wazua Fri, May 17, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

hard drive failure
sirpoloo
#1 Posted : Friday, February 18, 2011 3:54:59 PM

hi
has anyone encounterd USB NOT RECOGNIZED error on an external hard drive. how did u resolve this?any software u can advice me to use?
Cardinal
#2 Posted : Friday, February 18, 2011 4:13:05 PM

I can recover the data for you and repair the hard disk
sirpoloo
#3 Posted : Friday, February 18, 2011 7:26:18 PM

what would u charge...data is not lost...its simply not being recognized by any comp
jasonhill
#4 Posted : Friday, February 18, 2011 8:16:39 PM

1. Connect the drive to a different computer and attempt to access the drive. Swap the USB cable. Ensure that the power supply is good (test current from it with a multimeter) and that the connectors inside the external chassis are still connected to the drive. If it doesn't work...

2. Try data freeware recovery tools - TestDisk, Recuva, PhotoRec, Restoration, Undelete Plus. If they don't work...

3. Wrap the hard drive in foil, put it in a Ziplock bag, and put it in the freezer overnight. This may buy you enough usage to immediately copy all data off of the drive. If this doesn't work...

4. You will have to send the drive out for data recovery services. They will take the drive itself apart in a class 100 clean room, and migrate the platters to another set of working electronics and a freeform read head. They will read all data from the magnetic platters that hasn't been physically impacted, and will send you the resulting data on a hard drive or DVDs. This costs about 150,000 Ksh. Ontrack data recovery is a good company to use for this service.

I sincerely hope that you backup up your data.

Never buy ONE hard drive. Always buy at least two. Three is better, with one stored off-site.

Hill
iKenya
#5 Posted : Wednesday, March 02, 2011 4:37:25 PM

just as they say in property... location location location.....In IT its backup, backup, backup!
Quote:
Buy when there's blood in the streets, even if the blood is your own...
Gordon Gekko
#6 Posted : Wednesday, March 02, 2011 5:41:29 PM

jasonhill wrote:
Never buy ONE hard drive. Always buy at least two. Three is better, with one stored off-site.
Hill

I have a gmail account that has google docs. I backup all my files there. I have guarantee of safety, reliability and availability anywhere there is an internet connection. I can always download any, make amendments then upload back. Best of all, it is FREE. For my photos, I have a yahoo email address, and it has something called zumo drive - it is free, I get 1GB of free space and for marginal cash I get more space - cheaper than a flash disk.... Again, FREE and available anywhere there is internet
413XX!$
#7 Posted : Thursday, March 03, 2011 8:13:54 AM

Cardinal wrote:

Yeah right - are you Jesus!?
Carpe Aptenodytes!
413XX!$
#8 Posted : Thursday, March 03, 2011 8:25:13 AM

I fully agree with jasonhill but there is one more thing to try:
Remove the drive from its casing and und plug it directly into a PC either on SATA or IDE port - it might be a faulty USB controller....
Carpe Aptenodytes!
Cardinal
#9 Posted : Thursday, March 03, 2011 9:17:58 AM

413XX!$ wrote:
Cardinal wrote:

lol,Certainly not, am not Jesus.
Cardinal
#10 Posted : Thursday, March 03, 2011 9:20:45 AM

sirpoloo wrote:
what would u charge...data is not lost...its simply not being recognized by any comp

@ Sirpoloo,

If that's thats easier,

Drop me an email at pope-2009@live.com

Elder
#11 Posted : Thursday, March 03, 2011 9:45:47 AM

Cardinal wrote:
sirpoloo wrote:

@ Sirpoloo,

If that's thats easier,

Drop me an email at pope-2009@live.com

Do you charge one flat rate or you charge per file or per size etc? I once had a hard drive I wanted to recover files from and got to one of the recovery 'gurus' and when he started talking of charges per line I just gave up. So what are your charges? If reasonable would give it a thought.
He who can express in words the ardour of his love, has but little love to express. - Petrach, Son. (That men by various ways arrive at the same end. - Montaigne, The Essays of.)
kenmac
#12 Posted : Monday, March 07, 2011 3:56:36 PM

in the simplest of problems we may fancy the most complicated solutions. for a start, wipe the hard drive usb terminals. maybe ni dust
......Ecclesiastes
earthvoice
#13 Posted : Monday, March 07, 2011 4:35:14 PM

413XX!$ wrote:
Cardinal wrote:

yea, provided the hard drive is not physically damaged, data can usually be recovered.
don't have to be Jesus smile, i've done it loads of times!!!!
"All intelligent investing is value investing -- acquiring more than you are paying for. You must value the business in order to value the stock." - Charlie Munger.