wazua Mon, Oct 7, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages<12
Lucy Kibaki and forced shoes...
Bree
#21 Posted : Friday, March 18, 2011 8:02:11 AM

murenj wrote:
for an ex mathare graduate, mama Lucy is doing just fine

This shows how you are much ahead in idiocy class than the claim you are putting for Lucy.

Back to the topic...its a noble idea if well planned and consistently implemented. Some of the effects of the jiggers are permanent especially when the kid is all grown, ending up in campuses and even boardrooms. But since when did we WALK THE TALK?
Dia
#22 Posted : Friday, March 18, 2011 8:24:27 AM

It's easier to teach people to be clean and sweep their houses that to tell them to spend the little they have on what they consider frivolous things like shoes!d'oh! And as mentioned earlier, once those jiggers are in, shoes will just make them confortable Sad
Robinhood
#23 Posted : Friday, March 18, 2011 8:51:41 AM

@Sanity, it is easy to talk like this when you know where your next meal will come from. But if you are chronically broke, have a family to feed, do not know where the next meal for your small kids will come from, then spending 50 bob on shoes becomes quite a luxury. It will boil down to the distinction between wants and needs.
Great men are not always wise, neither do the aged understand judgement...
simonkabz
#24 Posted : Friday, March 18, 2011 10:26:10 AM

They should also be forced to walk naked ndio washibe, kweli? I beleive shoes today are as basic as clothes n food....Very cheap n readily available. School fees were waived (almost a k per term ama?), dont say that pple cannot spare a kafinje ya njumu. Seems Kenyans will never have a concensus on anything. I think it doesnt take an interllectual heavyweight to see the sense. Anyway, in my rural Gatanga, most, if not all kids wear shoes to school (in fact I thought it was a requirement).
TULIA.........UFUNZWE!
Impunity
#25 Posted : Friday, March 18, 2011 10:51:37 AM

There is no water in most house holds in NEP and almost all families live in squalid conditions and in abject poverty!
No single jinga jigger has ever bitten them!
Why central province?I think its in their genes that jigger will attack them.Pray
Portfolio: Sold
You know you've made it when you get a parking space for your yatcht.

Robinhood
#26 Posted : Friday, March 18, 2011 11:57:16 AM

@Impunity Laughing out loudly
pessa
#27 Posted : Friday, March 18, 2011 12:01:24 PM

Pray Pray Pray
ecstacy
#28 Posted : Friday, March 18, 2011 12:18:11 PM

Impunity wrote:
There is no water in most house holds in NEP and almost all families live in squalid conditions and in abject poverty!
No single jinga jigger has ever bit them!
Why central province?I think its in their genes that jigger will attack them.Pray

That is hate speech.
Wendz
#29 Posted : Friday, March 18, 2011 1:54:59 PM

simonkabz wrote:
They should also be forced to walk naked ndio washibe, kweli? I beleive shoes today are as basic as clothes n food....Very cheap n readily available. School fees were waived (almost a k per term ama?), dont say that pple cannot spare a kafinje ya njumu. Seems Kenyans will never have a concensus on anything. I think it doesnt take an interllectual heavyweight to see the sense. Anyway, in my rural Gatanga, most, if not all kids wear shoes to school (in fact I thought it was a requirement).

Then you may need to travel to your next constituency.... Infact, that's where things are worse... what do you expect when the woman is left to feed four children and the only source of money she has is kibarua kuchuna kahawa.... while the man drinks all day long, may be comes back in the evening,beats where and demands for what she brought home? Things are thick out there and i wouldnt be surprised that 50bob is really hard to come by for some families...

But we are in agreement... its boils down to hygiene.... just water and soap.....
Robinhood
#30 Posted : Friday, March 18, 2011 2:30:38 PM

Once we are done forcing the rural kids to wear shoes, we could also bathe them etc
For Sport
#31 Posted : Friday, March 18, 2011 7:00:50 PM

simonkabz wrote:
@for sport, get real brother! How much is a set of complete school uniform? Can it go for less than ksh 500? Is it not mandatory? Are u suggesting we abolish this "EXPENSIVE" requirement so that our poor rural kids can feed? Dont allow antipathy towards the 1st lady obscure rationality....

Antipathy: meaning “deep seated feeling of dislike”?
No such feelings against the first lady. She is hilarious and entertaining. The slaps, protesting against jirani’s loud music, standing beside Baks as he declared he had no other family etc. No boring moments with her. And like a child, we tolerate her.

Wont even get into the debate about uniform. Of course they buy the uniform and then wear it everywhere....to school, to church, to the shamba etc. They’ve got to wear something.

My problem is the logic here. Why stop at shoes? You seriously think they are not wearing shoes because its not official policy? If a policy like that can cure poverty, sawa. Once they have the shoes, we can move on to the food. Empty stomachs are not conducive for feeding the brain. Try working while your stomach is singing solos. Remember watching all those news items about school feeding programmes and the state of education in Turkana for instance where children go to school so they can eat? Then once we have the food, we can move to the books and pencils. After all, what are they doing in school if they cant come with books and pencils. Once we have that, we can make it official policy to come with text books. Camel’s nose.

By the way, ever tried to give a hungry man the choice between food and shoes?
These shoes I take for granted.
mwenza
#32 Posted : Friday, March 18, 2011 7:37:33 PM

Its the height of arrogance to assume that people are poor by choice.

Fifty bob may not buy you a bottle of beer but its still a lot of money to some people.
IF YOU EXPECT ME TO POST ANYTHING POSITIVE ABOUT ASENO, YOU MAY AS WELL SIT ON A PIN
slammers
#33 Posted : Saturday, March 19, 2011 9:01:48 PM

I think this is one of the best thing that mama rucie ever said