wazua Tue, Sep 24, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages12>
Serviceble car battery-is it dead?
ndume
#1 Posted : Monday, March 05, 2012 3:56:56 PM

Hi all,

Having problems with my car battery -requiring jump starting every time the car remains still for more than 5 hrs.

Was previously ok(could leave the car unattended for 3 days and still start) until i added distilled water during my routine car servicing over the weekend.

Am not sure whether is wiring problem that is making the battery discharge or the battery is on its death bed

Anybody know where i can have it checked b4 i can spend 7k on a new one - i have heard that it is possible to evaluate the electrolyte levels/composition to determine if the battery solution is ok
Blackberry
#2 Posted : Monday, March 05, 2012 4:43:03 PM

just buy a new Battery save yourselve a bigger headache not so long after the 'battery service'

Opinion is free, truth is sacred.

Euge
#3 Posted : Monday, March 05, 2012 4:50:05 PM

You cant panel beat a battery. Just buy another one.
Lord, thank you!
Spend.thrift
#4 Posted : Monday, March 05, 2012 4:53:24 PM

ndume wrote:
Hi all,

Having problems with my car battery -requiring jump starting every time the car remains still for more than 5 hrs.

Was previously ok(could leave the car unattended for 3 days and still start) until i added distilled water during my routine car servicing over the weekend.

Am not sure whether is wiring problem that is making the battery discharge or the battery is on its death bed

Anybody know where i can have it checked b4 i can spend 7k on a new one - i have heard that it is possible to evaluate the electrolyte levels/composition to determine if the battery solution is ok

Servicing a car battery is a zero sum effort. You njust mbuy another one. Na utafute ile mandainance-free ya ngileen
Impunity
#5 Posted : Monday, March 05, 2012 5:54:50 PM

Take it Chloride centre off entreprise road for a test.
If it fails, they offer to buy the ndead mbatari plus offer a new one at a discount!

Caveat: Your batt must be a Chloride exide batt.
Portfolio: Sold
You know you've made it when you get a parking space for your yatcht.

ndume
#6 Posted : Monday, March 05, 2012 7:32:51 PM

Thanks all, Looks like i will be shopping

Anyone know where i can get a good deal on a maintenance free battery (size- standard saloon car, thinking of Nakumatt but am thinking there may be other dealers with better prices in the market.

kindly requesting for suggestions for models/brand names that people have had experience of and can vet for their reliability, please include prices if u can
Gordon Gekko
#7 Posted : Monday, March 05, 2012 9:36:42 PM

Some basics before you buy a new battery.

How long have you had the battery? A well looked after battery should last 3 - 4 years.

Have you looked after the battery well? A well looked after one is checked and topped up (if maintenance type every two weeks with distilled water ONLY).

Are the leads clean and covered with vaseline or have those white sediments formed on them?

If all above are in order, something is draining it, usual culprit is the alarm system.

Did the battery come with a warranty when bought or was it one of those funny unpronouncible names from that country C***a?
Magigi
#8 Posted : Monday, March 05, 2012 9:47:17 PM

Spend.thrift wrote:
ndume wrote:
Hi all,

Servicing a car mbattery is a zero sum effort. You njust mbuy another one. Na utafute ile mandainance-free ya ngileen

Mbloo...I thought those mbatteries are no longer being manufactured!!! Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
theking
#9 Posted : Tuesday, March 06, 2012 9:14:41 AM

just buy a service free battery. Bought mine from a tyre shops along University Way, can't quite remember the name (firestone or sth). they give a 1yr warranty. bought more than a yr ago at 5,500/=. Quite good,doesn't form those acid things so doesnt need cleaning.
mmarto
#10 Posted : Tuesday, March 06, 2012 9:20:11 AM

@Ndume, my battery run dry over the weekend and I did not waste time on whether it is indeed dead or not, just bought myself a new one. Incidentally everyone has his/her opinion whwther you should go for maintenance free or not. I bought maintenance one(chloride) coz its cheaper and life expectancy is almost same to the maint free type. What they call maintenance is checking, and if necessary topping up with distilled water every 4-6 months. This can be done at the same time when you service the car and so its not something that you yourself have to do. Nway you can get genuine chloride outside of Nakumat. it will be cheaper. I heared many autopart dealers recommend a type from korea called KV. It must be a good type having been tested extensively by mathrees who are satisfied with it.
The only time you should be looking down on others is when you are helping them up.
bwenyenye
#11 Posted : Tuesday, March 06, 2012 12:07:04 PM

How do you put Car battery and Nakumatt Together......Pray Pray Pray

Now the best battery guys I know are Chloride Exide ( Industrial Area) and they will test yours and give you the correct battery and advice for your car( Not all cars use the same battery specifications). They still give you a warranty.

As regards whether to take maintenance free or not,it really depends on how often you use your car! kama ni gari ya everyday use, then the ordinary one is better due to the frequent charge and discharge while you use the car. If you use the car like twice or three times a week, then the maintenance free one will do better.
I Think Therefore I Am
Spend.thrift
#12 Posted : Tuesday, March 06, 2012 12:18:56 PM

bwenyenye wrote:
How do you put Car battery and Nakumatt Together......[-o< Pray Pray

Now the best battery guys I know are Chloride Exide ( Industrial Area) and they will test yours and give you the correct battery and advice for your car( Not all cars use the same battery specifications). They still give you a warranty.

As regards whether to take maintenance free or not,it really depends on how often you use your car! kama ni gari ya everyday use, then the ordinary one is better due to the frequent charge and discharge while you use the car. If you use the car like twice or three times a week, then the maintenance free one will do better.

Bwenyenye. You must be a real burgouise of the old order.

The concept of all under one roof is what Nakumatt and now many others too is made off. They are agents for TVs, Car batteries e.t.c i.e more of selling space sellers than what you know.

Do not condemn us to Chloride Exide and why not put Nakumatt/Tusky's if you like and Car battery together oe even cars, TVs or readymade juice?

chloride batteries dissapoint a lot from my experience. My bad battery experiences stopped the day I mbought a ngileen maindainace free mbattery (like the old handy man at the shop called it) from a shop (motormart) located at Nakumatt mega. The same ngileen mbattery, I believe it is AMARON made in India, is found at Nakumatt supermarket outlets
bwenyenye
#13 Posted : Tuesday, March 06, 2012 12:59:45 PM

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly You made my afternoon!
I Think Therefore I Am
jaggernaut
#14 Posted : Tuesday, March 06, 2012 1:28:20 PM

My car came with a maintenance free battery from japan and it died after a few months. Shopped for a chloride exide one but terminals couldn't fit. The option was to change the cars terminals. But then someone recommended KV from Thailand which fit perfectly and its now been 1yr of trouble free service. It came with a 1yr warranty.
Magigi
#15 Posted : Tuesday, March 06, 2012 1:31:39 PM

Spend.thrift wrote:
bwenyenye wrote:
How do you put Car battery and Nakumatt Together......[-o< Pray Pray

chloride batteries dissapoint a lot from my experience. My bad battery experiences stopped the day I mbought a ngileen maindainace free mbattery (like the old handy man at the shop called it) from a shop (motormart) located at Nakumatt mega. The same ngileen mbattery, I believe it is AMARON made in India, is found at Nakumatt supermarket outlets

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
Djinn
#16 Posted : Tuesday, March 06, 2012 1:47:57 PM

Gordon Gekko wrote:
Some basics before you buy a new battery.

How long have you had the battery? A well looked after battery should last 3 - 4 years.

Have you looked after the battery well? A well looked after one is checked and topped up (if maintenance type every two weeks with distilled water ONLY).

Are the leads clean and covered with vaseline or have those white sediments formed on them?

If all above are in order, something is draining it, usual culprit is the alarm system.

Did the battery come with a warranty when bought or was it one of those funny unpronouncible names from that country C***a?

very true @GG - if I can chip in - if your battery level is low, maybe you can suspect your alternator of over charging it (thus it boils when running - overcharges to sometimes 14v and slowly the charge dissipates).

Or it could have been a one off incident with wiring that maybe caused a short and therefore the battery was affected - in which case, top up with battery water and see how that goes. I did that with a battery that was just outside the warranty period...and it lasted another 2 years or so.

Those deriding Nakumatt Motor Boutique - I think if you know what battery you want you can get it from there. I have done so TWICE - conveniently in the evening...both times for a Voltmaster.
gk
#17 Posted : Friday, February 19, 2016 12:11:25 PM

What are the best car batteries in the market today?
I bgt a new maintenance free chloride exd last yr and its giving me problems already.
grolut
#18 Posted : Friday, February 19, 2016 8:51:12 PM

gk wrote:
I bgt a new maintenance free chloride exd last yr and its giving me problems already.

Yangu I got in 2014, don't remember the name but it still works. It's black and green if that helps anyone identify. Picked it at Nakumatt Highway.
In a place where thought is abandoned, freedom can become a curse.
Niko Salama
#19 Posted : Friday, February 19, 2016 9:14:23 PM

If the battery is not old then check the alternator
Chaka
#20 Posted : Saturday, February 20, 2016 11:15:38 AM

gk wrote:

Is it out of warranty?