wazua Tue, Oct 8, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages12>
Thika Rd, should it be named after Kibaki?
Insurgent
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 21, 2011 12:35:33 PM

Just a thought, we Kenyans seem not to appreciate what kibaki has done for this country. Of course he has his shortcomings such as protecting Mzee Moi while many would have wanted to see him answer for atrocities committed during his watch. But Mzee kibaki seems to have had better wisdom than not.

Who would be offended by Thika Rd being renamed Kibaki Superhighway, or Mwai Autobahn?

"One man gives freely, yet gains even more; another withholds unduly, but comes to poverty. A generous man will prosper; he who refreshes others will himself be refreshed." Rev Canon Karanja.

FancyFace
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 21, 2011 12:43:27 PM

Insurgent wrote:
Just a thought, we Kenyans seem not to appreciate what kibaki has done for this country. Of course he has his shortcomings such as protecting Mzee Moi while many would have wanted to see him answer for atrocities committed during his watch. But Mzee kibaki seems to have had better wisdom than not.

Who would be offended by Thika Rd being renamed Kibaki Superhighway, or Mwai Autobahn?

Couldn't agree more. If he were to run for another term, I would vote for him......I like his leadership stairo

Problems can get out of proportion, and not only in the wee small hours. Don't let the problems eclipse the Master. Let the Master eclipse the problems.
Sufficiently Philanga....thropic
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 21, 2011 12:51:34 PM

True true, but wait for a few minutes and the anti-development, those guys who only do politics n have never featured in the Investor column come to pour cold water on this great thread u have started !
@SufficientlyP
vinii
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 21, 2011 12:53:21 PM

na je Raira? pia yeye apewa nus mkati..half of Thika Road should be called Agwambo and the balance baba Jimmy..!!!Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
If you are an eagle don't hang around with chickens; chickens don't fly....
Wa_ithaka
#5 Posted : Thursday, July 21, 2011 1:02:42 PM

Hii ni ushamba. So should we rename Equity, James Mwangi Bank? He has been part of the plan to built thika road, but we Kenyans have/are paying for it.

ABK
The Governor of Nyeri - 2017
raszag
#6 Posted : Thursday, July 21, 2011 1:17:53 PM

Well said @Insurgent. The guy has laid a firm foundation especially on infrastructure be it Roads,ICT-Fibre etc etc...

Again, he assured the country that he's name wouldn't appear anywhere until after his term(s)...He's managed to keep that promise so far(until Lucy Kibaki hospital last week -Lucy is the spouse so we need to differentiate the two).....think we can honour him by renaming Thika to Emilio Superhighway
Hardwork, Smartness & Humility = Successful and Happy life...Jipange sasa hivi
simonkabz
#7 Posted : Thursday, July 21, 2011 1:24:27 PM

Hehehe ati EMILIO SUPERHIGHWAY....and EASTERN RAIRA BYPASS for regional balance.
TULIA.........UFUNZWE!
cmk
#8 Posted : Thursday, July 21, 2011 1:33:58 PM

not worth it ...the road already has a name..if it has to be renamed,then look for a neutral name and make sure agwambo is consulted..we as odm have refused..
Every man is guilty of all the good he didn't do-
Voltaire
DonBen
#9 Posted : Thursday, July 21, 2011 1:42:26 PM

Wa_ithaka wrote:
Hii ni ushamba. So should we rename Equity, James Mwangi Bank? He has been part of the plan to built thika road, but we Kenyans have/are paying for it.

ABK

Agreed, and seconded!
Spend.thrift
#10 Posted : Thursday, July 21, 2011 1:57:43 PM

I personally appreciate what Kibaki has doen for infractrature. Those who say that we Kenyans are paying for it should also know that we would have paid for the same under the previous regime but we were denied a chnace to.

However from the urban planning perspective, the naming of roads should follow some understandable format.

Picture this; we have Moi Avenue, Uhuru Highway, Kenyatta avenue Mfangano Street, Racecourse road and Tom Mboya street. What is the difference btn highway, , avenue and street with reference to the above examples??

Try Parkland 1st Avnue, 2nd Avnue e.t.c and it get easier. It become easier for a foreigner driving a car hired to JKIA to get to a location by simply reading a business card. Can't happen currently unless you got a map or you knwo the streets prior.

The name of individuals can be appended to other points e.g schools, memeorial hospitals or libraries e.t.c

My two Southern Sudanese pounds
seppuku
#11 Posted : Thursday, July 21, 2011 2:02:51 PM

First of all, I think all great human beings (not only leaders) deserve be honored. I see nothing wrong with permanently etching their names in the annals of history. But they've got to do something really great. In my view, to build roads as president is to simply do your job. If you want us to name places after you and to put your face on our money you've got to supersede that. You've got to inspire us, detribalize us, make us proud to be Kenyans... Has Kibaki achieve that? No. And for a man that became president to the most optimistic people o the planet in 2002, Kibaki has disappointed. Is he a great economist? Yes. Without a doubt. Is he a great leader? Hardly. I rest my case.
Learn first to treat your time as you would your money, then treat your money as you do your time.
Njung'e
#12 Posted : Thursday, July 21, 2011 2:11:34 PM

Baks has done great for this country in terms of infrastructure and electrification.For that,he gets a straight "A" from me.....i also realise he is an individual who has no ego to be soothed unlike many politicians (Mpigs)of our time.Would he agree even if it be for a minute?.I highly doubt.
Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
famooz
#13 Posted : Thursday, July 21, 2011 2:23:40 PM

seppuku wrote:
First of all, I think all great human beings (not only leaders) deserve be honored. I see nothing wrong with permanently etching their names in the annals of history. But they've got to do something really great. In my view, to build roads as president is to simply do your job. If you want us to name places after you and to put your face on our money you've got to supersede that. You've got to inspire us, detribalize us, make us proud to be Kenyans... Has Kibaki achieve that? No. And for a man that became president to the most optimistic people o the planet in 2002, Kibaki has disappointed. Is he a great economist? Yes. Without a doubt. Is he a great leader? Hardly. I rest my case.

only you can 'detribalise' yourself my friend. Wacha mzee asifiwe!see Njung'e here is giving him straight 'As'?smile These days,for me to go to my village,it takes me 3 hours,a journey that took us 4 and half hours in the Moi regime- and people wonder why we are crazy about the old man......let that Thika road be named after him akitaka.........
chemos
#14 Posted : Thursday, July 21, 2011 2:36:14 PM

seppuku wrote:

You beat me to it...

Kwani we elected him to do what???? he is just doing his job. Nothin more...
willin2learn
#15 Posted : Thursday, July 21, 2011 3:36:38 PM

vinii wrote:
na je Raira? pia yeye apewa nus mkati..half of Thika Road should be called Agwambo and the balance baba Jimmy..!!!Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

And the middle dry patch dividing the road to Thika and the one from Thika made of loose soil should be named wiper dais
XSK
#16 Posted : Thursday, July 21, 2011 4:06:56 PM

willin2learn wrote:
vinii wrote:

And the middle dry patch dividing the road to Thika and the one from Thika made of loose soil should be named wiper dais

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
You will know that you have arrived when money and time are not mutually exclusive "events" in you life!
bwenyenye
#17 Posted : Thursday, July 21, 2011 4:51:33 PM

In as much as Kibaki is doing his job, I think he has done a fantastic job as far as infrastructure is concerned. I see no harm in honouring him that way. We need to remember him with one of the greatest works he led us to do; well, now that we cannot have a 'Kibaki Constitution'
I Think Therefore I Am
dunkang
#18 Posted : Thursday, July 21, 2011 5:24:28 PM

We don't need to name anything anyone! This bullshit of naming was so dictatorial that tukianza tena, dictatorship itaanza tena!

If he wants to be remembered, let him be remembered by his family by declaring who is who to him. Bibi ni nani au nani. Watoto ni nani wanani. Then he will spare the shame that is common to kikuyu families after any mzee departs. (Read: Kamau Wanjiru and Kirima)

Who agrees more or less? Nimeharibu thread?
Receive with simplicity everything that happens to you.” ― Rashi

mozenrat
#19 Posted : Thursday, July 21, 2011 5:24:50 PM

He was elected to do that job plus the job of ensuring the security of Kenyans and their property.. "B" for roads "F" for the latter.. He sent the army to collect victims of PEV rather than slaughter the assailants... total underperformer.
the sage
#20 Posted : Thursday, July 21, 2011 5:48:09 PM

mozenrat wrote:
He was elected to do that job plus the job of ensuring the security of Kenyans and their property.. "B" for roads "F" for the latter.. He sent the army to collect victims of PEV rather than slaughter the assailants... total underperformer.

Kwani pesa zake ama za wananchi