wazua Tue, Oct 8, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

6 Pages«<23456>
Prime Minister Raila Odinga shows leadership by paying tax arrears.
Lolest!
#61 Posted : Monday, June 27, 2011 9:13:31 PM

Sober wrote:
I pay tax and no one congratulates me...

Laughing out loudly me too, instead, I have to file tax returns to prove the amount paid for was all I owed.
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
masukuma
#62 Posted : Tuesday, June 28, 2011 6:45:15 AM

Luke 21:1-4
All Mushrooms are edible! Some Mushroom are only edible ONCE!
Wa_ithaka
#63 Posted : Tuesday, June 28, 2011 7:51:06 AM

Credit where its due. I rartely have nothing nice to say abt the PM, but on this tax issue, I like his leadership. As taxpayers, I think we should all get mad about idiots like Kalooser, Musalia, even Ruto who are dilly-dallying and talking about PSC should talk to KRA et al.
Any Kenyan who doesn't pay tax when they should, should not even participate in elections as a voter never mind any leadership role
The Governor of Nyeri - 2017
QW25071985
#64 Posted : Tuesday, June 28, 2011 8:14:40 AM

guliable kenyans have fallen for his nicely conducted PR.Surely goes he need to alert everybody (including media) that he's paying taxes and its his duty to pay taxes in the new constitution.A PM is a very busy person for him to go and waste his time lining up at times tower is total BS.Where are his aides ???? Pure PR if you ask me..
This taxation issue has been politicised and RAO being who he is has taken advantage of it..
nostoppingthis
#65 Posted : Tuesday, June 28, 2011 8:41:22 AM

B.Timer wrote:
Raila is as usual courting publicity!

He waited all this while so as to pay in arreas and only after a demand is made.

Did he also pay the penealties for delaying taxes.

For political convenience he abandons other Mps without a care.
Ask kina Ruto and Kosgey.

Kenneth and Muthama are the only MPs who can hold their heads high on the taxes matter

and the rest are still waiting all this time...
mukiha
#66 Posted : Tuesday, June 28, 2011 8:47:22 AM

Yesterday, I was at the mezz. floor of the banking hall at times towers queuing to pay my balance of tax for 2010 [a cash flow problem forced me to miss the April 30 deadline, so there was a 20% penalty to pay as well]. I queued from 10am to 10:45am. The queue was about 20 people long and there was only one counter open.

After standing on the immobile queue for about 20min, I went and talked to one of the supervisors and explained that is was unfair to keep us on that long queue yet we all had come to bring them money. "We are not like the MPs who have refused to pay, you don't even have to come and demand it from us... tumejilete kwa hiari yetu..."

He saw the logic - quite a nice fellow really - and organised for two more counters to be opened.... then at 10.45am, I reached the front of the queue, paid my tax and went back to my business. No TV cameras, no congratulations, nothing.

Then, two hours later, a tax dodger who has been caught-up with by KRA shows up... TV and newspaper cameras in tow. Joins the queue [which has now shortened considerably due to my earlier intervention], pays the tax which he has been dodging for the last 9 months then goes to a press conference where he urges fellow tax dodgers to come out and pay.

He even goes on to explain that it was not his fault... apparently, KRA should have sent him a demand letter the moment the law was changed blah...blah...blah....

And I wondered to myself, I have never waited for KRA to send me a demand letter. From the moment I left formal employment [where tax was deducted at source], I knew that it was my DUTY to go to KRA, give them my statement of incomes and pay my share of tax on it.

And this guy wants to be President? Anyone who does not understand that it is his/her DUTY to go and declare their income to KRA and then pay the tax is not fit to a leader!!
Nothing is real unless it can be named; nothing has value unless it can be sold; money is worthless unless you spend it.
Burning Spear
#67 Posted : Tuesday, June 28, 2011 8:50:58 AM

Robinhood wrote:
Kudos RAO. I differ with you on many issues but this is real leadership. Hats off...

pia mimi nasema kama wewe !
"You're not supposed to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who says it". Malcolm X
dossy7
#68 Posted : Tuesday, June 28, 2011 8:59:26 AM

vinii wrote:
hii kalooser ni mtu bure kabisa , sasa 'negotiation' nikusema nini? He should have taken a clear position; paying or not paying! Mudavadi pia ni bure tuu

Kupita katikatiLaughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
Kenya ni yetu sisi sote
mukiha
#69 Posted : Tuesday, June 28, 2011 9:17:23 AM

masukuma wrote:
Luke 21:1-4

Luke 21
The Widow’s Offering

1 As Jesus looked up, he saw the rich putting their gifts into the temple treasury. 2 He also saw a poor widow put in two very small copper coins. 3 “Truly I tell you,” he said, “this poor widow has put in more than all the others. 4 All these people gave their gifts out of their wealth; but she out of her poverty put in all she had to live on.”
Nothing is real unless it can be named; nothing has value unless it can be sold; money is worthless unless you spend it.
nostoppingthis
#70 Posted : Tuesday, June 28, 2011 9:30:15 AM

@Mukhija, even UK, WR etc who want to be president have not paid, ole kiyapi etc too...maybe hapo kwa PK ndio unaweza jitetea...
Gordon Gekko
#71 Posted : Tuesday, June 28, 2011 9:39:32 AM

Just curious. He made two payments, one of which was 1.9M, so the other must have been 1.5M (Both above 1M). Anything above a metre must be conveyed by RTGS......
Insurgent
#72 Posted : Tuesday, June 28, 2011 9:44:53 AM

mukiha wrote:
Yesterday, I was at the mezz. floor of the banking hall at times towers queuing to pay my balance of tax for 2010 [a cash flow problem forced me to miss the April 30 deadline, so there was a 20% penalty to pay as well]. I queued from 10am to 10:45am. The queue was about 20 people long and there was only one counter open.

After standing on the immobile queue for about 20min, I went and talked to one of the supervisors and explained that is was unfair to keep us on that long queue yet we all had come to bring them money. "We are not like the MPs who have refused to pay, you don't even have to come and demand it from us... tumejilete kwa hiari yetu..."

He saw the logic - quite a nice fellow really - and organised for two more counters to be opened.... then at 10.45am, I reached the front of the queue, paid my tax and went back to my business. No TV cameras, no congratulations, nothing.

Then, two hours later, a tax dodger who has been caught-up with by KRA shows up... TV and newspaper cameras in tow. Joins the queue [which has now shortened considerably due to my earlier intervention], pays the tax which he has been dodging for the last 9 months then goes to a press conference where he urges fellow tax dodgers to come out and pay.

He even goes on to explain that it was not his fault... apparently, KRA should have sent him a demand letter the moment the law was changed blah...blah...blah....

And I wondered to myself, I have never waited for KRA to send me a demand letter. From the moment I left formal employment [where tax was deducted at source], I knew that it was my DUTY to go to KRA, give them my statement of incomes and pay my share of tax on it.

And this guy wants to be President? Anyone who does not understand that it is his/her DUTY to go and declare their income to KRA and then pay the tax is not fit to a leader!!

@Mukiha, well said and put. If you want to use the tax isue as a sign of leadership, look at Peter Keneth and Muthama, not the other scoundrel who uses misfortune of others to make political mileage. Shindwe!

"One man gives freely, yet gains even more; another withholds unduly, but comes to poverty. A generous man will prosper; he who refreshes others will himself be refreshed." Rev Canon Karanja.

TAZ
#73 Posted : Tuesday, June 28, 2011 9:47:55 AM

Gordon Gekko wrote:
Just curious. He made two payments, one of which was 1.9M, so the other must have been 1.5M (Both above 1M). Anything above a metre must be conveyed by RTGS......

Applause Good point, just to show you how far our politicians are willing to go ndio wapate kura.
Insurgent
#74 Posted : Tuesday, June 28, 2011 9:49:59 AM

Lolest! wrote:
Sober wrote:
I pay tax and no one congratulates me...

Laughing out loudly me too, instead, I have to file tax returns to prove the amount paid for was all I owed.

Lolest and Mukiha, I don't get it. You actually go to times towers to pay taxes or fill return? that is the shit I said I will never do. It is a waste of time unless you are an employer. what hapens if you dont fill returns? is it done elsewhere ama ni hapa tu kenya.

"One man gives freely, yet gains even more; another withholds unduly, but comes to poverty. A generous man will prosper; he who refreshes others will himself be refreshed." Rev Canon Karanja.

Sober
#75 Posted : Tuesday, June 28, 2011 10:05:32 AM

dossy7 wrote:
vinii wrote:
hii kalooser ni mtu bure kabisa , sasa 'negotiation' nikusema nini? He should have taken a clear position; paying or not paying! Mudavadi pia ni bure tuu

Kupita katikatiLaughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
this guy for sure is a gambler, just weighs in between to see how he may benefit.
African parents don't know how to say sorry.. the closest you will get to a sorry is a 'have you eaten'
willin2learn
#76 Posted : Tuesday, June 28, 2011 10:08:00 AM

Insurgent wrote:
mukiha wrote:

@Mukiha, well said and put. If you want to use the tax isue as a sign of leadership, look at Peter Keneth and Muthama, not the other scoundrel who uses misfortune of others to make political mileage. Shindwe!

Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause

Hapo umedinya point as Vvs would say. And pray, come 27/07/2011 and subsequently on the same date every month,will the illustrious, law abiding, precedent setting PM repeat the same at KRA since he has set the precedent? Pure PR. A re known cattle rustler, having terrorized and maimed thousands leaving some desolate finally is coerced to hand in his AK-47 during disarmament exercise and we all go Ga Ga!!
Ms Mkenya
#77 Posted : Tuesday, June 28, 2011 10:25:40 AM

Njore wrote:
If anything, credit should go to J. Muthama and P. Kenneth and not to any other political leader who knowingly and willingly committed an economic crime for ten months with impunity. It is slowly coming to dawn on political leaders that days of impunity were buried with the old constitution. Incidentally, they are also not very sure what cards the new CJ may be holding under the table.

@Njore, this is true. These guys have shown true leadership.
P.S-I am thinking, we may soon have our taxes reduced.. Now that they are feeling the pinch..
....above all, to stand.
Obi 1 Kanobi
#78 Posted : Tuesday, June 28, 2011 10:27:22 AM

mukiha wrote:

@Mukiha, It is so unlike you write such "glass half empty" rhetoric. What exactly is your problem here, is it the cheques that RAO brought or the media coverage.

The only reason RAO appeared on TV paying taxes was because it is news and not because he called them, the reason why it made news was probably for its symbolic value.

Whether you chose to write a KRA cheque and have it delivered by your messenger or choose to go there is neither here nor there, the point is to pay the tax due. That RAO milked the opportunity to court publicity is all about his personality and everyone here certainly expects him to do that given half a chance.
"The purpose of bureaucracy is to compensate for incompetence and lack of discipline." James Collins
mukiha
#79 Posted : Tuesday, June 28, 2011 10:47:20 AM

Obi 1 Kanobi wrote:
mukiha wrote:

@Mukiha, It is so unlike you write such "glass half empty" rhetoric. What exactly is your problem here, is it the cheques that RAO brought or the media coverage.

The only reason RAO appeared on TV paying taxes was because it is news and not because he called them, the reason why it made news was probably for its symbolic value.

Whether you chose to write a KRA cheque and have it delivered by your messenger or choose to go there is neither here nor there, the point is to pay the tax due. That RAO milked the opportunity to court publicity is all about his personality and everyone here certainly expects him to do that given half a chance.

@Obi;

It's not rhetoric; it is opinion based on factual events. Surely I am entitled to it, and fairly so.
nostoppingthis
#80 Posted : Tuesday, June 28, 2011 10:56:20 AM

Even if RAO caught a cold, it would be in news...