wazua Tue, Oct 8, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages12>
Chief Justice Statement on Dress code
McReggae
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 05, 2011 4:42:18 PM

Over the last week, I have received questions on Facebook and Twitter by young lawyers about my position on studs and the dress code in Kenyan courts. To wit can lawyers appear before the Court wearing their studs? Because it is difficult for me to respond to each one of them individually, I wish to clarify my position here.

At this point, I can say that the Judges of the Supreme Court have agreed that we have no issues with anyone appearing before the Supreme Court, wearing their studs. Our position is that as long as officers of the court - both lawyers and judges can appear smart, a stud - or indeed dreadlocks - should not hinder the administration of justice.

At the Supreme Court, we shall not be wearing the colonial wigs and robes, and we shall seek the input of Kenyans on a simple robe that can be worn over a suit, for example. We will encourage the Court of Appeal and the High Court to review the dress code there. We will dialogue with them and the LSK and we expect the public to participate in the debate.

Willy Mutunga,
Chief Justice, Republic of Kenya
President of the Supreme Court
..."Wewe ni mtu mdogo sana....na mwenye amekuandika pia ni mtu mdogo sana!".
Ngalaka
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 05, 2011 8:30:51 PM

Opening a can of worms.

Where do you draw the line
Isuni yilu yi maa me muyo - ni Mbisuu
vinii
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 05, 2011 9:58:47 PM

if justice will be dispensed better in dreadlocks, then sincerely i dont care about attire.....we have previously been conned as a country by gentlemen wearing expensive italian suits
If you are an eagle don't hang around with chickens; chickens don't fly....
dossy7
#4 Posted : Tuesday, July 05, 2011 10:43:28 PM

Wish it could spread in all sectors id grow mine very fast
Kenya ni yetu sisi sote
Elder
#5 Posted : Wednesday, July 06, 2011 8:39:08 AM

Ngalaka wrote:

Opening a can of worms.

Where do you draw the line

Indeed.

Just sitting back. Watching how it would all unravel.
He who can express in words the ardour of his love, has but little love to express. - Petrach, Son. (That men by various ways arrive at the same end. - Montaigne, The Essays of.)
mukiha
#6 Posted : Wednesday, July 06, 2011 8:48:25 AM

It's a tough call. Isn't a suit also a colonial dress code?
Nothing is real unless it can be named; nothing has value unless it can be sold; money is worthless unless you spend it.
Lolest!
#7 Posted : Wednesday, July 06, 2011 9:55:26 AM

So what if a judge or a lawyer feels like wearing the robe and wig? Is the freedom only for judges and lawyers who want to don studs and dreads?
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
majimaji
#8 Posted : Wednesday, July 06, 2011 10:13:35 AM

Where do they do ear shooting? I need to wear a stud to work to test the level of democracy there:)
McReggae
#9 Posted : Wednesday, July 06, 2011 10:20:18 AM

could we be openning a pandoras box in kenya through the judiciary?????.....I see this spilling in every sphere of life especially with the kids and their rights!!!
innairobi
#10 Posted : Wednesday, July 06, 2011 10:36:09 AM

Possibly the single biggest waste of a CJ press statement since Kenya's independence. It tops the "Experts for what" rant.
All my friends are heathens, take it slow. Wait for them to ask you who you know. Please don't make any sudden moves.
Magigi
#11 Posted : Wednesday, July 06, 2011 10:48:49 AM

majimaji wrote:

Where do they do ear shooting? I need to wear a stud to work to test the level of democracy there:)

@Waterwater
...Pass by any salon this evening and they will shoot one...And when you do that, I can provide the stud for free...Gold 24 carats...I have at least 3 different ones which my daughter hajui wenzake wako wapi...I am serious!!!
Tebes
#12 Posted : Wednesday, July 06, 2011 10:58:01 AM

mukiha wrote:
It's a tough call. Isn't a suit also a colonial dress code?

Surely that is too far. Colonial implied something foreign that we can as well do without. Simply that, but I stand to be corrected.
"Never regret, if its good, its wonderful. If its bad, its experience."
Wa_ithaka
#13 Posted : Wednesday, July 06, 2011 11:10:03 AM

Worrying that the new CJ is involving himself in sideshows at the start of his era
The Governor of Nyeri - 2017
Magigi
#14 Posted : Wednesday, July 06, 2011 11:15:02 AM

Wa_ithaka wrote:
Worrying that the new CJ is involving himself in sideshows at the start of his era

....Enyewe...na hiyo back pack he carries, surely it does not go well with suits...
mwenza
#15 Posted : Wednesday, July 06, 2011 11:17:09 AM

Magigi wrote:
Wa_ithaka wrote:

....Enyewe...na hiyo back pack he carries, surely it does not go well with suits...

.,....It makes him look like Besigye.
IF YOU EXPECT ME TO POST ANYTHING POSITIVE ABOUT ASENO, YOU MAY AS WELL SIT ON A PIN
McReggae
#16 Posted : Wednesday, July 06, 2011 11:34:43 AM

mwenza wrote:
Magigi wrote:
Wa_ithaka wrote:

smile
vinii
#17 Posted : Wednesday, July 06, 2011 1:21:39 PM

majimaji wrote:

dont be in a hurry brazza, unaweza mwaga unga !
If you are an eagle don't hang around with chickens; chickens don't fly....
bwenyenye
#18 Posted : Wednesday, July 06, 2011 1:29:40 PM

Wa_ithaka wrote:

Hear! hear!
I will know the guy is working when the backlog of cases is done with and the maximum duration of case be brought down to under three months. The rest is hype to me!
I Think Therefore I Am
innairobi
#19 Posted : Wednesday, July 06, 2011 1:42:18 PM

Still early in the day but clearly not everything is always as it seems. So far:

- The most memorable statement from the chap who was touted as "THE Great Reformer" is on why we all need to don earrings and dreadlocks when going to court.

- The most memorable statement from the chap who was touted as "THE Gatekeeper of Impunity" is on the extradition of Okemo and Gichuru.
All my friends are heathens, take it slow. Wait for them to ask you who you know. Please don't make any sudden moves.
Elder
#20 Posted : Wednesday, July 06, 2011 1:43:47 PM

mwenza wrote:
Magigi wrote:
Wa_ithaka wrote:

When shall he start walking to work?

@bwenyenye I worry that we may have another PLO on our hands. I pray that my worry is unwarranted.
He who can express in words the ardour of his love, has but little love to express. - Petrach, Son. (That men by various ways arrive at the same end. - Montaigne, The Essays of.)