wazua Sat, Sep 28, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages12>
INFLATION: The biggest risk in the next few months in Kenya
Liv
#1 Posted : Monday, March 21, 2011 3:38:50 PM

I get the impression that CBK is not doing enough to curb inflation.

What has happened in the last 3-4 months?

- oil prices have been rising - transport costs have been pushed up

- drought is on the way - means production will be less and we have more money chasing few goods

- the Kenya shilling depreciated from Sh 80 in Dec to 86 now to a dollar - prices of all imported goods have increased.

What should CBK do?

- Start mopping the cash in circulation - by increasing interest rates.
- Controls through other money supply methods / e.g control of bank deposits that can be borrowed.

The most effective way of controlling inflation is usually by Interest Rates.

-This will help in the following ways (upsides).

1) Stablise the Kenya shilling - as interest rates go up - foreign investors brign in more forex to earn higher interest than in their countries. This results in higher supply of dollars and strengthening of the shilling.
2) Reduce inflation - when we have less cash chasing more products deflation usually occurs

However there are disadvantages about raising interest rates - Downsides

1)Economic growth will be reduced. High interest rates mean less borrowing and therefore less economic activity. Banks invest their deposits in treasury bonds & bills instead of lending to private business for economic growth. But the government can still drive economic activities through other ways - e.g. the construction of infrastructure using tax funds.

2) NSE - when interest rates go up the investors / fund managers choose to put their money in bonds & treasury bills instead of NSE. The result is that NSE share prices fall and some people lose

In my opinion the CBK should tackle inflation and ensure prices stablise.

Do you agree? If not what else should the CBK do?
SAC Cohen
#2 Posted : Monday, March 21, 2011 3:43:42 PM

Interest rates cannot be used reduce supply-side inflation (caused international oil prices and record commodity prices),

I reckon a knee-jerk reaction by raising interest rate may hamper Kenya's growth momentum in the near term especilly with the govt. looking to have a record budget in June.
Liv
#3 Posted : Monday, March 21, 2011 3:51:22 PM

@SAC Cohen,
Thanks for your comment. What should be done to control inflation...I guess everyone is feeling it.
KulaRaha
#4 Posted : Monday, March 21, 2011 3:58:01 PM

Maybe we can sack all GOK employees and reduce the wage bill...and spend the money on oil subsidies...should work.
Business opportunities are like buses,there's always another one coming
SAC Cohen
#5 Posted : Monday, March 21, 2011 4:12:26 PM

I reckon a slight adjustment of short interest rates (1-3months) upward to reflect and address short-term nature of inflation.

This will have the double effect of increasing cost of funding a speculative dollar position (reason for KES depn)and mopping up short term liquidity.

Importer inflation (caused a weaker shilling) would thus also be addressed

I would connsider sterlization using subsidies...but the arguement would become academic...

Liv
#6 Posted : Monday, March 21, 2011 5:07:18 PM

@Kularaha
Can subsidies really work to reduce inflation in this country?
Maybe the government can reduce taxes on oil products and since oil prices are now controlled this would be reflected in the pump prices.
But I gues that is the farthest it can go.... transport rates may not come down as many would see an opportunity for profiteering. Only a few businesses will gain from subsidies... the level inflation might not be affected.
youcan'tstopusnow
#7 Posted : Monday, March 21, 2011 8:58:45 PM

KulaRaha wrote:
Maybe we can sack all GOK employees and reduce the wage bill...and spend the money on oil subsidies...should work.

ShouldLaughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Applause Applause Applause
GOD BLESS YOUR LIFE
Cde Monomotapa
#8 Posted : Monday, March 21, 2011 9:14:29 PM

No subsidies please. Subsidies is equal to throwing money @ problems which is usually un-sustainable. Let us take the long route and solve the problems fundamentally. Kenya should keep working hard on import substitution initiatives. For example, more geo-thermal, wind, ethanol for gasohol. All this will cut our oil needs significantly and save some forex in the longrun. We should setup a fertiliser company and also modernise our rail network. These alone will cut down import inflation big time!!
kizee1
#9 Posted : Tuesday, March 22, 2011 9:31:52 AM

very good points liv, remember its all cause and effect...the blame falls squarely on CBKs doorstep on this one, i have argued severally that they devalued the KES by errors of comission, and omission, comission-fx reserves purchases of +500mio omission-failure to sterilize the resultant KES sold, please note that the object of the CBK is price stability and to defend the value of the KES period! they have failed on this front by trying to foster growth by printing money...CBK shud mop up the excess liquidity they created last year otherwise growth will be fleeting
KulaRaha
#10 Posted : Tuesday, March 22, 2011 10:04:27 AM

Liv wrote:
@Kularaha
Maybe the government can reduce taxes on oil products and since oil prices are now controlled this would be reflected in the pump prices.
But I gues that is the farthest it can go.... transport rates may not come down as many would see an opportunity for profiteering. Only a few businesses will gain from subsidies... the level inflation might not be affected.

Some level of support on oil prices will help. jacking rates will do nothing except slow growth...this is supply side inflation.
kizee1
#11 Posted : Tuesday, March 22, 2011 10:41:50 AM

KulaRaha wrote:
Liv wrote:
@Kularaha

Some level of support on oil prices will help. jacking rates will do nothing except slow growth...this is supply side inflation.

yes exactly, they cud cut taxes on oil imports as well as levies on pump prices...rampant inflation cannot be ignored if one is trying to foster growth
KulaRaha
#12 Posted : Tuesday, March 22, 2011 11:56:22 AM

kizee1 wrote:
KulaRaha wrote:
Liv wrote:
@Kularaha

yes exactly, they cud cut taxes on oil imports as well as levies on pump prices...rampant inflation cannot be ignored if one is trying to foster growth

And sack a few civil servants so they can balance the loss of revenue with lower spending...
hisah
#13 Posted : Tuesday, March 22, 2011 12:29:21 PM

KulaRaha wrote:

Now if only wazua had the "I Like" button...
$15/barrel oil... The commodities lehman moment arrives as well as Sovereign debt volcano!
For Sport
#14 Posted : Tuesday, March 22, 2011 12:35:47 PM

hisah wrote:
KulaRaha wrote:

Now if only wazua had the "I Like" button...

problem would be getting replacements who are willing to work for peanuts
Kirika
#15 Posted : Tuesday, March 22, 2011 12:38:41 PM

I tend to think Fuel has the biggest multiplier effect on prices in general. The GoK currently levies Ksh 29/ Ltr as tax, if you add the Inefficiency costs by KPRL the costs passed to consumers starts to look ponographic.

If the GoK was really serious in taming the inflation, they would simply snip off the levy and ensure there is a trickle down effect.

But im sure the revenue hawks are already addicted to this steady revenue stream.
For Sport
#16 Posted : Tuesday, March 22, 2011 12:58:04 PM

Kirika wrote:

I tend to think Fuel has the biggest multiplier effect on prices in general. The GoK currently levies Ksh 29/ Ltr as tax, if you add the Inefficiency costs by KPRL the costs passed to consumers starts to look ponographic.

If the GoK was really serious in taming the inflation, they would simply snip off the levy and ensure there is a trickle down effect.

But im sure the revenue hawks are already addicted to this steady revenue stream.

Are you sure?
SAC Cohen
#17 Posted : Tuesday, March 22, 2011 3:35:05 PM

mpc raises rates to 6PCT. DISCUSS
kizee1
#18 Posted : Tuesday, March 22, 2011 5:22:54 PM

hoping they act in a manner to suggest theyr moppin up liquidity
hisah
#19 Posted : Tuesday, March 22, 2011 8:01:31 PM

25 basis point hike back to 6% by MPC - Now they agree the rate cut to 5.75% was senseless Brick wall

Do these guys know what they're doing..? The rate hike is still a long way to repair the damage of the devaluation. CBK should also initiate OMO activities to mop up the excess liquidity and stop revise repos for a while. Why fund the shilling short sellers and cry foul when the speculators home in... And they should also revise GDP expansion downwards. But some analysts will still expect NSE to hit 5000...Anxious Think

http://www.youtube.com/w...feature=player_embedded
$15/barrel oil... The commodities lehman moment arrives as well as Sovereign debt volcano!
Cde Monomotapa
#20 Posted : Tuesday, March 22, 2011 8:22:14 PM

It is good enough the good ol' Governor has conceded to the concerns somewhat. Let's see how it plays out.