wazua Mon, Oct 7, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

NCIC is Coming for You
Lolest!
#1 Posted : Friday, March 25, 2011 3:36:08 PM

That is if you hate people from other tribes and you love displaying your backward thinking here in wazua, fb n other social networking sites. We have enough candidates here...but how will they do it? NCIC looks toothless to me. Anyway, kazi kwako wazua admin!
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
bwenyenye
#2 Posted : Friday, March 25, 2011 3:50:14 PM

These guys appear not only toothless but mouthless!!!! It seems that anyone whose performance job is linked to the AG's office has issues? My two cents!

He reminds me of the dragon slayer who forgot that the smiley held the sword!
Wazua Admin would do abetter job in this marketplace!
I Think Therefore I Am
Robinhood
#3 Posted : Friday, March 25, 2011 4:41:53 PM

I will believe it when they get even one conviction. Politicians do it all the time and get away with it.
Great men are not always wise, neither do the aged understand judgement...
For Sport
#4 Posted : Friday, March 25, 2011 6:15:23 PM

wameshindwa na real world. virtual wataweza??
grolut
#5 Posted : Friday, March 25, 2011 6:32:50 PM

So for arguments sake, what would you say constitutes hate speech? For example if I were to say one of the following, which would you classify as hate speech:

1. I hate all Martians.
2. All Martians should go back to their planet.
3. Martians should all be burned at the stake.
4. Let's go burn some Martians.

The reason I ask this is because freedom of speech should be upheld for ones beliefs but only to a point. I would say for the regular man, the first 2 are not views I share or condone but are opinions that should be covered by freedom of speech. One caveat though would be if these were coming from the mouth of someone with influence over the masses.

The last two are where I would draw the line.

NB: I am not a racist, sexist, tribalist or any other ist or phobe. I just want to see what Wazuans think.
In a place where thought is abandoned, freedom can become a curse.
For Sport
#6 Posted : Friday, March 25, 2011 7:50:03 PM

Grolut,
I think all the statements have the potential to be hatespeech depending on who said them, when and where (and how?). This being Kenya, we would ask you: where “martians” means? Remember that during the violence in 2007-2008, people were referred to as “madoadoa” and a host of other names which thinly veiled the ethnic identities of targetted groups.

On your two “harmless” statements of opinion.

1. I hate martians
A story is told about a US President who on assuming power commented on the moles that were ruining the whitehouse lawn. Next thing he knows is that all the moles had been “dealt” with. He didnt know how seriously all his statements would be taken since he was the most powerful man there. Leaders must speak soberly knowing they are playing to a mixed gallery.

Some statements are inherently hateful. They go beyond being just offensive - In the US, they’d call them “fighting words” – words that provoke a violent response. Again, some are universal: e.g. insulting people’s mothers (motherf***er), malaya etc; while others may be context specific (e.g. religious, cultural slurs – no end of these here). People in positions of authority must exercise more caution when they open their traps because there are those that are likely to take them seriously. Which is not to suggest that you arent responsible because youre not in authority........ You can imagine the President of of a country where martians resides saying “I hate Martians”.

2. All Martians should go back to their planet.
Around here, no one should be allowed to suggest (even politely) that some elements (martians) should go back wherever. Remember an MP being accused of distributing leaflets urging certain ethnic groups to leave Western Kenya? "To all non-Pokots, Sengwer and Sabaot, vacate our land by August before the Constitution," the leaflets said. (http://www.mg.co.za/article/2010-07-02-kenyan-govt-clamps-down-on-hate-speech)

But like with most things, its not easy to find the balance here. To tell when freedom of speech has crossed the line and become hate speech.