wazua Sun, Sep 29, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

IT/ICT Industry
wakagori
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 15, 2011 1:17:31 PM

Hi Guys,

Looking at what is happening in this industry, my thoughts are - The Bubble has bust...or is about to.

Key players in the market, KDN, Safcom, Access Kenya, SGK, WOL, Africa Online, Airtel, YU, TKL, are all crying foul and embarking on either retrenchments, mergers, or restructuring to remain relevant in the market.

If bubble has in deed burst, , is this not a premature burst as Kenya is still way far behind in as far as ICT penetration is concerned?

Could it be that we are employing foreign policies that are not relevant in this market?

Or were we so short sighted to predict what the market would be in a few days to come?

Anybody with idea on what’s happening and how we should react to it is welcome.

Djinn
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 15, 2011 1:54:36 PM

@wakagori - thanks for sharing. Last year in October I proposed the same - please see:

http://www.wazua.co.ke/f...aspx?g=posts&t=9311

In other posts, mainly on listed telecoms players like AK and SCOM, I have often stated that the goin will get rough - you need only search the archives. More so AK - the writing has been on the wall since they acquired openview without any GTM strategy for outsourcing - indeed the market was not quite ready for it and still nibbles at it. Huge investments in fibre that have not been lit us since the initial premise cannot be upheld (i.e. they can keep charging an arm and a leg).

With SCOM discussions are ALL over the place but the long and short of it is that trouble is brewing...revenues will NOT see the same levels again.

Lets look at the second headline in today's Business Daily to start understanding how some players are hurting and perhaps what extent they will go to...
Djinn
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 15, 2011 2:12:34 PM

and in May 2010, some of the discussions went thus:

http://www.wazua.co.ke/f...osts&t=6728&p=3

wakagori
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 15, 2011 3:35:34 PM

I think the market dynamics changed and organizations can no longer run with the business models that they previously had, increased competition, declining tariffs and a need to maintain market share has led to individual orgs to pursue cost cutting measures, leaner executive teams and strategy changes such as mergers so as to maintain their top-line revenues and remain relevant in the market.

Safcom had argued that Airtel lowering their prices would eventually affect the market, I think its many players operating on the same market making the playing ground more tougher as they are all competing for the same consumers who are very informed!

KenyanLyrics
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 15, 2011 3:57:42 PM

There has been major disruption in ICT infrastructure industry, led by Airtel and Zuku. However, I wouldn't refer to it as a bubble. Just intense competition driving prices down. Business as usual
Borsenmakler
#6 Posted : Tuesday, March 15, 2011 4:44:41 PM

wakagori wrote:
increased competition, declining tariffs and a need to maintain market share has led to individual orgs to pursue cost cutting measures, leaner executive teams and strategy changes such as mergers so as to maintain their top-line revenues and remain relevant in the market.

Thus still the problem remains of how to survive and grow in this market beyond simple layoffs and cost cutting measures..

Safcom had argued that Airtel lowering their prices would eventually affect the market, I think its many players operating on the same market making the playing ground more tougher as they are all competing for the same consumers who are very informed!

Spread love like violence.