wazua Tue, Oct 8, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages123>»
MPigs topay taxes back dated to July last year
freiks
#1 Posted : Monday, June 20, 2011 11:27:17 PM

This is the best piece i have come accross. Since there is no carrot they hold it will just be so nice seeing them pay the tax. Budget and constitution is already passed. PAY TAXES TO ENJOY THE FRUITS

http://www.nation.co.ke/...04/-/jo97ya/-/index.html
Life is an endless adventure
vinii
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 21, 2011 7:22:34 AM

[quote=freiks]This is the best piece i have come accross. Since there is no carrot they hold it will just be so nice seeing them pay the tax. Budget and constitution is already passed. PAY TAXES TO ENJOY THE FRUITS

http://www.nation.co.ke/...4/-/jo97ya/-/index.html[/quote]
good step, however the 'carrot' may not have been entirely lost, there are many pieces of legislation that need to be enacted for the constitution to take effect. I suspect these mpigs will blackmail kenyans untill they get their way.
If you are an eagle don't hang around with chickens; chickens don't fly....
mukiha
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 21, 2011 8:55:26 AM

This is what the constitution says:

"210(3) No law may exclude or authorise the exclusion of a State officer from payment of tax by reason of—
(a) the office held by that State officer; or
(b) the nature of the work of the State officer."

"151(2) The remuneration, benefits and privileges of the President and Deputy President shall not be varied to their disadvantage while in office."

"160(4) ...the remuneration and benefits payable to, or in respect of, a judge shall not be varied to the disadvantage of that judge, and the retirement benefits of a retired judge shall not be varied to the disadvantage of the retired judge during the lifetime of that retired judge."

"250(8) The remuneration and benefits payable to, or in respect of, the members of a commission or the holder of an indepenedent (sic) office shall not be varied to the disadvantage of that person during their respective terms of office."

These clauses protect respective officers from the sort of action that MPs are facing. But the constitution is silent about MPs' salaries. It only establishes the Parliamentary Service Commission {whose members salaries are protected under 250(8).

In all honesty, that was unfair to the MPs - even though they have been unfair to us by not paying their full tax for two decades.

Their only way out is to get a good lawyer to convince a judge that the spirit of the constitution is "salaries should not be varied to the disadvantage of a person during their term of office." And that imposition of additional tax constitutes a variation.

But with Willy Mutunga now in office, I doubt whether they will be able to convince any judge...
Nothing is real unless it can be named; nothing has value unless it can be sold; money is worthless unless you spend it.
KulaRaha
#4 Posted : Tuesday, June 21, 2011 9:02:56 AM

I doubt it will happen, but if it does, it will make millions of Kenyans happy to see those worthless heaps do something for their country for a change!
Business opportunities are like buses,there's always another one coming
Njunge
#5 Posted : Tuesday, June 21, 2011 9:27:46 AM

@Chairman.
It will happen.....It's the constitution and they can only play ball.Much of what is remaining in parliament passing implimentation bills......If they try tricks or don't pass them,they stand fired!....Ha!.

@Mukiha,
Wacha kutetea those brari useless Mpigs....."Waripe" na interest. 1B take home for the exchequer ain't bad during this hard times.Can feed Turkana populace for a while.
Burning Spear
#6 Posted : Tuesday, June 21, 2011 9:34:10 AM

wacha walipe and be backdated from July last year waskie vile tunaskia tukilipa tax as they steal it
"You're not supposed to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who says it". Malcolm X
McReggae
#7 Posted : Tuesday, June 21, 2011 9:40:37 AM

I doubt this will happen during the life of the current parliament!!!!
..."Wewe ni mtu mdogo sana....na mwenye amekuandika pia ni mtu mdogo sana!".
Robinhood
#8 Posted : Tuesday, June 21, 2011 9:48:33 AM

The best part is that the MPs are supposed to pay taxes from the day the constitution was passed
Great men are not always wise, neither do the aged understand judgement...
Euge
#9 Posted : Tuesday, June 21, 2011 10:07:08 AM

I want to be an accountant in my next life. I will certainly be rich because I will follow every coin owed to me. Waripeeeee ushuru.
Lord, thank you!
githundi
#10 Posted : Tuesday, June 21, 2011 10:13:37 AM

Walipe*
Democracy does not belong to the dead
gathinga
#11 Posted : Tuesday, June 21, 2011 11:14:27 AM

mukiha wrote:

"210(3) No law may exclude or authorise the exclusion of a State officer from payment of tax by reason of—

"151(2) The remuneration, benefits and privileges of the President and Deputy President shall not be varied to their disadvantage while in office."

"160(4) ...the remuneration and benefits payable to, or in respect of, a judge shall not be varied to the disadvantage of that judge, and the retirement benefits of a retired judge shall not be varied to the disadvantage of the retired judge during the lifetime of that retired judge."

"250(8) The remuneration and benefits payable to, or in respect of, the members of a commission or the holder of an indepenedent (sic) office shall not be varied to the disadvantage of that person during their respective terms of office."

These clauses protect respective officers from the sort of action that MPs are facing. But the constitution is silent about MPs' salaries. It only establishes the Parliamentary Service Commission {whose members salaries are protected under 250(8).

In all honesty, that was unfair to the MPs - even though they have been unfair to us by not paying their full tax for two decades.

Their only way out is to get a good lawyer to convince a judge that the spirit of the constitution is "salaries should not be varied to the disadvantage of a person during their term of office." And that imposition of additional tax constitutes a variation.

But with Willy Mutunga now in office, I doubt whether they will be able to convince any judge...

can now authoritatively report that @Mukiha is a learned friend. Impressive
gathinga
#12 Posted : Tuesday, June 21, 2011 11:16:10 AM

John Njiraini, commissioner of domestic taxes KRA, is believed to be waweru's preferred successor. If these MPGIS ever get a chance to vet him, woe unto him
bwenyenye
#13 Posted : Tuesday, June 21, 2011 11:32:20 AM

I heard the usual cliche... ' Let us pay from the next election coz we had already budgetted for our money."

Hii watu ni Shenji kabisa. Kwani me and you pay taxes because we do not budget for our money ?

MARIPE! kwanza with penalties and interest kama wengine!
I Think Therefore I Am
mukiha
#14 Posted : Tuesday, June 21, 2011 1:22:28 PM

gathinga wrote:
mukiha wrote:

can now authoritatively report that @Mukiha is a learned friend. Impressive

...some one once wrote that mukiha=hakimu!!
Nothing is real unless it can be named; nothing has value unless it can be sold; money is worthless unless you spend it.
Ms Mkenya
#15 Posted : Tuesday, June 21, 2011 2:38:15 PM

I hope they are not busy trying to get a way out... Walipe Ushuru, Tujitegemee. All their Ushuru should go to resettling IDP's...
....above all, to stand.
Kirika
#16 Posted : Tuesday, June 21, 2011 2:41:13 PM

This will definately lead to a detonation of blood curdling squels from the pigsty.

I hope the Commissioner and his men are ruthless, he once quiped to the MPigs that they should pay taxes to gain the moral authority on how taxes are paid.......
Bettertry
#17 Posted : Tuesday, June 21, 2011 3:33:05 PM

They will pay if not yesterday then today if not... then tomorrow, but eventually they'll have to tow the line. We all witnessed the other day the new constitution whipping (literary) MK into towing the line when decided to disregard it and appoint a CJ, AG & a DPP of his choice!!! So mimi niko na imani and YES... OOOH YES... OOOH YES... waripe na K.Ra.A wasiwapebereze.
We Will Either Find a Way or Create One - HANNIBAL
Theu
#18 Posted : Tuesday, June 21, 2011 9:33:57 PM

Shame on you Shame on you Shame on you Gwasi Mpig trying to blackmail Kenyans, ati now mpigs will be more comprised if they pay taxes!!! I suggest then other Kenyans not to pay taxes so that we can eradicate corruption! ABK this Mpig Mbadi (Bad?)
gogeta
#19 Posted : Tuesday, June 21, 2011 10:07:36 PM

these guys may be taxed but they will do whatever they can to put themselves back to the same financial position they have been, by stealing from the treasury.. lets just hope that PLO will exceed expectations and make sure no mpig steals
Think the unthinkable but wear a dark suit
freiks
#20 Posted : Wednesday, June 22, 2011 1:07:22 AM

This Mbadi guy is really bad.....Since budget was read he has been on Uhuru's back like a tick on a zebu cow. Hawesmek tax lazima
http://www.nation.co.ke/...32/-/gfm4hb/-/index.html
Life is an endless adventure