wazua Tue, Oct 8, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Raila Odinga Spending A Matter Of Moral Concern
lekutoi
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 26, 2011 10:48:01 AM

The issue raised on Wednesday in parliament by Cherangany MP Joshua Kutuny about the ridiculous amount of tax payers’ money that Raila Odinga spent during his recent trips abroad is not a matter of financial concern but a matter of moral concern.
Spending $ 7,000 a day for a luxurious presidential suite while IDPs are still sleeping in cold, rain drenched tatters is immoral.
It is a matter of national dignity that dignitaries from a country stay at prestigious hotels while abroad for no country would have its ministers or even president sleeping in a rundown shod of a hotel but this is only right if this dignity can be reflected back on its people back at home.
For what dignity is there in meeting with delegates at 5 star hotels where in their minds they have pictures of your people dying due to poverty, the ravages of war and sickness, illness and disease.
It would have been better for Raila not to go abroad and splash the money that Kenyans have paid for through their sweat, blood and tears.
But how can a society that does not seem to know the price of money expect more from its PM. In my view he is just like most Kenyans who wish they were in parliament and have access to the money that Kenyans have filled in our national coffers.
The price that people pay to obtain money is great and beyond compare to the price paid for anything else. The time factor entailed in the pursuit of money is tantamount to spending ones soul. For this time will never be recovered and life spent is gone never to be lived again.
People from affluent areas and those from the informal settlements all wake up early in pursuit of money and they spend the whole day in pursuit of it. They pay for it through their very souls.
Then Raila Odinga withdraws this money from the national coffers and goes spending it lavishly without a care for how hard it was for this money to be obtained. He forgets that he has been calling for the resettlement of IDPs and uses the money that would have done a lot for them on useless pomp and protocol.
simonkabz
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 26, 2011 11:22:38 AM

Great Bw Lekutoi. MORAL CONCERN. Infact CRIMINAL coz we know part of the agenda for those trips, if USA n France ring a bell! Obama's pic was once taken: dude tuthaing a Guiness during a UK visit as the USA was being whipped by a tornado sometimes back. This resulted in a media backlash, raising another storm of insensivity....

Two weeks??? Was it by any chance a govt policy.... coz Kalonzo had been sent by the govt for the shattered diplomacy yet we vilified the dude to pulp??

The PM never realizes that whatever leaders do is interpretted symbolically....ata kunyamba pekee...Damn!!
TULIA.........UFUNZWE!
gadj
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 26, 2011 2:21:54 PM

This is not a matter of RAO alone the gava should change how it spends tax payers money especially when Kenyans are facing all manner of hardships. I would like Kuttuny and co. to come up with a motion on how to stop gava officials from spending lavishly our money on these overseas trips. Gava junior officials when even send to trips in TZ comeback here and buy plots after sleeping in backstreet hotels and later claim to have slept at 3 star hotels.
Ms Mkenya
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 26, 2011 3:05:43 PM

I honestly wonder how all these people sleep knowing they are spending millions of tax payers money on 'Official trips' yet the IDP's have nowhere to sleep.

By the way, what is the actual reason the IDP's have not been settled? I am just thinking that if at least 1,000,000 working Kenyans contributed Kshs 1,000 each we can resettle these guys.
....above all, to stand.
McReggae
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 26, 2011 3:34:16 PM

Statement and receipts!!!
http://walalahoi.ning.co.../statement-and-receipts

Kutuny googled presidential suite and the name of the hotel, what comes to the screen is $7000 that the USA president pays for the presidential suite in the same hotel......what an empty head we got here!!!!!!
..."Wewe ni mtu mdogo sana....na mwenye amekuandika pia ni mtu mdogo sana!".
Wendz
#6 Posted : Thursday, May 26, 2011 4:25:14 PM

To be fair to Raila, he is not the one who makes the policies of how much should be spend in an official trip. He had the liberty of declining the offer but that would have been just goodwill. Otherwise, he was within the allocated allowance.... hence, did not really commit any crime....

Now, before we sacrifice the guy, can someone just estimate how much we spend on samosas and mandazi and tea with these guys and flowers? it runs into hundreds of millions if not billion... what use are some of these? we dont have to feed them with mandazis and samosas for half a session! and they have now upgraded to sandwiches... then we know where our real problems are... it is not one person, it is the whole planning and prioritizing for our government - as a whole including those with BURNING issues. Remember the resent Kalonzo's missions and the hague group... why didnt they feel philanthropic enough to donate that money to the same IDPs instead of wasting them watching through glass?
Intelligentsia
#7 Posted : Thursday, May 26, 2011 4:30:25 PM

Sigh, another RAO thread...
YesuWangu
#8 Posted : Thursday, May 26, 2011 4:46:09 PM

Intelligentsia wrote:

Sigh, another RAO thread...

Yeah....
Gordon Gekko
#9 Posted : Thursday, May 26, 2011 4:51:32 PM

Ms Mkenya wrote:
I honestly wonder how all these people sleep knowing they are spending millions of tax payers money on 'Official trips' yet the IDP's have nowhere to sleep.

By the way, what is the actual reason the IDP's have not been settled? I am just thinking that if at least 1,000,000 working Kenyans contributed Kshs 1,000 each we can resettle these guys.

Great idea, but a question before I fork my G. Who has taken the land these people were on? If I can get an answer to this, I would gladly perform my duty.
mukiha
#10 Posted : Thursday, May 26, 2011 4:53:54 PM

McReggae wrote:
Statement and receipts!!!
http://walalahoi.ning.co.../statement-and-receipts

Kutuny googled presidential suite and the name of the hotel, what comes to the screen is $7000 that the USA president pays for the presidential suite in the same hotel......what an empty head we got here!!!!!!

Good one there @McReggae; now this nonsense about $7,000 can stop!!
Nothing is real unless it can be named; nothing has value unless it can be sold; money is worthless unless you spend it.
famooz
#11 Posted : Friday, May 27, 2011 8:43:16 AM

Wait a minute, but when the Honorable PM was answering questions in parliament, what did he say? He asked if people expect him to stay in backstreet hotel.

http://www.nation.co.ke/.../-/ky9xlkz/-/index.html

Had he showed some shock at the figure ( since apparently he did not know),I would have given it a pass. But he defended it, right? It is good the statements of expenses are out BUT his reaction in bunge shows the person that he is,he and his people would have defended it,just the way the Vice president and his people defended his shuttle diplomacy at tax payers cost.Ok now lets hang famooz out to drysmile