wazua Fri, May 24, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages<12
NMG Closes 'Daily Metro' is BD next?
kizee
#21 Posted : Thursday, April 23, 2009 1:40:00 PM

i think the journalists were fresh from uni...
Obi 1 Kanobi
#22 Posted : Thursday, April 23, 2009 10:59:00 PM

The NMG has alot of work to do especially on the quality of their content.

I am not surprised at the failure of DM. I think kenyans ae just being prudent and making sure they get their news from different media houses.

Having said that,NMG's business editors have always struggled,Financial standard kicks Smart Company's burt every week. There is alot of business content to cover in Kenya/East Africa why they don't get adventurous with their resources is beyond me.

@Mukiha how about you add,step 3;. with every purchase of the Nation newspapers by large institutions where there is alot of public traffic (Hospitals,Universities,etc.) You throw in free copies of BD,effect is it increases visibility,someone is bound to get hooked.

BTW. This weeks first NMG's coverage of Mungiki was done by foreigners. Picture by Reuters,story by AP. The same story word for word was in Wall Street Journal Europe edition. Very disappointing.

I guess if you can't win with facts,you can always pen bile-laced,xenophobic rants to distract everyone.
"The purpose of bureaucracy is to compensate for incompetence and lack of discipline." James Collins
Mainat
#23 Posted : Friday, April 24, 2009 3:59:00 AM

BDA just lacks financial analysts or economists. Just being a trained journalist is not enough to write a financial newspaper.

www.mjengakenya.blogspot.com
Sehemu ndio nyumba
eli
#24 Posted : Friday, April 24, 2009 5:32:00 AM

@ xtina,

You are welcome,I moved out of the media house and now on my own biz,Doxa Interactive Studio,www.thedoxa.net

I agree,Daily Metro was founded on the wrong reasons! They wanted to finish Nairobi Star,but wallaaah,the star keeps shining!

But you shall remember the LORD your God,for it is He who is giving you power to make wealth,that He may confirm His covenant which He swore to your fathers,as it is this day. Deu 8:18
the sage
#25 Posted : Friday, April 24, 2009 6:57:00 AM

Obi 1 Kanobi-explain how Reuters and WSJ can arrive at the scene do all that work when there is a Nation Nyeri burueau?

Also,how do foreign papers have better sources; mungiks,cops and locals than our very own people.

Let me explain how all those foreign agencies got the news.

WSJ,NY Times,LA Times,Wasshington post all have a deal with NMG. They buy articles from each other or at times just barter trade. If WSJ did the story and NMG reprinted without permission and acknowldging they would be sued for millions($).

I am well versed with the operations and there are many articles that appear in all those foreign papers done by NMG. It is how the industry works.
sukuma
#26 Posted : Friday, April 24, 2009 8:02:00 AM

So where does the Nation media group make their money from? Actually there are only two star cash cows at the moment. Namely the flagship Daily Nation newspaper and the Nation courier service. Interestingly the launching of the courier service was a brilliant way to pay for the mounting costs of circulating the newspaper while earning extra revenue. Without these two cash cows the nation would be very much a struggling ship. Still increasing competition looms in the horizon coupled with some very serious strategic decisions made by the management in the run up to the 2007 general elections. Taking all this into consideration the daily metro may be only the first casualty in a list that will unfold in the weeks and months to come.

sk lady
nanfor
#27 Posted : Friday, April 24, 2009 8:20:00 AM

I'm I the only one who gets my business news from K24? Very interesting entreprenueral stories including how to make my own candle with fresh fry. A jiko that uses only 3 sticks and lasts forever.

This is the reason you buy business newspapers. Not to be told how the economy is doing badly on information that you copy from SK.

I propose to Nation to employ me. :)

I suggest that if anyone is selling a business paper for 50bob,they had better have information I don't have.
sukuma
#28 Posted : Friday, April 24, 2009 8:34:00 AM

@nanfor
i like your ego

Now with dwindling resources,second in the list is the EastAfrican a regional newspaper launched on the assumption that regional integration would have moved much faster than it has to date. This prestigious and excellent publication has never made a dime since inception. One of the reasons being it&rsquo;s unnecessarily high overheads where huge bureau offices have been established in neighbouring Tanzania and Uganda where smaller leaner set-ups would have still produced the desired results more so in this age of the World Wide Web where communication costs have come down considerably.

Another probable casualty is the recently launched Business Daily. Mercifully the overheads for that one are pretty small and it can probably be sustained for some time to come.

Interestingly even the Nation&rsquo;s first ever title Taifa Leo is struggling but for reasons beyond anybody&rsquo;s control. Apparently the new generation of Kenyans have shunned Kiswahili which was the most popular communication language in the country for many years. This is what led to the huge popularity of the KBC National Kiswahili service over the English General Service radio through the 60s,70s and 80s.

sk lady
aemathenge
#29 Posted : Friday, April 24, 2009 11:06:00 AM

I get the impression from the posts on this thread that NMG is not doing well but I stand to be corrected. Yet,the share is 1.90 up on the live feed tape as at 14:02. So,should I sell my NMG shares,hold or buy more?

Live hard,die hard.
Obi 1 Kanobi
#30 Posted : Friday, April 24, 2009 12:06:00 PM

@Sage

I know what I am talking about. I read the nation and the picture had a signature 'Pictures by reuters' the short story under the picture also had the caption by AP.

This was in the nation newspaper online edition.

WSJ had the exact similar story but no picture.

I would expect them to operate the way you described,but wait a minute,why does the nation story refer to a different source.

I guess if you can't win with facts,you can always pen bile-laced,xenophobic rants to distract everyone.
"The purpose of bureaucracy is to compensate for incompetence and lack of discipline." James Collins
mukiha
#31 Posted : Monday, April 27, 2009 6:39:00 AM

@Ob1 & @Sage:

A Kenyan freelancer based in Nyeri writes the story and takes the pictures. He sells it to Reuters [who pay much better than NMG]. NMG's staff reporters file their stories as well but they are not as good as the freelancer's. NMG therefore abandons it's own staff reporters and goes with the Reuters story plus picture...but the syndication contract clearly stipulates that the use must acknowledge Reuters as the source.

....that's a common phenomenon
Nothing is real unless it can be named; nothing has value unless it can be sold; money is worthless unless you spend it.
gashoroge
#32 Posted : Monday, April 27, 2009 8:38:00 AM

NMG loosing streak continues.The only programme with a massive following,churchill live has ended its first season and it is highly unlikely that it will return to NTV.Radio africa group is starting an entertainment cum sports TV channel called Kiss TV very soon and churchill is the head of programming.Churchil live is the show that will be used to launch the station and popularise it just like redykyulas did to the then Nation TV....so papa shirandula gets a life line here!......myay NTV should console themselves with a re launch of eric omondis pathetic...somewhere in africa.

lets talk about anything!
gashoroge
#33 Posted : Monday, April 27, 2009 8:53:00 AM

churchill live is outa NTV as from may!

lets talk about anything!
McReggae
#34 Posted : Monday, April 27, 2009 2:12:00 PM

Mukiha,

You said somewhere that you got a column you write with BD (or which paper was it?)......you doing anything to improve/sustain it's production!!!!

Make money.....then you will enjoy all the fine things in life!!!
..."Wewe ni mtu mdogo sana....na mwenye amekuandika pia ni mtu mdogo sana!".
Layman
#35 Posted : Wednesday, April 29, 2009 11:27:00 AM

what is this churchil live?

The future is already here!
McReggae
#36 Posted : Wednesday, April 29, 2009 2:23:00 PM

layman........funda wewe!!!

move
#37 Posted : Wednesday, April 29, 2009 2:38:00 PM

What if the NMG would consider converting the BD to a weekly publication.
This strategy will reduce costs since they will not need all the manpower they currently have.Secondly,they can invest more time in research and avoid the nonsense of copy and paste and provide the readership with a more quality publication.

my two cents.
Expanding the pie
aemathenge
#38 Posted : Sunday, May 03, 2009 11:45:00 AM

Now the best part of The Sunday Nation,The New York Times extracts are no longer there. It always made my Sunday to be able to compare first class journalism with miserable english and third rate journalism. What essentially had been the arrangement between the Sunday Nation and the The New York Times? Who was paying who in this arrangement?

Live hard,die hard.
Layman
#39 Posted : Tuesday, May 05, 2009 11:02:00 AM

I saw the insert last sunday,ama what are you asking?

The future is already here!
McReggae
#40 Posted : Tuesday, May 05, 2009 11:55:00 AM

mathenge....wewe uligongwa basi,the insert was there!!!