wazua Wed, May 29, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

side mirror thieves
jimmy1
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 24, 2011 9:49:53 AM

Most people have marked their side mirrors with the vehicle registration numbers. Where do the thieves sell the side mirrors? Is there a way of erasing the numbers?
Tebes
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 24, 2011 10:22:49 AM

This is becoming a City menace. The thugs will sell you back your own Mirror. Thieves will pluck it out even as you drive through jam or immediately after you park your Vehicle.

Have your mirrors secured by metal clips riveted to the side mirror Housing. Also have the window visors, front and rear car logos, rear wiper clip, and simply any detachable part, be riveted to the car body. Cary a gun and shoot the thugs off our streets!!!smile
"Never regret, if its good, its wonderful. If its bad, its experience."
McReggae
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 24, 2011 11:03:51 AM

Tebes wrote:
This is becoming a City menace. The thugs will sell you back your own Mirror. Thieves will pluck it out even as you drive through jam or immediately after you park your Vehicle.

Have your mirrors secured by metal clips riveted to the side mirror Housing. Also have the window visors, front and rear car logos, rear wiper clip, and simply any detachable part, be riveted to the car body. Cary a gun and shoot the thugs off our streets!!!smile

Hapo umenena kama mtu saba!!!!
..."Wewe ni mtu mdogo sana....na mwenye amekuandika pia ni mtu mdogo sana!".
captainrio
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 24, 2011 12:43:30 PM

im a victim of this..my mirrors were riveted, so the guys plugged off the whole housing....wht they then do is, they break the original mirror, put in a bandia one from the glass makers and sell the housing...i replaced mine, second hand, at 8k!! and iv vowed that the moment i see anyone of them street guys stealing anyone elses mirror, il punch, knock or SHOOT them if the resources are available!!!!
livie
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 24, 2011 12:58:02 PM

how do they get rid of the inscription on the car items......?

is it possible to have indented prints or raised ones so that it would be difficult to tamper with it...?
If you are going to be thinking only one thing, you might as well be thinking big. -Donald J . Trump
livie
#6 Posted : Thursday, March 24, 2011 1:00:21 PM

captainrio wrote:
im a victim of this..my mirrors were riveted, so the guys plugged off the whole housing....wht they then do is, they break the original mirror, put in a bandia one from the glass makers and sell the housing...i replaced mine, second hand, at 8k!! and iv vowed that the moment i see anyone of them street guys stealing anyone elses mirror, il punch, knock or SHOOT them if the resources are available!!!!

is it possible to rivet it from the inside as in onto to metalic body of the car...?
If you are going to be thinking only one thing, you might as well be thinking big. -Donald J . Trump
captainrio
#7 Posted : Thursday, March 24, 2011 3:07:24 PM

livie wrote:
captainrio wrote:

is it possible to rivet it from the inside as in onto to metalic body of the car...?

theres a way of having it riveted from inside..makes it much harder to break then..but ul not be able to close the mirrors inwards then..
Tommy
#8 Posted : Thursday, March 24, 2011 6:16:43 PM

livie wrote:
how do they get rid of the inscription on the car items......?

is it possible to have indented prints or raised ones so that it would be difficult to tamper with it...?

those marks are removed very easily they even made me wonder if they have any use.
Don't wait for the Last Judgment. It happens every day. ~Albert Camus, The Fall, 1956
jimmy1
#9 Posted : Thursday, March 24, 2011 9:31:09 PM

@Tommy, how do they do it? My assumption is that even if you scratch off the identity mark you will leave some scratches hence raising suspicion
innovator
#10 Posted : Thursday, March 24, 2011 10:09:46 PM

This is one reason which made me think that i should acquire a gun. they snatched the whole thing when i was making a call inside, i tried to run and shout but they disappeared. It had an identity.
Those who buy the joined ones are the ones who create the market.
VituVingiSana
#11 Posted : Friday, March 25, 2011 4:11:34 AM

Please do a public service by donating cash to a tyre fund so we can choma these thieves...

I support the use of tyre necklaces when dealing with crooks. Includes my MP.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
captainrio
#12 Posted : Friday, March 25, 2011 8:28:05 AM

VituVingiSana wrote:
Please do a public service by donating cash to a tyre fund so we can choma these thieves...

I support the use of tyre necklaces when dealing with crooks. Includes my MP.

let the 1st tire come from me - and if theres more thieves than tyres, then ALL the tyres constituting to the balance will be donated by me!!!
Tommy
#13 Posted : Friday, March 25, 2011 8:30:25 AM

jimmy1 wrote:
@Tommy, how do they do it? My assumption is that even if you scratch off the identity mark you will leave some scratches hence raising suspicion

i didn't get to know the name of the liquid they used, but the use of the liquid and continous rubbing on the marks made them disappear leaving the surface clean.
Don't wait for the Last Judgment. It happens every day. ~Albert Camus, The Fall, 1956
For Sport
#14 Posted : Friday, March 25, 2011 8:53:43 AM

innovator wrote:
This is one reason which made me think that i should acquire a gun. they snatched the whole thing when i was making a call inside, i tried to run and shout but they disappeared. It had an identity.
Those who buy the joined ones are the ones who create the market.

There is our problem. They steal because another driver will buy from them in the name of saving coins. Which puts everyone's mirrors and other detachables at risk.
jimmy1
#15 Posted : Friday, March 25, 2011 10:38:06 AM

@Tommy, they use high pressured sand to do the identity. The purpose of the sand is to erode/scratch a small section of the mirror/glass. I'm not sure whether this liquid can clear the erosion without the mirror looking suspicious
Djinn
#16 Posted : Tuesday, April 12, 2011 11:44:31 AM

jimmy1 wrote:
@Tommy, they use high pressured sand to do the identity. The purpose of the sand is to erode/scratch a small section of the mirror/glass. I'm not sure whether this liquid can clear the erosion without the mirror looking suspicious

Not that I am in the business, but being one who fiddles with cars, I'd say:
1 - Perhaps they "show" the lens to some flame for a brief while - let it melt the plastic and the marks disappear
2 - Cleverly spread a thin layer of super glue - super glue melts hard plastics (though it leaves a hazy surface - but that can be buffed later with some other chemical)

So, another reason not to buy over powered recycled beer cans?

Sorry, could not resist - i know its a shitty experience having stuff ripped off you car - my sis has had her Carib vandalised TWICE in Kampala - and they also do wipers over there (reasoning is perhaps because Uganda is one of the few countries in the world where it rains for at least 300 days of the year...so you need wipers - not like here, if your wipers got nicked in June-July, you'd probably not notice until the October rains)

For Sport
#17 Posted : Tuesday, April 12, 2011 12:10:12 PM

Djinn, this one's for you..
Cde Monomotapa
#18 Posted : Wednesday, April 13, 2011 12:08:47 AM

For Sport wrote:
Djinn, this one's for you..

Too funny FS n great facts about UG's rains in relation to wiper theft, I am seriously LMAO!
jimmy1
#19 Posted : Wednesday, April 13, 2011 9:11:33 AM

I have done my investigation, the thieves are not interested in the mirror, their interest is in the whole mechanical unit that holds the mirror. Replacing the mirror is around 1k or less. Replacing the whole unit is between from 8k and above depending on your car model and also whether you are buying a new unit or second hand