wazua Sat, May 25, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Heads to roll at Safaricom under new structure
Pastor M
#1 Posted : Monday, March 14, 2011 8:53:12 AM

http://www.nation.co.ke/...8/-/q4fstu/-/index.html

Has this guy already understood the Kenyan market to start sending senior management home ?
Papa Investor
#2 Posted : Monday, March 14, 2011 9:38:13 AM

It is just business...nothing personal...
Burning Spear
#3 Posted : Monday, March 14, 2011 1:54:20 PM

Pastor M wrote:
http://www.nation.co.ke/business/news/Heads+to+roll+at+Safaricom+under+new+structure+/-/1006/1124168/-/q4fstu/-/index.html

Has this guy already understood the Kenyan market to start sending senior management home ?

he should be careful
"You're not supposed to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who says it". Malcolm X
Abby
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 15, 2011 8:27:38 AM

How are you good people?

I was just wondering about the fact that the Chief Technical Officer at Safaricom has been there since the start of the company, has seen it make its billions .....

Then comes a new CEO who asks all senior managers to re-apply for their jobs .... It is hard to take!!

I guess it is good to be an investor. Confronted with a situation like that, you submit a resignation letter without thinking twice.

Good day.
aydenjason
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 15, 2011 8:41:03 AM

@abby- wel spoken! I think saf should stop using biz jargons like 'restructuring' n bluntly admit that profits r dwindling and that for them to stay afloat they hav to cut jobs.
Namukhaywa: walk by me & ill take u thea.
alikujia
#6 Posted : Tuesday, March 15, 2011 3:22:30 PM

aydenjason wrote:
@abby- wel spoken! I think saf should stop using biz jargons like 'restructuring' n bluntly admit that profits r dwindling and that for them to stay afloat they hav to cut jobs.

?? so alternative jargon will be more acceptable?
selah
#7 Posted : Tuesday, March 15, 2011 4:11:24 PM

Burning Spear wrote:
Pastor M wrote:
http://www.nation.co.ke/business/news/Heads+to+roll+at+Safaricom+under+new+structure+/-/1006/1124168/-/q4fstu/-/index.html

he should be careful

BOB has been in the board for many years so he is not new in the business.

I think some of his strategies makes sense like replacing Chief managers with directorship posts.

safaricom need to be lean to effectively make decision .pple have been complaining of how safaricom management has been slow to implement new ideas...I once heard how michael joseph was against the ringback service but eventually agreed to test the service after being pressured by his employees.

Having your employees stay in one position for too long makes your company redundant you need to inject new blood to drive the company to new heights.

'......to the acknowledgment of the mystery of God, and of the Father, and of Christ; 3 In whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.' Colossians 2:2-3
Jus Blazin
#8 Posted : Tuesday, March 15, 2011 5:02:49 PM

aydenjason wrote:

@ayde*, what do/dont you understand by the term restructuring? Because what Bob is doing is exactly that; restructuring.
Luck is when Preparation meets Opportunity. ~ Lucius Annaeus Seneca
XSK
#9 Posted : Tuesday, March 15, 2011 5:20:04 PM

Jus Blazin wrote:
aydenjason wrote:

@ayde*, what do/dont you understand by the term restructuring? Because what Bob is doing is exactly that; restructuring.

@Jus Blazin

Allow me to respond on behalf of ay*. Two changes are happening

i)The "chief" positions are being replaced by "directors". ii) Some positions are being merged effectively merging divisions. For instance the Chief technical officer position is being merged with Chief of IT. The new position is IT/Technical Director.

In view of the above i believe ay* is right as its not only restructuring but also downsizing. I am assuming that restructuring in this context is limited to only bringing in some fresh impetus in the business as whole.

I stand collected!!
You will know that you have arrived when money and time are not mutually exclusive "events" in you life!
Jus Blazin
#10 Posted : Tuesday, March 15, 2011 6:01:07 PM

@XSK, restructuring is the bigger picture here. Downsizing is just part of it. Merging divisions is restructuring, which may or may not lead to downsizing. The chiefs who dont get the highest dockets can be given lower positions, and some choose to quit. This is to make it more profitable or manage its business much better to meet its current needs especially with the prevailing market conditions. Fewer divisions/directorates will make the EXCOM leaner and more efficient, and actually improve the decision making process. And that is what Bob is trying to do so that Safcom can achieve its objectives.

What @ayde* is saying that all this is just cutting jobs so that the company can stay afloat due to reduced profits. Now you can see where I choose to disagree with him/her.
Luck is when Preparation meets Opportunity. ~ Lucius Annaeus Seneca
wakagori
#11 Posted : Friday, March 18, 2011 11:32:06 AM

i am sure this decisions were ratifies by the board - of which yule yule MJ sits. Nothing personal. revenues are falling and they have and must maintain a manageble headcount. Much as he says there wont be no retrenchments, this is eminent. lets catch up last quarter of the year!
QW25071985
#12 Posted : Monday, June 20, 2011 7:27:38 PM

I guess there's still life in Safaricom . If only we could see a clear strategy they have for data.We need to see a more aggressive play of safaricom in data...

http://www.telegraph.co....ing-to-other-people.html
KenyanLyrics
#13 Posted : Monday, June 20, 2011 8:56:32 PM

Someone needs to take a decisive step in converting data users into customers. Right now we only have internet users for whom the internet is simply mail and Facebook, due to penny pinching. If only the full internet experience (video, streaming, consulting, conferencing, hi tech apps etc) could be availed to them, they would be full fledged customers. This can be done via dropping data charges, and availing low end smartphones to the masses. Safcom has one half right, but are they willing to be the first to offer practical data pricing?