wazua Tue, Sep 24, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages12>
Premium Vs Regular Petrol
mukiha
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2012 9:28:36 AM

Why do we fill our cars with Premium petrol while the manufacturers say most of them should be running on regular?
Nothing is real unless it can be named; nothing has value unless it can be sold; money is worthless unless you spend it.
Njung'e
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2012 9:43:55 AM

Ignorance.How many,even here in Wazua,know the octane rating of fuel recommended for their cars?
Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
Lolest!
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2012 9:50:32 AM

Been thinking its for better performance!
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
tuvok
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2012 10:16:13 AM

Shell V Power - slightly better economy + performance on a turbo.

Shell KE claim that it has a RON of (was it?) 98.

I've experienced better consumption on a DI engine using shell V Power possibly due to the higher compression ratio that it uses. Specs say it can run on regular petrol (I wish they specified what RON)
mukiha
#5 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2012 12:21:59 PM

tuvok wrote:
Shell V Power - slightly better economy + performance on a turbo.

Shell KE claim that it has a RON of (was it?) 98.

I've experienced better consumption on a DI engine using shell V Power possibly due to the higher compression ratio that it uses. Specs say it can run on regular petrol (I wish they specified what RON)

When I tested V-Power a few years ago [when they launched it], my car actually consumed more than usual and lost power!
Nothing is real unless it can be named; nothing has value unless it can be sold; money is worthless unless you spend it.
mukiha
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2012 12:23:59 PM

Later, Shell revealed that V-Power is not about higher octane, but more "detergent" to clean the engine....
FRM2011
#7 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2012 1:37:11 PM

Forgive my ignorance but I have to ask this; what is octane rating? I always thought premium is just like the name suggests, you know better-quality-and-therefore-expensive. And to imagine I have driven a car for quite a number of years. Tafadhali elimisha mimi.
Dash
#8 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2012 1:40:05 PM

FRM2011 wrote:
Forgive my ignorance but I have to ask this; what is octane rating? I always thought premium is just like the name suggests, you know better-quality-and-therefore-expensive. And to imagine I have driven a car for quite a number of years. Tafadhali elimisha mimi.

Mimi pia. This is interesting
mukiha
#9 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2012 2:26:07 PM

Dash wrote:
FRM2011 wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating
Djinn
#10 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2012 2:29:37 PM

Dash wrote:
FRM2011 wrote:

hamna vikipedia jameni? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating
livie
#11 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2012 2:36:44 PM

wat is Kenya's RON?
If you are going to be thinking only one thing, you might as well be thinking big. -Donald J . Trump
Dash
#12 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2012 3:44:39 PM

Djinn wrote:
Dash wrote:
[quote=FRM2011]Forgive my ignorance but I have to ask this; what is octane rating? I always thought premium is just like the name suggests, you know better-quality-and-therefore-expensive. And to imagine I have driven a car for quite a number of years. Tafadhali elimisha mimi.

hamna vikipedia jameni? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating[/quote]

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly d'oh!
Thanks!
tuvok
#13 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2012 4:01:13 PM

Higher octane rated fuel would improve performance (all other factors being held constant) where the recommended fuel for the car is premium. Most vehicles however just need regular..

The other factors usually have larger factor to play though (the big one being the device found behind the wheel).
Eddy
#14 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2012 4:30:32 PM

How many stations stock regular petrol by the way?
Magigi
#15 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2012 5:07:16 PM

Eddy wrote:
How many stations stock regular petrol by the way?

...Asking the same...Is Regular the same as leaded petrol? Thought Kenya stopped selling Leaded petrol?
Chaka
#16 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2012 5:11:19 PM

My understanding is that regular has lead in it..thus it pollutes the environment and is not good for health(esp if you want to become a father)?Thus we have unleaded premium to counter this pollution problem..Is there such a thing as leaded premium?I also read somewhere that cars made before 1988 cannot use unleaded fuel,is this the case?
Eddy
#17 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2012 9:04:23 PM

Chaka wrote:
My understanding is that regular has lead in it..thus it pollutes the environment and is not good for health(esp if you want to become a father)?Thus we have unleaded premium to counter this pollution problem..Is there such a thing as leaded premium?I also read somewhere that cars made before 1988 cannot use unleaded fuel,is this the case?

All fuel in Kenya is unleaded whether regular or super, lead was just an add-on at the refinery and was useful for the older cars with a caburator.
Magigi
#18 Posted : Thursday, February 23, 2012 10:28:12 AM

Eddy wrote:
Chaka wrote:

All fuel in Kenya is unleaded whether regular or super, lead was just an add-on at the refinery and was useful for the older cars with a caburator.

...So which is the super and which is the regular? What are the costs for each? Can you be duped into getting regular instead of premium in a fuel station. How can you know? Pardon my ignorance!!!
Lolest!
#19 Posted : Thursday, February 23, 2012 11:15:10 AM

Magigi wrote:

...So which is the super and which is the regular? What are the costs for each? Can you be duped into getting regular instead of premium in a fuel station. How can you know? Pardon my ignorance!!!

I know regular from the exhaust fumes oduor. Would be happy to know of any other way of differentiating.

Regular is slightly cheaper than premium.
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
Djinn
#20 Posted : Friday, February 24, 2012 1:11:57 PM

There is unleaded regular and unleaded super. I have seen some places that stock unleaded regular - in fact that particular station I think was either in Mumias or Bungoma - and they had two pumps for unleaded regular (where all the boda bodas and taxis were queuing) and one for unleaded super - and one for diesel.

I disagree abt the assertion that leaded was meant for carburettor cars - I use unleaded on a carburettor car. The main thing (and I discovered this the hard way a while back) is that unleaded burns at a higher temperature and for cars pre-1980, the valve seats were designed for lower combustion. So a pre-1980 car had to have the valve seats replaced otherwise excess heat would over a period of time start to affect performance, cause the valve stems to stick, etc etc...

Caveat - but not ALL pre-1980 cars. Some manufacturers had the foresight to strengthen the valve seats...