wazua Wed, Oct 9, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Miraa farming and al shabaab connection
Wendz
#1 Posted : Saturday, October 01, 2011 12:43:17 PM

http://diasporakenyan.se...at-production-in-kenya/

what are your thoughts? Those from Meru, is this product turning the locals into miraa addict zombies? Supporting al shabaab i think is taking it abit too far? Ask yourself, why dont the western countries stop paying ransoms to the alshabaabs and they wont have dollars to spend in kenya? Talk of double standards... i think the writer is kenyan but seriously, is there a concern that we should be thinking of as kenyans? It sounded so western i didnt even like the article! Personally, i think we have more problems in muranga, kiambu, and now in nyahururu with illicit brews than in meru..... Havent heard them dead over over-consumption or that classes are being closed over lack of children... or does it go unreported?

Someone wants kenya to stop somalis spending their money here, alright... i would want to see an end to that, but then again, why pay them in the first place? Arent they just making it worse by submitting to their demands.... ok, they are 'rescuing' their ship, their people, etc.... but isnt kenyan government responsible to ensure that its people have an income too? you cant just get one sided way of fighting terrorism!

jasonhill
#2 Posted : Saturday, October 01, 2011 12:52:19 PM

Miraa farming is not controlled by Al and Bob in the least. It is an important industry for KENYAN farmers in the regions that grow it, who make most of the money from its sale, as well as Ethiopian farmers, who would step in and fill the void if Kenya got out of the veve business. There are probably some Al and Bob consumers of chat, of course, because it's a favored Somali pastime, but they are certainly not profiting from its generation. Smuggling? That's a Swedish problem. They can tighten their customs controls.

As far as banning it from being farmed, would one consider banning the manufacture of Coca Cola because Al and Bob drink it? Coca Cola was originally made with cocaine; raise a flag if the veve farmers start planting coca plants!

Are the people that run Coca Cola (and khat, and cell phones) up and across the border "supporters of terrorism"? How about the makers of Petrol? Computers? Phones? Al and Bob love these things.

No one condemns Glock for making so many lovely plastic pistols. No one has called them "terror supporters". But you can bet that if the old Nyayo plant started making M16 rifle assemblies, legally and under the proper eye of the government, that the Western nations would have an absolute fit- because we'd be eating into their profits- though we have every right to manufacture whatever we want that our government deems acceptable, and to export whatever we want to any nation in the world, especially an African one.

This Al & Bob and khat profits connection sounds like Western propaganda. Eventually, people get tired of hearing Western rags pumping up the self-righteousness card. They manufacture everything from guns, to conventional and nuclear weapons, to drugs, etc etc, and preside over nations with the highest percentage of drug user citizens who create the world's largest demand for cocaine and opiates, yet I never hear African nations jumping down their throats constantly with the self-righteous nonsense, monitoring their industries, and sending diplomats to accuse people and add them to "terrorism sponsor" lists. That's just like the "drug trafficker list" - though it's a real issue that needs to be addressed, it's being used as a political tool to freeze money and cause division.

If it's legal, people are employed, and the KRA is getting paid, other nations should STAY OUT OF IT. In fact, they should stay out if it regardless- it's a Kenyan matter.

I'm not a supporter of anyone getting nasty-mouth from chewing miraa, but, I'm also not a supporter of getting heart disease from KFC chicken. And I'm certainly against terrorism. But if they feel that khat is so bad, shouldn't they be happy that Al and Bob are chewing it?

Cathinone's effect on the consumer is not much more than caffeine, and a lot less harmful than alcohol, and science is behind those facts, unlike the odd, baseless statements made by the author that say that khat leads to "selfishness and lower KCSE scores". But I am fairly sure that it leads to oral and gum issues in the untreated, uncleaned mouth, eventually. And if you are going to choose to be a zombie, you will do it with whatever is available, be it veve, cough syrup, glue, or chang'aa. That's not a drug issue, it's a mental issue.

Some would argue that it's a spiritual issue.

Best,

Hill