
#16 Posted : Tuesday, June 12, 2012 10:07:51 AM

abdulrahman wrote:

am still driving it though with very difficult to twist steering wheel. I want to have it checked again.If its pump, where can I get a good one not fake and not toyota kenya coz of cost.
What could be the cost.
My car engine is 4A

As you seek solutions for the above, you need to get this car off the road till you are sorted. Imagine if you were required to quickly swerve to avoid hitting someone/thing and it jams, would you blame yourself or the car once damage is done?

"jmt..."
Do not let your hearts be troubled, trust in God
Njung'e
#17 Posted : Tuesday, June 12, 2012 11:32:25 AM

@Abdi,

It could be steering column bearings and housings have given way.

@Githundi,

Cold start problems?....Cold start sensor.
Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
FancyFace
#18 Posted : Tuesday, June 12, 2012 11:33:44 AM

very valuable info here....mmhh

Problems can get out of proportion, and not only in the wee small hours. Don't let the problems eclipse the Master. Let the Master eclipse the problems.
Impunity
#19 Posted : Tuesday, June 12, 2012 11:37:14 AM

woodpecker wrote:
abdulrahman wrote:

What could be the cost.
My car engine is 4A

As you seek solutions for the above, you need to get this car off the road till you are sorted. Imagine if you were required to quickly swerve to avoid hitting someone/thing and it jams, would you blame yourself or the car once damage is done?

"jmt..."

@pecker, do you know the speed he is doing? The guy could be doing 10km/h, at that speed you need NOT to swerve, you just hit the brakes hard.

Na sasa huyu "JMT" ndio sensor gani kwa gari?

And someone above there is asking about IC, this "Integrated Circuit" just call it a miniature computer.Sad
Portfolio: Sold
You know you've made it when you get a parking space for your yatcht.

abdulrahman
#20 Posted : Tuesday, June 12, 2012 11:39:01 AM

Njung'e wrote:
@Abdi,

It could be steering column bearings and housings have given way.

@Githundi,

Cold start problems?....Cold start sensor.

Thanks @ guka,
I will check that with a mech so that we get to the problem.