Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages<12
INFLATION: The biggest risk in the next few months in Kenya
KulaRaha
#21 Posted : Wednesday, March 23, 2011 8:06:21 AM

For Sport wrote:
hisah wrote:
KulaRaha wrote:
Maybe we can sack all GOK employees and reduce the wage bill...and spend the money on oil subsidies...should work.

Now if only wazua had the "I Like" button...

problem would be getting replacements who are willing to work for peanuts

Who told you the current bunch do any work? You'll not need replacements because there is nothing to replace...just savings savings savings!!
Business opportunities are like buses,there's always another one coming
Wa_ithaka
#22 Posted : Wednesday, March 23, 2011 8:40:37 AM

Nd'ung'u or one of his minions must be a wazuan. Interest rates up 25bps.
The Governor of Nyeri - 2017
Genghis Khan
#23 Posted : Wednesday, March 23, 2011 9:16:06 AM

For Sport wrote:
Kirika wrote:

I tend to think Fuel has the biggest multiplier effect on prices in general. The GoK currently levies Ksh 29/ Ltr as tax, if you add the Inefficiency costs by KPRL the costs passed to consumers starts to look ponographic.

If the GoK was really serious in taming the inflation, they would simply snip off the levy and ensure there is a trickle down effect.

But im sure the revenue hawks are already addicted to this steady revenue stream.

Are you sure?

Yes the tax is 29bob on petrol, (I'm not sure about other petroleums)... PUNITIVE!

I agree with Kirika about the multiplier effect especially for diesel... eg. KENGEN are still using DIESEL TO GENERATE ELECTRICITY after many decades in operation...

We cannot expect our shilling to do very well with the current upward pressure on fuel prices & other imports (Laughing out loudly a friend of mine is hoarding Toyota parts in his shop and waiting for the earthquake effects to reduce supplies... and I've been buying & holding EACables sharesSad )

If I were a GoK advisor I would tell them to take the following 3 simple actions:

1.Watch the numbers & if necessary, raise CBR by 25-50bps in April.
2.Cut fuel tax by half. This should reduce pump prices by 10-14bob a litreApplause
3.Do the math... issue increased tranches of domestic debt to cover the deficit as it rises.

The logic of this is that:

1.Excess liquidity is mopped up by the securities.
2.Fuel prices cut will somewhat mitigate inflation of KES.
3.Tax-Paying-Wananchi will pick up the bill of the extra debt anyway so no harm done...
4.The Tbills & bonds can be thrown back to us to invest the funds we save on fuel...

I'm not an economist & hence a bit short sighted when it comes to graphs
I know its drastic (especially the tax cut part) but does it not make sense?
"I'd rather be lucky than clever... every time!" - ME
"The problem is not what we don't know... it's what we know for sure that just ain't!" - MARK TWAIN
"Space we can recover... time never!" - NAPOLEON BONAPARTE
Liv
#24 Posted : Wednesday, March 23, 2011 7:30:54 PM

@Genghis Khan,
Part of your argument makes sense. However cutting taxes on fuel will not happen. Subsidies will not work in my opinion. trickle down effect does not work well in markets like ours.

May I ask....Why are you buying/ holding EACables shares?
Cde Monomotapa
#25 Posted : Thursday, March 24, 2011 10:47:09 AM

Liv wrote:
@Genghis Khan,
Part of your argument makes sense. However cutting taxes on fuel will not happen. Subsidies will not work in my opinion. trickle down effect does not work well in markets like ours.

I believe he thinks that EACables mines the chumaz. Atjiju mwenyewe.
Genghis Khan
#26 Posted : Monday, March 28, 2011 9:50:51 AM

Liv wrote:
@Genghis Khan,

I have stopped buying... may be if it goes a bit lower.
I am not selling either... I'm sure you understand why...

I am holding because:

1. I can't sell and you know why...

2. I believe EAC fundamentals are good... thats what my research tells me... good product, widening & growing regional market... strong position / market share... good talent in management...

The only thing (in my opinion) that can make things go south in the Medium term are LME prices... I do not understand metal markets very well so if you know something pls give me a heads up!smile
"The problem is not what we don't know... it's what we know for sure that just ain't!" - MARK TWAIN
Cde Monomotapa
#27 Posted : Monday, March 28, 2011 9:57:11 AM

@G.Khan you needn't understand what goes on @ LME...Simply go through Sameer's no.s & commentary - IMHO U should be able to draw an outstanding similarity of the fate of EACables.
Genghis Khan
#28 Posted : Monday, March 28, 2011 12:35:32 PM

Cde Monomotapa wrote:
@G.Khan you needn't understand what goes on @ LME...Simply go through Sameer's no.s & commentary - IMHO U should be able to draw an outstanding similarity of the fate of EACables.

My summary understanding is that Sameer's (& eveready's) market was eroded by chinese goods... ie cost of production in china is a fraction of Kenya's... there is also the issue is cheap (& allegedly substandard) substitutes.

EACables product are mostly sold at industrial level... not domestic consumption (tyres & dry cells)... cheaper substitutes may not exist for this market. If they do, they are not as readily acceptable.

I think the cost of production (china vs. E & Central Africa) may not be as widely different as for Sameer & eveready.

Cost of human labour is similar if not lower in africa.

Equipment & energy costs are considerably higher, I concede.

Tax is also higher but i think EACables enjoys wider support from governments comapared to Sameer & Co.. Import duties will reduce the differences further.

There is also the issue of management... EACables plan & strategy is clear to me and management seem confident & proactive... the only thing i used to hear from the mzungu eveready boss was complaints about tiger batteries??? They should have made him PR manager / GoK lobbyist instead of CEO.

I think the differences outweigh the similarities. I think EACables is a good buy at these prices
hisah
#29 Posted : Tuesday, April 12, 2011 5:30:36 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD3gXqIoFuk - With KPLC adjusting the fuel cost upwards, I don't see how double digit inflation rates will not be a reality for a few months...
$15/barrel oil... The commodities lehman moment arrives as well as Sovereign debt volcano!
hisah
#30 Posted : Monday, April 18, 2011 4:54:05 PM

This
http://www.theeastafrica.../-/6oajyvz/-/index.html

and this

http://www.nation.co.ke/...0/-/oy04gb/-/index.html

and the rush for IPOs and senseless splits and secondary offers tells me it's time for pump and dump. There will be time to pick cheaper bargains than the current prices in coming months... Stay tuned.
$15/barrel oil... The commodities lehman moment arrives as well as Sovereign debt volcano!
Cde Monomotapa
#31 Posted : Monday, April 18, 2011 6:04:18 PM

hisah wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD3gXqIoFuk - With KPLC adjusting the fuel cost upwards, I don't see how double digit inflation rates will not be a reality for a few months...

Mosdef.
hisah
#32 Posted : Friday, September 30, 2011 11:59:34 AM

hisah wrote:
This
http://www.theeastafrica.../-/6oajyvz/-/index.html

and this

http://www.nation.co.ke/...0/-/oy04gb/-/index.html

and the rush for IPOs and senseless splits and secondary offers tells me it's time for pump and dump. There will be time to pick cheaper bargains than the current prices in coming months... Stay tuned.

Back in April 2011. At times reading old posts even shocks the writer...
hisah
#33 Posted : Friday, September 30, 2011 12:01:45 PM

Cde Monomotapa wrote:
hisah wrote:

Mosdef.

Just had a look at the Sept 2011 KNBS bulletin and with inflation posting 17%+ those gok T-Bills won't be able to suppress an interest run to and past 20%... Sigh for the economy...

Month Overall rate of Inflation
Sep-2010 3.21
Oct-2010 3.18
Nov-2010 3.84
Dec-2010 4.51
Jan-2011 5.42
Feb-2011 6.54
Mar-2011 9.19
Apr-2011 12.05
May-2011 12.95
Jun-2011 14.49
Jul-2011 15.53
Aug-2011 16.67
Sep-2011 17.32

TPK
#34 Posted : Friday, September 30, 2011 12:13:47 PM

hisah wrote:
Cde Monomotapa wrote:
hisah wrote:

Mosdef.

Just had a look at the Sept 2011 KNBS bulletin and with inflation posting 17%+ those gok T-Bills won't be able to suppress an interest run to and past 20%... Sigh for the economy...

Month Overall CPI Overall rate of Inflation
Sep-2010 3.21
Oct-2010 3.18
Nov-2010 3.84
Dec-2010 4.51
Jan-2011 5.42
Feb-2011 6.54
Mar-2011 9.19
Apr-2011 12.05
May-2011 12.95
Jun-2011 14.49
Jul-2011 15.53
Aug-2011 16.67
Sep-2011 17.32

We are heading to the 20s, so the worst is yet to come. Borrowers have started defaulting and clients are not paying. Its now about survival....
As long as you're going to be thinking anyway, think big
hisah
#35 Posted : Tuesday, October 04, 2011 8:06:22 AM

hisah wrote:

Back in April 2011.